Religion & Philosophy

Eternal life vs death.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#1New Post! Jun 27, 2019 @ 02:57:00
Do you want eternal life... immortality?

Why?

Are you afraid of death?

Why?
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#2New Post! Jun 27, 2019 @ 04:53:33
@chaski Said

Why?

Are you afraid of death?

Why?

If you take immortality can you be killed? Like do you just not age or are you actually completely impervious?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#3New Post! Jun 27, 2019 @ 14:58:52
@nooneinparticular Said

If you take immortality can you be killed? Like do you just not age or are you actually completely impervious?

I was think sort of immortality like not dying, not being able to die, not being able to be killed, never aging, not being able to be injured or at least not being able to be seriously injured.... essentially being yourself at some prime time in your life forever...

in "my" version, you would be (at least at the start of this adventure of immortality) mentally sane (no mental depression, schizophrenia, no PTSD)...

...can you get in better shape or get out of shape physically OR are you stuck in the exact same physical condition forever... you decide, I think either way works for my question.

...no "tricks" like you live so long that the sun turns into a Red Giant and you live inside it burning.... nothing like you get jettisoned into space all by yourself floating around forever and ever... No tricks other than living forever.

....can you have friends with you?

Build it out anyway you want to. just don't have me in the story.

...essentially being the "best" version of yourself: forever.

OR... you can be your soul... or your spiritual self.... heaven or nirvana... in this thread YOU get to set the rules...

So, I just would like to see people's opinions...

> Do you want eternal life... immortality?

AND

>>> Why?<<<
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Jun 27, 2019 @ 16:05:07
Certainly not as a human stuck on this planet.

I'm finding it hard to think of a scenario where I would answer Yes.

Isn't Death what makes Life so "special"?

Even if we just pinned it to "1 Million Years" - my perception of time would need to change in order to appreciate the longevity. I would not want to be counting hours or days, maybe even weeks anymore. They should become as insignificant as a second is to me now.
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#5New Post! Jun 27, 2019 @ 17:43:13
@chaski Said

Why?

Are you afraid of death?

Why?

Eternal life? Hell no. I would not curse anyone with such a burden that would leave any sane soul seeking death perpetually.

I do not fear eternal sleep, which is synonymous with death.

Regards
DL
Electric_Banana On about 7 hours ago

, New Zealand
#6New Post! Jun 27, 2019 @ 19:04:57
@chaski Said

I was think sort of immortality like not dying, not being able to die, not being able to be killed, never aging, not being able to be injured or at least not being able to be seriously injured.... essentially being yourself at some prime time in your life forever...

in "my" version, you would be (at least at the start of this adventure of immortality) mentally sane (no mental depression, schizophrenia, no PTSD)...

...can you get in better shape or get out of shape physically OR are you stuck in the exact same physical condition forever... you decide, I think either way works for my question.

...no "tricks" like you live so long that the sun turns into a Red Giant and you live inside it burning.... nothing like you get jettisoned into space all by yourself floating around forever and ever... No tricks other than living forever.

OR... you can be your soul... or your spiritual self.... heaven or nirvana... in this thread YOU get to set the rules...

AND

>>> Why?<<<

I'd have to agree with GreatestIAm

There's two big issues with eternal life

1. Let's say that an eternal afterlife provides you with full manifestive control of your own tailored environment so that you have to answer to no one for your quality of existence. Anything you need, outside of companionship from another free-willed entity, can be at your hand instantly on a whim.

2. Now consider you've found your Eve for you Adam (because if only you all alone there would be no point to anything) how insured would you feel that yet another third party wouldn't find a tangible way to access, capture and exploit your eternal conscience from an access point even unreachable to you?

And what would that third party do with you? What kind of worlds would it subject you too? What dreams would come?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#7New Post! Jun 27, 2019 @ 19:13:44
@Electric_Banana Said

1. Let's say that an eternal afterlife provides you with full manifestive control of your own tailored environment so that you have to answer to no one for your quality of existence. Anything you need, outside of companionship from another free-willed entity, can be at your hand instantly on a whim.

That seems like hell to me.

, New Zealand
#8New Post! Jun 27, 2019 @ 19:20:49
@chaski Said

That seems like hell to me.

I find dependency on the affirmation of others to be patronizing

No one should be able to comment the path I walk nor how I walk it let alone their words have influence over my ways or my path.

, New Zealand
#9New Post! Jun 27, 2019 @ 19:23:47
I'd rather complete lack of challenge
than meddling or disturbance; especially by those who would over-exploit such a situation as it lucrative to them.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#10New Post! Jun 27, 2019 @ 21:51:02
@chaski Said

AND

>>> Why?<<<

Hmm.

In that case, while I might not actively seek it (or 'want' it in the traditional sense), I don't know if I'd find much of an imposition in having it. Working to help others using my accumulated knowledge while watching the human race as it goes through the space age, exploring one of the last frontiers. I can't say my curiosity isn't piqued. Even after that, assuming the human race either goes extinct or discovers all there is to know, I can think of worse existences for myself than simply continuing that work for all time.

As for whether I fear death, I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a bit of fear at the prospect of jumping into something completely blind and with no way to reverse it, but the act of dying itself or what might come after whether that be nothing or a type of afterlife? Not really, no.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#11New Post! Jun 28, 2019 @ 22:12:26
The nature of creation needs to change for “eternal life” or “eternal consciousness” to be appealing.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#12New Post! Jun 29, 2019 @ 05:28:47
@gakINGKONG Said

The nature of creation needs to change for “eternal life” or “eternal consciousness” to be appealing.

please explain
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#13New Post! Jun 29, 2019 @ 05:50:47
@Erimitus Said

please explain

Everyone seems to restate the obvious. Life is hard and often painful. Even the happy times are fleeting.

If people were to live forever as they are now then it would be sort of hell, just the same same year in year out.

I keep thinking of the Tom and Jerry cartoons where the cat is playing the harp sitting on a cloud for all eternity bored out of his mind.

I couldn't find the exact one but see the clip to give you the idea:

The new heavens and new earth (Revelation 21) indicates a fundamental transformation of the way creation works-- maybe different laws of nature and so forth.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#14New Post! Jun 29, 2019 @ 12:57:18
@gakINGKONG Said

Everyone seems to restate the obvious. Life is hard and often painful. Even the happy times are fleeting.

If people were to live forever as they are now then it would be sort of hell, just the same same year in year out.

I keep thinking of the Tom and Jerry cartoons where the cat is playing the harp sitting on a cloud for all eternity bored out of his mind.

I couldn't find the exact one but see the clip to give you the idea:

The new heavens and new earth (Revelation 21) indicates a fundamental transformation of the way creation works-- maybe different laws of nature and so forth.

ty
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#15New Post! Jun 29, 2019 @ 13:15:21
I’m happy. I have a job that is perfect for me, interests that keep me occupied in my free time, a wife I adore, and a son who is a joy. Would I want this to continue forever? Sure, why not?

But I’m also okay with dying. Besides, there are ways that “immortality” can still exist even if you no longer actually breathe again. Looking at the likes of people like Gandhi, their lives are still very much alive through the lives of others they have influenced. Maybe this is all that Jesus and Gautama has in mind?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs