Politics

English girl barred from Government job...because she is wrong kind of white

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
ugly_ducky On September 30, 2008

Jurassic Pond,
#1New Post! Aug 06, 2007 @ 00:30:15
A teenage science student has been banned from applying for a training programme with the Environment Agency because she is white and English.

The recruitment agency handling the scheme told Abigail Howarth, 18, that there was no point in her submitting an application because of her ethnic background.

But bizarrely she could have applied if she had been white and Welsh, Scottish or Irish.

Abigail, who wanted to join the Agency's flood management programme, saw an advert in a local newspaper offering positions in the Anglia region where she lives, complete with a ?13,000-a-year tax-free grant.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=473249&in_page_id=1770
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#2New Post! Aug 06, 2007 @ 00:41:17
i wouldn't of turned her down
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Aug 06, 2007 @ 00:53:39
.... The ad says "We are aiming to address the under representation of ethnic groups in these positions within the organisation. Applications are encouraged from people of the following descents. Asian, Indian, White other (e.g. Irish, Welsh, Scottish, European), African, Caribbean, or of Mixed Race origins."

She can't read all that well. I wouldn't have hired her either.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Aug 06, 2007 @ 07:35:18
she should have lied like everyone else does
holacik On November 14, 2013

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
#5New Post! Aug 06, 2007 @ 10:27:02
@jonnythan Said
.... The ad says "We are aiming to address the under representation of ethnic groups in these positions within the organisation. Applications are encouraged from people of the following descents. Asian, Indian, White other (e.g. Irish, Welsh, Scottish, European), African, Caribbean, or of Mixed Race origins."

She can't read all that well. I wouldn't have hired her either.

Yeah really, I don't have a problem with this at all.
dumdedum On July 07, 2009

-, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 15:02:30
huh? Is this because they wanted different opinions thigns of different cultures?

don't scottish and english people have differences other than being scottish and english?

I really don't get this.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#7New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 15:09:20
the story is bull.. i work with the enviromental agency on alot of contracting Jobs.. I have heard of her, and i have heard that she did not fit the critria of the job because she did not have the level of education they wanted..
dumdedum On July 07, 2009

-, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 15:11:21
@markfox01 Said
the story is bull.. i work with the enviromental agency on alot of contracting Jobs.. I have heard of her, and i have heard that she did not fit the critria of the job because she did not have the level of education they wanted..

there you go then...
Yeah the ad did say encourage....not be banned if you wern't that exaclty
innit!

#9New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 15:15:32
I nearly had a court case the other day.. A indian gy that had a Visa to work in the UK but sadly because he wasnt a UK passport holder he can not apply for any of my High sercruity jobs. so he said we where being racist.. luckly the home office stepped in.
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 15:32:04
@ugly_ducky Said
A teenage science student has been banned from applying for a training programme with the Environment Agency because she is white and English.

The recruitment agency handling the scheme told Abigail Howarth, 18, that there was no point in her submitting an application because of her ethnic background.

But bizarrely she could have applied if she had been white and Welsh, Scottish or Irish.

Abigail, who wanted to join the Agency's flood management programme, saw an advert in a local newspaper offering positions in the Anglia region where she lives, complete with a ?13,000-a-year tax-free grant.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=473249&in_page_id=1770

Since the family of ducks that raised you may not have been completely in tune with the British media, I'll just let you know that the Daily Mail (or Daily Outrage, as I like to think of it) is not known for it's balanced, unbiased reporting. It's a staunchly right wing, nationalist newspaper. Wouldn't surprise me if they funded the BNP, in all honesty.
innit!

#11New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 15:35:08
@stumblinthrulife Said
Since the family of ducks that raised you may not have been completely in tune with the British media, I'll just let you know that the Daily Mail (or Daily Outrage, as I like to think of it) is not known for it's balanced, unbiased reporting. It's a staunchly right wing, nationalist newspaper. Wouldn't surprise me if they funded the BNP, in all honesty.

that sounds about right..
ugly_ducky On September 30, 2008

Jurassic Pond,
#12New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 15:36:06
@stumblinthrulife Said

I have never in my life come across an unbiased and balanced news source.

Deleted

#13New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 15:40:30
@ugly_ducky Said

Me either, but we must speak in terms of a continuum. While many newspapers attempt to be balanced in the same way as a blind man standing one leg, the DM is about as balanced as an epileptic on a unicycle with greased pedals. And about as unbiased as an ex oil executive running a massive oil based economy.
innit!

#14New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 15:42:56
@ugly_ducky Said

The problem as i see it is that the news a business.. to make money they got to pull in the punters.. now in this story the enviromental agency being a part of the government that not one member of the media understands what they do.. (ie.. its not in there mandate anymore to deal with floods but to warn of them coming because of budget cuts) they pick on them because of media stupidity..

Few of the guys on this site can tell you a good place to get news stories from, I use the BBC most of the time, but again that can be watered down rubbish.. sky news is all over the shop.. personally channel 4 news in teh UK i would say is very in your face, and tells it as it is..

Deleted

#15New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 15:45:15
If further indication of the DMs views are needed, in the late 30s the paper supported not only the British Facism movements, but even the Germany Nazi party, and had strong ties with Hitler supporters.

That's quite the pedegree.

In more recent times they have hailed the alleged discovery of the "gay gene" as offering hope for us in the form of aborting identified gay foetus'. Since they normally take a pro-life stance, one can only assume their opinion of gay people is that they are sub-human.

Charming, eh?

My point is that the DM is not only biased and unbalanced, but has an agenda to advance much more than other newspapers.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs