The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Business & Money:
Jobs & Careers

Employers asking for too much in an interview?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#1New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 00:25:20
I was watching the news and learned that some employers are now asking for your Facebook password in the interview process, so they can check on your Facebook posts. When Facebook found out, they let people know that sharing your password goes against their privacy rules. (Sorry I don't have a link to the story).

Since when did it become ok to ask for private passwords? Do they want our email or bank account passwords next?

I understand that some people post crap about their work on Facebook, but I don't think this is a good way to check this. Do a Facebook or Google search on the person. Don't ask for personal/private information.

I personally don't post bad things about work, or bad pictures (drinking, etc). I don't have much to hide, but I also don't think they should be asking for passwords for a job interview. What do you think?
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 00:29:46
I'm sure that would go against some law or other, though I can understand their reasoning as privacy has been stepped up on Facebook somewhat recently.

I don't have anything to hide but if someone asked me that I'd tell them to shove the job where the sun doesn't shine, based purely on principle.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#3New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 00:29:50
Asking for your FB password is pushing it to far.

Though, with the way some people act and what they have NO SHAME in posting on their FB pages, it can be a good way to gauge their behaviour.

I too don't post things or pics on FB that I don't want friend of friend, or family to know about. That being said, I also don't HAVE pictures of myself that I want to keep hidden, OR live a certain way or act a certain way that would cause me to lose a job.
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 00:33:06
If, at an interview, you are asked for details of your FB account just say you don't have one. Simple.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#5New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 00:53:46
If I was being interviewed and someone asked for my facebook password, I would decline and not pursue employment at that place.
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 01:13:52
@floydgirrl Said

If I was being interviewed and someone asked for my facebook password, I would decline and not pursue employment at that place.

How about if you were the interviewer. Would you think the applicant had something to hide by refusing?
Stalkee

#7New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 01:17:05
@GeneticAnomaly Said

How about if you were the interviewer. Would you think the applicant had something to hide by refusing?

Nope, I would think they had a good head on their shoulder. Anyone who is going to willingly give up a password doesn't think too well.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#8New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 01:26:03
yeah I would refuse to give up a password too.

I'd counter offer to lower my privacy levels so they could see what was there, i dont have stuff i want to hide, but still I'm in feild that i have access to a lot of personal and private information of other people and deal with confidentiality issues, if giving up confidential information (my password) cost me a job, oh well, that wasnt a good fit for me.

like i said its not about having something to hide, id show them my page, but not give them full access. If my employer now asked for that, as a condition I would just have the account deleted.
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 01:27:25
@floydgirrl Said

Nope, I would think they had a good head on their shoulder. Anyone who is going to willingly give up a password doesn't think too well.

So, Miss Floydie, we think you are the ideal addition to our team. All you have to do now, in order to progress to the next stage, is give me details of how you really are, how you really behave, what you are like when you don't have your 'work head' on.

If I employed you, would it be a good decision?

Obviously, I would never, ever, employ you, no matter what!
Stalkee

#10New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 01:29:45
@GeneticAnomaly Said

So, Miss Floydie, we think you are the ideal addition to our team. All you have to do now, in order to progress to the next stage, is give me details of how you really are, how you really behave, what you are like when you don't have your 'work head' on.

If I employed you, would it be a good decision?

Obviously, I would never, ever, employ you, no matter what!

I'll pass.
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 01:33:13
@floydgirrl Said

I'll pass.

What the hell, you've impressed me with your insight, wit and integrity, you have the job.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#12New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 01:34:32
Set up a professional account
Set up a family account
Set up a personal account

Then give them the professional account pass word
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#13New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 01:53:26
I do think it is inappropriate, and had heard this same thing on the radio. They suggested on the broadcast I was listening to that it may get more popular to do so as jobs are scarce and it's viewed as an easy time to get people to go to greater lengths to obtain a job. However, I think if people stick together and refuse to work for people who request such things, it can essentially work like a strike. I would definitely not give up a password and would be happy to walk away from a job that requested, or so I say. I also know that there have been times when I was pretty desperate for a job, and might be tempted to do exactly as restoreone suggested, but I would be unhappy with myself for doing so. But I also don't have anything posted on fb that I would be ashamed of anyway. What would be worse to me is if they asked what other forums I frequent and what my passwords were to those. While I stand behind what I say here and elsewhere, it feels a bit like a camera in your house to me.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#14New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 02:45:30
i have read articles about looking for jobs, you have two separate accounts on your computer. your personal account and professional account. your professional account for stictly for looking for jobs and e-mail your cover leters and resumes, and never give out your personal e-mail address to any employers. when i joined the tfs, i had to have a facebook account, but i never really use it, or even look at it. i understand the reasons why employer would to see your facebook account, because with an interview, you are going talk the employer in general. the employer will get your credit check, society security and maybe background check, but after that about all they really need know from you. the employer is parnoid enough to have to check out your fb website on regular basis, if you don't want your employer to see it. don't take the job, or get delete your fb account! if you have a personal website you e-mail to anyone, you want, you don't need fb account. if you need to share your life with others, should keep your fb account, give your employer, your password tell everybody the web, your business, why not your employer. use common sense, think about the job, do you want it or not! you have a personal life, you have the right to protect it. if the employer force you take the job, give up your privacy any way, or if you are force in keep the job. and if your boss not give a choice about either way. tell your employer: " TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT!!
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#15New Post! Mar 24, 2012 @ 03:35:21
If that happened to me(being the complete Bastard I am )I in turn would be asking for the companies banking details,so I could find out what kind of business I was seeking employment in and if they )the person doing the interview) had ever been in jail,before I run a Police check on them . In my world,two can play the same game
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs