Security

Email Hacked/Virus

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 06:17:25
Woke up this morning to a text from my Dad asking me why I'd been sending him Emails with random links in them at 3 in the morning. Apparently I'd sent the same Email to all his Email addresses.

I checked my Email and two of my three Email addresses had a similar Email to that one sent to me.

It seems they come from an Email address I have but never use any longer (I only use it as my email to put into websites like twitter, facebook, here etc so that my actual Email isn't spammed with 'blah blah blah is now following you' etc.).

Anyway, went onto that Email address and to the 'sent' page but no Emails have been sent from that account in years.

Anyone know what's going on? I've changed my password but the whole thing is concerning. Has my laptop picked up a virus or has my Email been hacked?
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:36:10
No but I've noticed that happening to a lot of people on my contact list, been getting 4 e-mails a day from people with random links in.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:37:16
It's trivial to spoof a "from" address. Don't worry about it.

If you really want you can look at the header on the offending email and see what server it originated from,.
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 30, 2012 @ 20:19:29
Yeah spoofing is quite easy. DO you use a web based email veiwer such as hotmail? Or something like Outlook?

You might have a macro virus. They are quite easy to create, and are quite annoying. Best to make sure your AV is upto date and perform a scan.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Apr 30, 2012 @ 21:16:29
@jmo Said

Woke up this morning to a text from my Dad asking me why I'd been sending him Emails with random links in them at 3 in the morning. Apparently I'd sent the same Email to all his Email addresses.

I checked my Email and two of my three Email addresses had a similar Email to that one sent to me.

It seems they come from an Email address I have but never use any longer (I only use it as my email to put into websites like twitter, facebook, here etc so that my actual Email isn't spammed with 'blah blah blah is now following you' etc.).

Anyway, went onto that Email address and to the 'sent' page but no Emails have been sent from that account in years.

Anyone know what's going on? I've changed my password but the whole thing is concerning. Has my laptop picked up a virus or has my Email been hacked?

You've got a virus that's using your computer as an auto-spammer.

They call it "Zombie."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_%28computer_science%29

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Apr 30, 2012 @ 21:45:29
A zombie is more than just an auto spammer. It is basically a trojan, which can be remotely controlled sometimes by an irc channel. The zombie becomes one of hundreds of computers under control of one person the "zombie herder". These can zombie nets can then be used to launch large scale attacks on targets or for obtaining things like credit card numbers off of each of the infected machines. On the black market these zombie nets are worth bug bucks. They are often rented out for a set cost per hour. Ive erm experimented with creating them, in a controlled environment of course.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#7New Post! Apr 30, 2012 @ 21:48:09
Welcome to the botnet.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Apr 30, 2012 @ 22:05:36

, New Zealand
#9New Post! Apr 30, 2012 @ 22:57:59
@townie_guy Said

A zombie is more than just an auto spammer. It is basically a trojan, which can be remotely controlled sometimes by an irc channel. The zombie becomes one of hundreds of computers under control of one person the "zombie herder". These can zombie nets can then be used to launch large scale attacks on targets or for obtaining things like credit card numbers off of each of the infected machines. On the black market these zombie nets are worth bug bucks. They are often rented out for a set cost per hour. Ive erm experimented with creating them, in a controlled environment of course.

My computer back in the states is still under zombie control (it's been unplugged and put away for years now). I was getting a lot of complaint replies to the spam mail my computer was shipping out.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! May 01, 2012 @ 08:33:50
Why dont you just do a clean reinstall and get some better anti virus protection.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#11New Post! May 01, 2012 @ 11:02:20
It's not a virus, or wasn't a virus anyway (it's stopped now).

My anti-virus software is good and up to date and hasn't picked up anything whatsoever. It seems like it was that spoof thing that Jonnythan mentioned.

Deleted that account now anyway as I never use it anymore.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! May 01, 2012 @ 17:26:19
Kewl glad u got it sorted.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#13New Post! May 01, 2012 @ 18:06:15
@Electric_Banana Said

You've got a virus that's using your computer as an auto-spammer.

They call it "Zombie."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_%28computer_science%29

Yeah don't quit your day job.

Oh wait.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#14New Post! May 01, 2012 @ 18:15:10
I reckon he googled that, before he found out a zombie was and posted it.

, New Zealand
#15New Post! May 01, 2012 @ 22:08:29
@townie_guy Said

Why dont you just do a clean reinstall and get some better anti virus protection.

I didn't think about it at the time and I was leaving the computer behind soon anyway.

And yeah, a couple years back I suspected that my email account was being used the same way again so I researched it on Google.

I've learned more through net searches than I did in college.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs