Elton John becomes a father

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 07:59:14
Rock star Elton John has become a father for the first time. This wouldn't be news in itself as a rule if not for the fact that the pianist / singer is also one of the world's best known homosexuals.

He married David Furness in 2005 and has now had a baby boy delivered by a surrogate mother.

From where I sit, I think of this as a wonderful thing. The child is obviously very much wanted and will clearly be loved and nurtured by devoted parents.

The birth of a child into any family should be a cause for celebration, however there will inevitably be some who will criticise the event.

There will be some who will call the birth "unnatural" or "abnormal". Some will most likely go so far as to call it an "abomination". The religious fringe will no doubt call it "against God's will" (as if that counts for anything to the non-religious).

But in these days of assisted fertilisation technology and women who will, for whatever reason, allow their wombs to be used to bear the child of a man with whom they have no personal or physical relationship, I think the days of decrying such births are numbered.

The old fallacy that homosexuality is a genetic dead end is now an......er.. dead end. There was never any doubt that gay men and lesbians were as capable of producing children as any heterosexual, but were prevented from doing so by their homosexuality. Despite this fact though, the taunt endured. Now it no longer can.

Gay men and lesbians have all the same parental instincts and capabilities as heteros and high profile births such as this will hopefully cause a public debate which will lead to increasing understanding and enlightenment within the heterosexual community.

Of course, none of that should make any difference to the tiny one now starting his life. He should be kept out of such things and raised in the safety and love of his devoted dads. They should raise and nurture him to the very best of their ability and always have his best interests at the fore.

The wider debate is, however, inevitable and all I hope is that it will bring an end to the falsehoods, bogus arguments and religious bigotry.

We can but hope.
catiebuggg On April 13, 2011

Atlanta, Georgia
#2New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 08:03:19
I think it's beautiful. I don't necessarily believe in it. It's really hard to grasp how that will work out? I couldn't imagine having 2 fathers instead of a mother and a father. But who's to say it won't work? It's no one else's business what Elton John does so long as that child is taken care of and not abused or neglected. He should be able to live his life the way he wants. It's obviously going to cause problems and there will be an uproar. That's inevitable, but for me? Congratulations to him and his partner.
ItsCourtneyX On February 19, 2011

Deleted

Assville, Ohio
#3New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 08:12:05
Congrats to him and his partner.
Although I think it would be challenging to raise a child being in a same sex marriage I admire them for their bravery and I think they will be good parents.
Everyone deserves a chance to be a parent as long as they have the means to care for the child and aren't some sick child abuser.
I could see future obstacles when the child is older and starts realizing he is being raised under different circumstances than most children but everyones circumstances are different anyway.

I say more power to them and I hope everything runs smoothly.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 08:50:45
@catiebuggg Said

I think it's beautiful. I don't necessarily believe in it. It's really hard to grasp how that will work out? I couldn't imagine having 2 fathers instead of a mother and a father. But who's to say it won't work? It's no one else's business what Elton John does so long as that child is taken care of and not abused or neglected. He should be able to live his life the way he wants. It's obviously going to cause problems and there will be an uproar. That's inevitable, but for me? Congratulations to him and his partner.

Thank you for your comments, Catie and in a nutshell you have encapsulated some of the things which the homosexual community would like to see die out.

Firstly, it is good to see that you think of the event as a "beautiful" thing. Thank you for that comment because yes... it is beautiful. The birth of any child is beautiful.

But you then say you don't necessarily believe in it, and I'd question that. Why don't you believe in it..? Where is the problem..? I don't think you are being anti-homosexual but rather, I think your comment arises from the probability that gay men becoming parents goes against what you have been taught since you were young.

Would I be right in assuming you were brought up to believe in the nuclear family... Mummy, daddy, baby. Because this concept is so ingrained in our thinking, then anything that is outside of this is difficult to grasp.

But this is the kind of thinking that needs to be adjusted. Not changed, but simply adjusted to understand that the goalposts have moved. Just a little. The notion that two people of the same gender raising children is somehow strange is the line of thought that needs to be challenged.

As regards your other point, that the child himself may feel uncomfortable with himself, well, that is down to the heterosexual community, isn't it..?

If the boy is brought up in a happy, loving household he will grow up feeling completely at ease with his circumstances. The only time he will ever feel uncomfortable is if somebody starts to tell him his fathers are "queer".... or that he is "unnatural". And who is going to do that..? Not the homosexual community, that's for sure.

The only people who may make him feel uncomfortable will be those heterosexuals who cannot or will not accept him for who he is, and will only see the circumstances of his conception, birth and parental situation.

This is where the challenge lies, Catie.... educating the heterosexual community to simply accept the person for who he is and saying that the circumstances that brought him into the world don't really matter.

He may grow into a wonderful human being, capable of doing amazing things.... He may become a husband himself one day and father his own children.... Doesn't he deserve that chance without the malicious and narrow minded doing their best to de-rail his life before it even starts.?

It's not only Elton John who is in this situation. I can only speak for my own country, and in the UK there are an increasing number of births to same-sex couples. I foresee that within a generation every classroom in the country could have at least one child growing up in a same-sex family. At this time, these children are still infants and are not yet exposed to the bearpit of the school playground. We need to challenge the thinking of those hetero adults who would instill antisocial, homophobic behaviour into their kids before it gets to that point.

If heterosexual parents really...... REALLY.... care about the well being of their children, don't they owe it to them to teach them tolerance, kindness, understanding and acceptance..? Do you want your children to be good young people..? Or do you want them to grow up filled with hate, fear, violence and bigotry...?

It's your call.

Atlanta, Georgia
#5New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 09:21:28
@Jennifer1984 Said

Thank you for your comments, Catie and in a nutshell you have encapsulated some of the things which the homosexual community would like to see die out.

Firstly, it is good to see that you think of the event as a "beautiful" thing. Thank you for that comment because yes... it is beautiful. The birth of any child is beautiful.

But you then say you don't necessarily believe in it, and I'd question that. Why don't you believe in it..? Where is the problem..? I don't think you are being anti-homosexual but rather, I think your comment arises from the probability that gay men becoming parents goes against what you have been taught since you were young.

Would I be right in assuming you were brought up to believe in the nuclear family... Mummy, daddy, baby. Because this concept is so ingrained in our thinking, then anything that is outside of this is difficult to grasp.

But this is the kind of thinking that needs to be adjusted. Not changed, but simply adjusted to understand that the goalposts have moved. Just a little. The notion that two people of the same gender raising children is somehow strange is the line of thought that needs to be challenged.

As regards your other point, that the child himself may feel uncomfortable with himself, well, that is down to the heterosexual community, isn't it..?

If the boy is brought up in a happy, loving household he will grow up feeling completely at ease with his circumstances. The only time he will ever feel uncomfortable is if somebody starts to tell him his fathers are "queer".... or that he is "unnatural". And who is going to do that..? Not the homosexual community, that's for sure.

The only people who may make him feel uncomfortable will be those heterosexuals who cannot or will not accept him for who he is, and will only see the circumstances of his conception, birth and parental situation.

This is where the challenge lies, Catie.... educating the heterosexual community to simply accept the person for who he is and saying that the circumstances that brought him into the world don't really matter.

He may grow into a wonderful human being, capable of doing amazing things.... He may become a husband himself one day and father his own children.... Doesn't he deserve that chance without the malicious and narrow minded doing their best to de-rail his life before it even starts.?

It's not only Elton John who is in this situation. I can only speak for my own country, and in the UK there are an increasing number of births to same-sex couples. I foresee that within a generation every classroom in the country could have at least one child growing up in a same-sex family. At this time, these children are still infants and are not yet exposed to the bearpit of the school playground. We need to challenge the thinking of those hetero adults who would instill antisocial, homophobic behaviour into their kids before it gets to that point.

If heterosexual parents really...... REALLY.... care about the well being of their children, don't they owe it to them to teach them tolerance, kindness, understanding and acceptance..? Do you want your children to be good young people..? Or do you want them to grow up filled with hate, fear, violence and bigotry...?

It's your call.

You really went over board with it. I'm not against it at all. I think it's beautiful, like I said. I do have a hard time grasping the concept. I wasn't raised that way. I've never seen it before. I've never been around it. I've been around homosexuals. Never watched them raise children. It just doesn't make sense in my mind. But I'm not against it. Like I said no each his own. Just because it's not something I believe it, doesn't mean I can't tolerate it. I was taught tolerance. I accept it. It doesn't make me uncomfortable. And I think as long as they take care of love that child as their own, just like a heterosexual would love his or her child, then the child will be fine. And everything will work. I think it's great and I'm glad he has the balls to do it.. it's just not something I can grasp. Maybe in 10 or 20 years when you see it everywhere. It's new for me. All in all, congrats to Elton John and his partner and I wish them all the blessing in the world.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 11:24:23
He and David are a bit old to become first time parents. Still, good luck to them. I hope they manage to have a relatively normal experience and dont cop out employing staff to do the mucky stuff.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#7New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 12:32:57
@treebee Said

He and David are a bit old to become first time parents. Still, good luck to them. I hope they manage to have a relatively normal experience and dont cop out employing staff to do the mucky stuff.

I'm more worried about the age thing than anything else. I hope they have people ready to step up and be parents if something, powers forbid, happens to them. I agree about the cop out part. I don't like ANY parent doing that. I understand you need sitters and nannies, but they shouldn't be the FT parents.
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#8New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 12:51:28
I'm very very happy for them!
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#9New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 13:36:27
Ya know, there could be millions of nameless homosexual parents out there, and all of them put together won't do for the homosexual families cause what this one celebrity couple will.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Dec 29, 2010 @ 06:14:36
@catiebuggg Said

You really went over board with it. I'm not against it at all. I think it's beautiful, like I said. I do have a hard time grasping the concept. I wasn't raised that way. I've never seen it before. I've never been around it. I've been around homosexuals. Never watched them raise children. It just doesn't make sense in my mind. But I'm not against it. Like I said no each his own. Just because it's not something I believe it, doesn't mean I can't tolerate it. I was taught tolerance. I accept it. It doesn't make me uncomfortable. And I think as long as they take care of love that child as their own, just like a heterosexual would love his or her child, then the child will be fine. And everything will work. I think it's great and I'm glad he has the balls to do it.. it's just not something I can grasp. Maybe in 10 or 20 years when you see it everywhere. It's new for me. All in all, congrats to Elton John and his partner and I wish them all the blessing in the world.

Please don't take my comments so personally. There was nothing personal intended.

I simply made the point that your thinking was typical of almost the entire heterosexual community, about gay parenting, and this is the mentality that needs to be challenged.

I wasn't implying that you were a bad person, merely drawing attention to a line of thinking that is very prevalent, but is slowly but surely becoming anachronistic.

If you could only see things from the homosexual angle you too may notice the little things in what you say, but you can't see it because you aren't "walking in our shoes", as the proverb goes.

For instance (and this is just one example): Your final paragraph says you wish Elton John and his partner all the blessing in the world. I'm sure you mean that very sincerely and with all generosity. But why couldn't you say "Elton John and his husband..? They are married, after all.

I know it is a little point, but it's all the little things that make up the big picture. I once decided to test this point by deliberately using the word "partner" in the context of married heterosexual couples I talked with and I was picked up on it on many occasions, sometimes in a clearly irritated way, it would be "He's not my partner, he's my HUSBAND". Now, if the straights expect the proper titles and phrases to be used, why shouldn't we..?

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

And so I hope you can see the point I'm trying to make here. There is no offence intended to you personally, Catie, but there is a line of thinking that has to be challenged.... chipped away at..... if we are to ever make any progress.

If we don't raise the issue, it will never change.

Atlanta, Georgia
#11New Post! Dec 29, 2010 @ 08:39:03
@Jennifer1984 Said

Please don't take my comments so personally. There was nothing personal intended.

I simply made the point that your thinking was typical of almost the entire heterosexual community, about gay parenting, and this is the mentality that needs to be challenged.

I wasn't implying that you were a bad person, merely drawing attention to a line of thinking that is very prevalent, but is slowly but surely becoming anachronistic.

If you could only see things from the homosexual angle you too may notice the little things in what you say, but you can't see it because you aren't "walking in our shoes", as the proverb goes.

For instance (and this is just one example): Your final paragraph says you wish Elton John and his partner all the blessing in the world. I'm sure you mean that very sincerely and with all generosity. But why couldn't you say "Elton John and his husband..? They are married, after all.

I know it is a little point, but it's all the little things that make up the big picture. I once decided to test this point by deliberately using the word "partner" in the context of married heterosexual couples I talked with and I was picked up on it on many occasions, sometimes in a clearly irritated way, it would be "He's not my partner, he's my HUSBAND". Now, if the straights expect the proper titles and phrases to be used, why shouldn't we..?

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

And so I hope you can see the point I'm trying to make here. There is no offence intended to you personally, Catie, but there is a line of thinking that has to be challenged.... chipped away at..... if we are to ever make any progress.

If we don't raise the issue, it will never change.

Understood. But it's not a heterosexual way of thinking. You're just taking offense to unnecessary things. Just because I say partner instead of husband? It doesn't need to be changed. Husbands are for wives, not for other husbands. To me they are partners. That's just how I feel about it. There are millions of people who say partner and have nothing against the homosexual community. If you're going to be incredibly picky about every little thing, then you're the one making it seem like everyone is still against it and still discriminating.

There are plenty of people against it still, obviously. But there are millions upon millions who are okay with it and could care less. I'm one of those people. But I'm not going to sit here and let you lecture me on how to treat homosexuals or how to talk about them when I just wished them the best? That's stupid. And society as a whole is not going to change over night, it's going to take time. And it's already happening, slowly, but surely. You can't complain about the little things when people are still learning to accept.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Dec 29, 2010 @ 08:51:32
there is some condern about them being too old , but david is only 48 ( extremely young really )so he'll still be alive and holding onto eltons money when junior is , say , 20 years old .
Tanglewire On March 31, 2013

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Dec 29, 2010 @ 08:57:20
@treebee Said

I think Eltons a bit old, but Furnish is comparatively a spring chicken. I can imagine the child will be brought up by his staff anyway so I doubt it matters that much.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Dec 29, 2010 @ 10:33:31
@Tanglewire Said

I think Eltons a bit old, but Furnish is comparatively a spring chicken. I can imagine the child will be brought up by his staff anyway so I doubt it matters that much.

Yes, he looks much younger now he has dropped weight, a couple of years ago he looked older than he was. Its sad if staff do bring the child up. I dont mean that is a jealous "i had to wipe my kids arses" sort of way. Its just all a part of bonding.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Dec 29, 2010 @ 13:11:34
Hmmmm, on the one hand it is wonderful news and I wish them all the best. But, Elton John a parent? Not entirely sure I can see it. I'd say 'we'll see' but I think they will keep this as private as possible (a good thing imo). Meh.

On the subject of gay couples having children in general, it may be a good thing, but celebrity children aren't really good examples of the norm. But it might 'normalize' the idea for many people.

10 Years ago a gay couple made headlines in England after having twins via surrogacy, they now have 5 children. They did a documentary, I think this year, I remember watching it but not when - but it focused on the very normal aspects of their lives.

The thing is - kids just get on with it. So they have two dads? Some kids only have one parent, or live with grandparents or siblings. Personally, I have 1 Mum and 2 Dads, I wouldn't give any of them up for the world. Few kids actually have the traditional family now.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs