Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Alkaia On February 05, 2013

Deleted
Banned

naples, Florida
#1New Post! Jan 30, 2013 @ 01:48:42
EgoPo Theater Co. to Stage Uncle Tom’s Cabin—With White Slaves

Further complicating the matter is Savadove’s decision to swap races in the casting process. In other words, white actors will play slaves while black actors will play their owners.

I talked to one white actor who plans to audition for the show, even though his concerns are “numerous.” The actor, who asked to remain anonymous, points out that many of the stereotypes commonly associated with black culture can be traced back to Uncle Tom, from the “Aunt Jemima” figure to the hyper-educated, very proper black man.

“Those stereotypes were built off of white characterizations of blacks,” he says. “I don’t know how having white actors playing black characters introduces anything new to this story. I sincerely hope that there is an artistic objective beyond being edgy for the sake of being edgy.”

But his biggest and “admittedly selfish” concern is the dialect and language that he’ll be expected to use.

“I have a hard time listening to myself delivering the language,” he notes. “It sounds like a blatantly racist caricature.” He says that he can’t even read his lines in public.
https://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_post/2013/01/29/philadelphia-egopo-theater-stage-uncle-toms-cabin-white/

Hidden agenda? Your thoughts?
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Jan 30, 2013 @ 02:28:44
Didn't John Travolta do a similar sort of thing in the movie "White Man's Burden"?

I don't think he used the language thing though.

Hidden agenda? To stir up controversy? Maybe.
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#3New Post! Jan 30, 2013 @ 02:42:21
@Alkaia Said

EgoPo Theater Co. to Stage Uncle Tom’s Cabin—With White Slaves

Further complicating the matter is Savadove’s decision to swap races in the casting process. In other words, white actors will play slaves while black actors will play their owners.

I talked to one white actor who plans to audition for the show, even though his concerns are “numerous.” The actor, who asked to remain anonymous, points out that many of the stereotypes commonly associated with black culture can be traced back to Uncle Tom, from the “Aunt Jemima” figure to the hyper-educated, very proper black man.

“Those stereotypes were built off of white characterizations of blacks,” he says. “I don’t know how having white actors playing black characters introduces anything new to this story. I sincerely hope that there is an artistic objective beyond being edgy for the sake of being edgy.”

But his biggest and “admittedly selfish” concern is the dialect and language that he’ll be expected to use.

“I have a hard time listening to myself delivering the language,” he notes. “It sounds like a blatantly racist caricature.” He says that he can’t even read his lines in public.
https://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_post/2013/01/29/philadelphia-egopo-theater-stage-uncle-toms-cabin-white/

Hidden agenda? Your thoughts?

I'm a bit confused here. What exactly is the point to all this? I mean is this story even factual? Did this really happen in our nation's history?
Alkaia On February 05, 2013

Deleted
Banned

naples, Florida
#4New Post! Jan 30, 2013 @ 02:47:17
@Spinkiegirl Said

I'm a bit confused here. What exactly is the point to all this? I mean is this story even factual? Did this really happen in our nation's history?

Its unusual. There were white slaves, although not very prominent and no one talks about them.

But i dont think thats the idea behind it. I thought it odd myself. looks to me they are just replacing the slaves with white people instead of blacks. seems like a hidden agenda to me
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#5New Post! Jan 30, 2013 @ 02:50:12
@Alkaia Said

Its unusual. There were white slaves, although not very prominent and no one talks about them.

But i dont think thats the idea behind it. I thought it odd myself. looks to me they are just replacing the slaves with white people instead of blacks. seems like a hidden agenda to me

What do you think that hidden agenda is?
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#6New Post! Jan 30, 2013 @ 02:56:02
@Alkaia Said

You could have a good point, however....IMO "white slaves" from what i've read......haven't had the disgusting treatment that blacks slaves endured! And I see no "hidden agenda" whatsoever! It has ALWAYS been my contention that no matter what skin color a slave owner had, owning slaves was just simply INSANE on the part of the slave owner!
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#7New Post! Feb 03, 2013 @ 18:57:13
Very interesting. I'd go see it!
This from one of the white potential actors:

How times have changed. Black actors have to use that language is OK but not whites? White actors in blackface using that language was ok not too long ago as well.

And from the play companies site:
UNCLE TOM'S CABIN: AN UNFORTUNATE MELODRAMA
"One man’s story of slavery unlocks the roles we chain each other to. America’s most well-known and controversial icon, Uncle Tom, is unmasked in a wild and beautiful deconstruction of our country’s most popular stage play of all time. Part dance, part theater, wholly unforgettable."
https://www.egopo.org/shows/30-uncle-toms-cabin-an-unfortunate-melodrama

Very interesting. Should make for some great & lively post discussion!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs