The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Ebola Virus Outbreak in Africa Kills Hundred; Things to Know About Ebola Virus Disease

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Apr 08, 2014 @ 15:57:35
I moved this out of Quarantine because it's obviously not spam (autoquarantined for using this link. )
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#3New Post! Apr 08, 2014 @ 21:38:19
I read Hot Zone back when I was a teen and thought viruses were the coolest thing ever. Made me want to go work with them.

Then I grew up.

And I think it's probably a good thing I didn't because I would be unleashing the bastards on some specific people I don't particularly care for now.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#4New Post! Apr 09, 2014 @ 00:10:33
@Eaglebauer Said

I moved this out of Quarantine because it's obviously not spam (autoquarantined for using this link. )

I think Ebola SHOULD remain in quarantine indefinitely!!!!

Nasty stuff. Hopefully they find the reservoir(s) & get help quickly to those in need. Thankfully (but morbidly) it is so fast acting that it is not likely to spread far. But there is always the potential for it mutating. Nasty scary stuff.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Apr 09, 2014 @ 00:13:23
@shinobinoz Said

Nasty stuff. Hopefully they find the reservoir(s) & get help quickly to those in need. Thankfully (but morbidly) it is so fast acting that it is not likely to spread far. But there is always the potential for it mutating. Nasty scary stuff.

It just serves to remind me that humans aren't the end all be all of nature and we're pretty much at the mercy of something larger than ourselves.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#6New Post! Apr 09, 2014 @ 00:13:26
I saw where they were calling for people to chill out as they were some attacks on victims/health care workers. They are still people after all- needing help & compassion. They are not zombies.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#7New Post! Apr 09, 2014 @ 00:13:58
@Eaglebauer Said

It just serves to remind me that humans aren't the end all be all of nature and we're pretty much at the mercy of something larger than ourselves.

For sure. Can't fool mother nature. At least not for long!
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Apr 09, 2014 @ 00:14:40
@shinobinoz Said

For sure. Can't fool mother nature. At least not for long!

No-- nature will always correct itself even if it means the death of us all...
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#9New Post! Apr 09, 2014 @ 00:59:15
@Eaglebauer Said

No-- nature will always correct itself even if it means the death of us all...

We (humans) are the sole exception to the rule of damage caused by removal of any other species from the environment. We are more of a world negative than any potential positive.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#10New Post! Apr 09, 2014 @ 21:45:36
@shinobinoz Said

That's what I heard too. It kills too quickly, and it's ability to spread is too limited (it requires direct contact) that it can't turn into a pandemic. Bad for the victims since it's such a horrible desease, but good for humanity in general.

Purgatory Beach,
#11New Post! Apr 09, 2014 @ 23:36:55
@crazylikeafox Said

That's what I heard too. It kills too quickly, and it's ability to spread is too limited (it requires direct contact) that it can't turn into a pandemic. Bad for the victims since it's such a horrible desease, but good for humanity in general.

Meh. It can be direct or indirect contact, with humans and/or infected animals (or objects).

And I suspect that it's extremely high fatality rate (and the general overwhelming response to control it) has more to do with it not spreading further than it could. Still, a few hundred people here and there isn't nothing to scoff at.

McKinney, Texas
#12New Post! Apr 10, 2014 @ 22:39:45
@paramour Said

Meh. It can be direct or indirect contact, with humans and/or infected animals (or objects).

And I suspect that it's extremely high fatality rate (and the general overwhelming response to control it) has more to do with it not spreading further than it could. Still, a few hundred people here and there isn't nothing to scoff at.

That's something I heard too. It's easy to quarantine the virus, and we humans are quick to quarantine Ebola (understandable, considering what the disease does). When I said "direct contact" I meant it doesn't spread through coughing, sneezing, etc like other highly contagious diseases (like flu). I just didn't know the correct way to say it.

Purgatory Beach,
#13New Post! Apr 10, 2014 @ 22:58:56
@crazylikeafox Said

That's something I heard too. It's easy to quarantine the virus, and we humans are quick to quarantine Ebola (understandable, considering what the disease does). When I said "direct contact" I meant it doesn't spread through coughing, sneezing, etc like other highly contagious diseases (like flu). I just didn't know the correct way to say it.

Well, to be fair, I think there are places that report "direct contact only." I think it depends on the source (as to who is reporting what).

Stay away from bodily fluids; creepy, crawly dead things; and atrociously looking sick things and we should be covered.

Of course, this also could be problematic if you're unaware that you (or someone you know) is sick since the incubation period can be longer.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#14New Post! Apr 10, 2014 @ 23:00:56
Ebola comes from the butt...that's all I know and why I wear tongue condoms.

McKinney, Texas
#15New Post! Apr 11, 2014 @ 21:59:56
@paramour Said
Stay away from bodily fluids; creepy, crawly dead things; and atrociously looking sick things and we should be covered.

Probably a good idea in general.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs