Forums:
News & Current Events

EDD Benefits Likely to End

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
chachi On October 25, 2018

Sacramento,
#1New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 00:09:25
The senate is going to vote on Monday whether or not to extend EDD benefits and it doesn't look good. I live in CA and nearly 1.5 million people will be adversely affected by this bad decision.

Please contact your local representative and ask them to continue to extend EDD benefits before lives are destroyed.

US House of Representatives

US Senate

Thank you!

Sacramento,
#2New Post! Jul 12, 2010 @ 01:34:05
Everybody:

Please listen to this 3 min NPR story about this issue:

NPR EDD Extension Story

I'm amazed that only 12 people have looked at this discussion and none of them have posted a response.

Did you know that for every $1.00 spent on EDD benefits, $1.60 is put immediately into the economy? After millions of people lose their EDD benefits, how long do you think our economy can handle losing 160% until much more people are laid off their jobs?

Sacramento,
#3New Post! Jul 12, 2010 @ 02:17:18
Senator Scott Brown (Republican - MA) is one of the leading representative against the EDD extensions. Please contact his office and urge him to change his vote:

E-mail Senator Scott Brown

Senator Scott Brown
2400 JFK Federal Building
Boston, MA 02203

Phone: (617) 565-3170
Fax: (617) 723-7325
fractal7221 On November 08, 2012

Hubbard, Ohio
#4New Post! Jul 12, 2010 @ 22:38:21
@chachi Said

Everybody:

Please listen to this 3 min NPR story about this issue:

NPR EDD Extension Story

I'm amazed that only 12 people have looked at this discussion and none of them have posted a response.

Did you know that for every $1.00 spent on EDD benefits, $1.60 is put immediately into the economy? After millions of people lose their EDD benefits, how long do you think our economy can handle losing 160% until much more people are laid off their jobs?

I call shenanigans and fuzzy math on $1 of EDD benefits adding $1.60 to the economy.

Do Jobless Benefits Discourage People From Finding Jobs?

What incentive do people have to find jobs if they get paid for not working? How long should we extend benefits for? Eventually the benefits have to stop or it just becomes the new welfare.

Sacramento,
#5New Post! Jul 12, 2010 @ 23:27:31
I understand what you are saying and agree to certain extents. I can tell you that my wife and me were both laid off our jobs and have been looking for work every day without luck. We are both honest, hard working people who would rather work for a living so we can support our family but we did not cause this poor economy nor did we ask to be laid off our jobs. Our EDD benefits barely enable us to survive so that we can obtain the very basic necessities and by no means allow for any extras. Extras include such things as health and medical insurance, etc.

I don't agree with the creation of a welfare state but our government is there to protect us and if they aren't doing that what is their purpose? Can you imagine what will happen if the millions of people who depend on their EDD lost their benefits? Even if you do not agree with the $1.00 to $1.60 ratio, the effect on our economy will be devastating and long lasting.

The only reason I can think of why EDD benefits should not be extended until the economy improves is if it were to never improve. But I doubt that will happen.

If you have a job right now, consider yourself lucky.

@fractal7221 Said

I call shenanigans and fuzzy math on $1 of EDD benefits adding $1.60 to the economy.

Do Jobless Benefits Discourage People From Finding Jobs?

What incentive do people have to find jobs if they get paid for not working? How long should we extend benefits for? Eventually the benefits have to stop or it just becomes the new welfare.
vekta On November 18, 2013

#6New Post! Jul 12, 2010 @ 23:36:55
@chachi Said

our government is there to protect us and if they aren't doing that what is their purpose?

I have a bunch of court cases that state otherwise so that is a very good question.

I suppose it depends what you mean by "protect".
Holyk On February 02, 2011

Clarksville, Tennessee
#7New Post! Jul 12, 2010 @ 23:38:35
I'll be honest on this subject.. I for one have been on unemployment for the past year. Yes, a year.. (I was lacking in the beginning and then really strived to get a good job.. ) Looked for jobs in California for well over a year.. And then moved to Tennessee 8 months ago.. Got a job within a month, and then was forced to leave due to the massive flooding that happened here in central TN, condemning the building I was working in..

So now I'm stuck in a bad position, without unemployment or means to pay rent.. It's very hard right now.. And I really wish that people were able to do extensions again. Would help a lot of families, I'm sure.

Sacramento,
#8New Post! Jul 12, 2010 @ 23:54:04
Well, one would naturally ask, what is the purpose of government? In addition, what are the attributes of a good government?

I can only speak from a personal perspective, not a legal one. I know without people, there is no reason to have a government. What I think of when I say "protect" is that I feel relatively secure knowing that the beef I bought at the store don't contain e coli, that our country won't be invaded by enemy nations, that my rights are guaranteed by law, that when I am wronged there is a system in place that allows me to gain justice, etc. In my book, all of those things are encompassed within "protect."

@vekta Said

I have a bunch of court cases that state otherwise so that is a very good question.

I suppose it depends what you mean by "protect".
vekta On November 18, 2013

#9New Post! Jul 13, 2010 @ 00:10:41
@chachi Said

Well, one would naturally ask, what is the purpose of government? In addition, what are the attributes of a good government?

I can only speak from a personal perspective, not a legal one. I know without people, there is no reason to have a government. What I think of when I say "protect" is that I feel relatively secure knowing that the beef I bought at the store don't contain e coli, that our country won't be invaded by enemy nations, that my rights are guaranteed by law, that when I am wronged there is a system in place that allows me to gain justice, etc. In my book, all of those things are encompassed within "protect."

Unfortunately our rights are not guaranteed by law. We have to fight for them in court every year. It ultimately goes back to a legal one either way. With the recently court cases we've been seeing, especially in our state, we don't have a justice system as...useful... as that.

I wouldn't hope for the government to extend EDD benefits, I'd fight the government tooth and nail for them. Unfortunately that takes money and why "protect"ion is more of an illusion than anything else. My dad is 66 years old and he was done trying to fight years ago. He's just happen to get his retirement and to be left alone after his free colonoscopy.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs