Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#16New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 20:57:10
I know some people that have had surgery due to dysmorphia issues. They say they feel better now.

Not sure if that means "fixed" I don't know that anyone is ever "fixed". But mental health issues, like physical health issues can get better, to where they are not impacting daily life activities.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#17New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 22:04:23
@Cpat92 Said

Who said sexual reassignment surgery fixes it? Who said it will ever fix it?

I will admit my use of the word 'fix' was a misnomer. That being said, let's realign what this conversation is about. Is it about Body Dysmorphia and Gender Dysphoria? Only one? We keep jumping back and forth between trans people and other groups and it's making it a bit hard for me to nail down what it is we're talking about at any given time.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#18New Post! Feb 19, 2019 @ 05:36:58
@nooneinparticular Said

I will admit my use of the word 'fix' was a misnomer. That being said, let's realign what this conversation is about. Is it about Body Dysmorphia and Gender Dysphoria? Only one? We keep jumping back and forth between trans people and other groups and it's making it a bit hard for me to nail down what it is we're talking about at any given time.

It's about both. I brought up Body Dysmorphia with transgenders because it seems people only place gender dysphoria with them. I believe that there's the possibility they can suffer from Body Dysmorphia after the reassignment surgery.

, Hawaii
#19New Post! Feb 19, 2019 @ 06:44:17
@Cpat92 Said

It's about both. I brought up Body Dysmorphia with transgenders because it seems people only place gender dysphoria with them. I believe that there's the possibility they can suffer from Body Dysmorphia after the reassignment surgery.

Anything's possible, but what's the point you're trying to make here? Yes reassignment surgery carries with it certain risks. That's one of the reasons why a psychiatrist has to sign off on the procedure before it can be done. How people think and feel can be shaped and changed by large events. Getting married, a death in the family, surgery, all of them can spark a change in a persons psyche.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#20New Post! Feb 19, 2019 @ 15:45:21
@nooneinparticular Said

Anything's possible, but what's the point you're trying to make here? Yes reassignment surgery carries with it certain risks. That's one of the reasons why a psychiatrist has to sign off on the procedure before it can be done. How people think and feel can be shaped and changed by large events. Getting married, a death in the family, surgery, all of them can spark a change in a persons psyche.

My original point was that it would be a bad idea for them to be taken from the DSM 5. Especially, Gender Dysphoria. How can a counselor be expected to help an individual when people deems it as not a real issue?

, Hawaii
#21New Post! Feb 19, 2019 @ 19:59:22
@Cpat92 Said

My original point was that it would be a bad idea for them to be taken from the DSM 5. Especially, Gender Dysphoria. How can a counselor be expected to help an individual when people deems it as not a real issue?

I'm not sure what the APA and other organizations state side plan on doing, but the WHO simply decided to change the category of Gender Dysphoria from a mental illness issue to a sexual health one.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#22New Post! Feb 19, 2019 @ 20:46:22
@nooneinparticular Said

I'm not sure what the APA and other organizations state side plan on doing, but the WHO simply decided to change the category of Gender Dysphoria from a mental illness issue to a sexual health one.

Would that affect insurance coverage?

I would think removing it from DSM would.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#23New Post! Feb 19, 2019 @ 20:55:55
With it in the DSM it means all transgender persons are “mentally ill” just for existing. Like they removed homosexuality from it years ago. Before if you were gay you were “mentally ill” and need to be “cured”

It’s about legitimizing the existence of the effected people, that their identities are valid. They may still have coping issues (who doesn’t) or body dysmorphia but it is outside of their identity.

I hope that made sense.

, Hawaii
#24New Post! Feb 19, 2019 @ 22:01:36
@mrmhead Said

Would that affect insurance coverage?

I would think removing it from DSM would.

I don't really know. If the APA, or whatever standard the company uses to define medical need, doesn't consider sexual health as part of medical need, then it might stop being covered. Sexual health is rather...odd when it comes to insurance. For instance, ED pills are not typically covered under insurance, but corrective implant surgery is. I don't really get it and I don't really know how insurance companies might react to the new classification. Some medication is apparently covered under some insurance plans, but that seems to be at the discretion of the company's selling the plans so I don't really know what will happen there. The ACA attempted to force all plans to cover mental health, but who knows how long that will remain true.

All in all, it's really hard for me to say much of anything substantive here, which may be one of the reasons insurance hasn't really been part of the conversation in the psychiatric community. Most of them apparently privately practice and don't take insurance anyway.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#25New Post! Feb 20, 2019 @ 00:13:05
@DiscordTiger Said

With it in the DSM it means all transgender persons are “mentally ill” just for existing. Like they removed homosexuality from it years ago. Before if you were gay you were “mentally ill” and need to be “cured”

It’s about legitimizing the existence of the effected people, that their identities are valid. They may still have coping issues (who doesn’t) or body dysmorphia but it is outside of their identity.

I hope that made sense.

That was the original idea, but those within the APA and many counselors know for a fact that it doesn't mean all transgenders are mentally ill. With that in the DSM 5, it can aid counselors in aiding those who need assistance coping with the change.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#26New Post! Feb 20, 2019 @ 00:31:31
@Cpat92 Said

That was the original idea, but those within the APA and many counselors know for a fact that it doesn't mean all transgenders are mentally ill. With that in the DSM 5, it can aid counselors in aiding those who need assistance coping with the change.

But if it - anything - get's "Delisted", doesn't mean all the history and information is deleted.

If it gets re-categorized, the information goes with it.

Are caregivers limited to just what is in the DSM 5?
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#27New Post! Feb 20, 2019 @ 00:43:36
@mrmhead Said

But if it - anything - get's "Delisted", doesn't mean all the history and information is deleted.

If it gets re-categorized, the information goes with it.

Are caregivers limited to just what is in the DSM 5?

The DSM-5 is there to aid psychologists and psychiatrists. It doesn't limit them, but at the same time with the removal, that can also lead to many who seek help not wanting help, or unable to seek help. Just like many individuals in various careers, psychologists and psychiatrists come and go. Many of the new ones may not know how to help them, and they may be taught not help them as they may not need help. While it's true that the history may be deemed unimportant, or irrelevant. The most it may be good for is research papers.

, Hawaii
#28New Post! Feb 20, 2019 @ 23:49:22
@Cpat92 Said

The DSM-5 is there to aid psychologists and psychiatrists. It doesn't limit them, but at the same time with the removal, that can also lead to many who seek help not wanting help, or unable to seek help. Just like many individuals in various careers, psychologists and psychiatrists come and go. Many of the new ones may not know how to help them, and they may be taught not help them as they may not need help. While it's true that the history may be deemed unimportant, or irrelevant. The most it may be good for is research papers.

The DSM is a double edged sword. Mental health is still stigmatized in this country. Listing it can also lead to many who seek help end up not wanting it, or unable to seek it.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#29New Post! Feb 21, 2019 @ 06:02:00
@nooneinparticular Said

The DSM is a double edged sword. Mental health is still stigmatized in this country. Listing it can also lead to many who seek help end up not wanting it, or unable to seek it.

There's a higher chance of helping them with it listed than if it's gone.

, Hawaii
#30New Post! Feb 21, 2019 @ 08:01:48
@Cpat92 Said

There's a higher chance of helping them with it listed than if it's gone.

I'm not really convinced of that. You yourself said that the DSM doesn't really limit psychiatrists nor psychologists. Honestly, I feel like if the concern is poor education for 'the next generation of psychologists and psychiatrists', then the problems probably less to do with the state of the DSM and more to do with the quality of the teachers.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs