The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Racism

Does telling a racist joke make you racist??

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
MissLiz On June 28, 2009

, New Jersey
#31New Post! Jun 14, 2009 @ 16:36:14
im not sure. for me whenever i make comments like that im not intending on offending specific people, its like playing of stereotypes so for me its racist of stereotypes that may or may not exist.
Jwcey On June 12, 2013

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
#32New Post! May 18, 2013 @ 05:08:06
@MyMayBabies Said

i think in general some people sometimes look for reasons to be offended...also if a white comedian makes fun out of black people there is national uproar but if a black comedian (for example that dude in america...goofy one...is it jamie fox??) cant remember his name but he slams white people all the time and its apparently hilarious. I think private jokes in your own home is different to say comedians who are seen by millions of people.

I hate when when white people say this crap. it's getting old dude. plenty of white comedians make fun of black people just like black comedians make fun of white people. uproar? are you insane? because when white comedians make fun of blacks i am usually the main one laughing my a** off. but what's so funny about this post is that a black person started it, (she's pretty too by the way) and she's talking from the perspective as if she is not black? or am i missing something here?
Jwcey On June 12, 2013

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
#33New Post! May 18, 2013 @ 05:13:58
@shinobinoz Said

That's the difference. Laughing at one's self, and laughing at another's race are entirely two different things.

You cannot do anything to change your race.

I agree. let's not sugarcoat junk. i've never heard a racist joke about blacks calling each other brother... that's a race joke, not a racist joke... lol but some of my white friends have told me inappropriate black racial jokes. and even though they have me practically dying on the ground with laughter, i know that these jokes are not friendly towards blacks in their natural state. they were made to be more offensive than funny... if i'm laughing because a joke is funny, that's one thing. but if i'm laughing because what was said was so hateful and too ridiculous to possibly be a joke, that's a whole different can of worms.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#34New Post! May 18, 2013 @ 19:16:26
Yeah, me & my friends can say things toward each other that we would never say to strangers. We are of many different races & nationalities & it is never done in hate.

You are really correct here. Acknowledging hatefulness makes it reasonable to the average joe to not say things towards others that can be misconstrued.
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#35New Post! May 19, 2013 @ 03:25:22
What about short people jokes, fat jokes, ugly jokes, blonde jokes, Helen Keller jokes, Little Johnny jokes ( does every person named Johnny need be offended?)
No one can offend you other than you. Words are merely words and if you are that sensitive you need to grow a pair.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#36New Post! May 19, 2013 @ 03:31:09
@rocket48 Said

What about short people jokes, fat jokes, ugly jokes, blonde jokes, Helen Keller jokes, Little Johnny jokes ( does every person named Johnny need be offended?)
No one can offend you other than you. Words are merely words and if you are that sensitive you need to grow a pair.

I'd prefer insensitive a*****es just keep their traps shut. That is preferable.
Dolphin234 On May 31, 2013

, United Kingdom
#37New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 21:34:04
Depends wether it is a friendly joke. Like rocket48 said, people take the mick out of others all the time and everyone gets it.
It's when 2 white people are telling a racist joke behind someones back, that's racist.

So it's the difference of making a small joke to make others including the other race laugh or deliberatly insulting someone.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#38New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 22:25:43
only if you believe their content
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#39New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 22:40:40
Does telling a racist joke make you racist??

Unless you claim adamantly that you are not really a racist because some of your best friends are from the racial group that you were telling the joke about.
Grrrl On June 01, 2014

, United Kingdom
#40New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 22:53:03
In my opinion, if you laugh at racist jokes, you are endorsing racism. You might not be a racist, but you're letting everyone around you know that racism is basically ok by you. This might be ok around friends who know that you're not racist, but is super problematic when you're with strangers and/or actual racists, who might take you at face value.

I've probably laughed at racist jokes, but it's always an involuntary embarrassed, choked back laugh, because even in the moment of laughing - I feel bad! If I do laugh, I always make sure that I say something to indicate to people around me that I don't agree with what's being said. I'm sure a lot of people will consider that having a stick up my ass, but on this occasion, I firmly stand by the side of political correctness.

There's also a difference between a racist joke and a joke that includes race or subverts racial stereotyping - most really easily offended people in my experience can't hear the difference!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs