The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Racism

Does telling a racist joke make you racist??

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
RrrendezVoodoo2 On July 10, 2015

#16New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 07:36:39
@MyMayBabies Said

i think in general some people sometimes look for reasons to be offended

I couldn't agree more
cjm31 On July 05, 2012

Jerusalem, Israel
#17New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 07:53:07
making fun of your own race cannot make you racist but making fun of others I would not recommend depends on the company. I have friends of many races and when we are together we make remarks about one another race with no offense taken but I would never make a racist comment among people I don't know well.
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#18New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 10:06:11
@rubylights Said

I wouldnt think so. Ive laughed at many racist jokes and even told some once in a while but I dont think that makes me a racist, just maybe a little insensitive at worst. I have no problem with someone sharing a racist joke with me even about my own race as long as I can tell there is no malice behind it. But I ask this question because I shared a black racist joke with my black ex boyfried and he accused me of being a narrow-minded bigot. told him that if he wasnt comfrtable enough with who he was to be able to laugh about it he was the narrow-minded one. and would I really be going out with him if I was a racist?

anyways MHO is that racist jokes are just words to make you laugh and there is nothing wrong with them

as long as they are not used at an inappropriate time and/or with a racist attiude...

words are just words after all right??

or do you think that even laughing at one of these jokes is just sick??

Depends on the joke. Technically, Irish jokes are rascist but most are very funny. It's pretty much accepted that not all Irish people are foolish or drunks, but I have no doubt there are some Irish people who do find them offensive.

Jokes about a particular racial group are only funny to me if they are not cruel. There's a big difference between poking fun & laughing at some other races terrible misfortune. I think most of us know the difference. When a racial joke goes too far, the uncomfortable silence is deafening.
rubylights On November 30, 2021

Miami, Florida
#19New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 14:47:56
@cjm31 Said

making fun of your own race cannot make you racist but making fun of others I would not recommend depends on the company. I have friends of many races and when we are together we make remarks about one another race with no offense taken but I would never make a racist comment among people I don't know well.

my stance exactly
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#20New Post! May 14, 2009 @ 04:54:47
I was taught- if you start a joke "Hey did you here the one about....." *then looks left and then right to see who might be overhearing*
You'd best not tell it.

Racism is racism. The joke can be funny in one situation and yet not in another. Much depends on why it is being told.
You laughing with them or at them?

Ever see "The Jerk"? Could possibly offend but was meant to enlighten.

Great flick by the way.
karlie On July 08, 2009

San Diego, California
#21New Post! May 14, 2009 @ 05:27:26
nah, its all in good fun
Alanna On February 13, 2010

Cincinnati,
#22New Post! May 15, 2009 @ 12:22:51
@rubylights Said

Does telling a racist joke make you racist?

I don't know but it sure can make you look like a silly, jealous, old fool. I overheard an old white man telling a department store clerk a really stupid racist joke about putting Obama's dog to sleep.
My reply was - It's good I suppose that we don't put silly old men to sleep.

I didn't vote for Obama, but I think he's doing a great job. I think many white men are jealous of him.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#23New Post! May 16, 2009 @ 00:31:10
There are many types of jokes. Jokes that are meant to hurt an individual suck. Jokes that are meant to hurt a race of people are flat out wrong.
glassman55 On November 01, 2010

Deleted

Dingwall, United Kingdom
#24New Post! May 16, 2009 @ 00:37:46
@rubylights Said

I wouldnt think so. Ive laughed at many racist jokes and even told some once in a while but I dont think that makes me a racist, just maybe a little insensitive at worst. I have no problem with someone sharing a racist joke with me even about my own race as long as I can tell there is no malice behind it. But I ask this question because I shared a black racist joke with my black ex boyfried and he accused me of being a narrow-minded bigot. told him that if he wasnt comfrtable enough with who he was to be able to laugh about it he was the narrow-minded one. and would I really be going out with him if I was a racist?

anyways MHO is that racist jokes are just words to make you laugh and there is nothing wrong with them

as long as they are not used at an inappropriate time and/or with a racist attiude...

words are just words after all right??

or do you think that even laughing at one of these jokes is just sick??

It's only really 'socially' racist if it is said to a person of the group you're making fun of and it is intentionally used to offend someone.
flange666 On May 02, 2012

, United Kingdom
#25New Post! May 16, 2009 @ 00:40:35
Actually I think that telling a racist joke does make you racist.

Laughing at it..........does not.

Yeah s*** I know 8)
curiouskat On February 16, 2010

Deleted

Adelaide, Australia
#26New Post! May 25, 2009 @ 06:55:40
I think its a really good quality to be able to laugh at yourself, stereotypes have always and will always exist, ie blondes do tend to be a little silly at times and black people do tend to call everyone brother etc. So go ahead, take the piss hun!!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#27New Post! May 25, 2009 @ 16:07:42
@curiouskat Said

I think its a really good quality to be able to laugh at yourself, stereotypes have always and will always exist, ie blondes do tend to be a little silly at times and black people do tend to call everyone brother etc. So go ahead, take the piss hun!!

That's the difference. Laughing at one's self, and laughing at another's race are entirely two different things.

You cannot do anything to change your race.
Cynthiaa89 On June 25, 2009

Haughton/Bossier, Louisiana
#28New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 01:26:16
Racist jokes are racist..but...I have black friends that have told me racist jokes about black people and laughed..therefore, it all depends on who you're talking to.
Xavery On August 15, 2023
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#29New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 02:41:09
I dont think it makes a person a racist. It is probably not the best thing to do, but sometimes we all regress and act a little silly.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs