The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Racism

Does anyone else relate young, black males to crime?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
sneaver On December 01, 2009

Tampa,
#1New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 04:20:46
For my latest project at school I am trying to unlearn a bias or prejudice. My bias/prejudice is that I relate young, black males to crime or criminal intentions. In other words, if I were to see a group of a black males come into a gas station while I am there, my mind might quickly tell me that they might rob the gas station. This is just one example. To clarify, this prejudice does not include black women, children, or older males. It only includes black males from the ages of 16-30, more or less. Anyone else have this prejudice? Or does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
Xavery On August 15, 2023
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#2New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 04:42:23
This is a wonderful endeavor. Have you seen the movie Crash? It addresses this stereotype. I think you should look at crime stats and see if there is any validity in this stereotype. Perhaps, people who are poor are more apt to commit crimes and perhaps blacks are more likely to be poor. And then, ask yourself why this is.

Sadly, I think stereotypes often have a basis in reality much like rumours.
Allyson On January 20, 2010

Deleted

, Michigan
#3New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 04:46:47
I think its wrong to relate any group to sterotypes.
Just as it is wrong to hate all people in one country.
angeliclala On July 31, 2013

, Utah
#4New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 04:47:02
i dont have that prejudice but there was a little study done at a univeristy i think it was somewhere on the east coast.
the professor was teaching a psychology class and at the beginning of the class he had a pic of a white man holding a knife on an easle and a black man on another not holding anything. he didnt say a word to his students about the pics and took them down 5 min later. at the end of class he asked his students who was holding the knife and almost all said the black man was. because they associate crime with black people..
vekta On November 18, 2013

#5New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 04:50:07
I don't care what color there skin is. If I see a group of guys walking down the street I'd keep one eye on all of them. Will I assume they're going to commit a crime? No. But I will be painfully aware that they are more of them then there are of me and the situation could get nasty pretty quick if they really are out looking for trouble and I drop my guard.
sneaver On December 01, 2009

Tampa,
#6New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 05:02:03
To Allyson:

I do not hate young, black guys. My mind makes and association. I also associate certain types of white people to certain types of activities. It doesn't mean I hate white people.
Jason13 On October 22, 2010

Melbourne, Australia
#7New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 05:19:05
@Xavery Said

This is a wonderful endeavor. Have you seen the movie Crash? It addresses this stereotype. I think you should look at crime stats and see if there is any validity in this stereotype. Perhaps, people who are poor are more apt to commit crimes and perhaps blacks are more likely to be poor. And then, ask yourself why this is.

Sadly, I think stereotypes often have a basis in reality much like rumours.

that is pretty funny in crash though! Only because it turns out that they ARE in fact muggers.

was going to try and justify why I thought it was funny, but f'k it, it's a movie, read into it what you will

Melbourne, Australia
#8New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 05:20:51
@sneaver Said

To Allyson:

I do not hate young, black guys. My mind makes and association. I also associate certain types of white people to certain types of activities. It doesn't mean I hate white people.

The mind associates what it associates. A lot of people associate me with violent crimes because of the way I look. (before anyone says anything, I'm NOT talking about the Jason Avatar)...I just know I was going to have to clear that up sooner or later!
TheBlackGhost On August 27, 2014

Chicago, Illinois
#9New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 05:26:24
Unfortunately, some steryotypes are true...well at least statistically. Obviously that shouldnt change the fact that we shouldnt act on steryotypes, and should discourage them.

The problem is, sometimes racial profiling is just too right, or it is right in enough situations for us to validate our previous thoughts on a group of people.

However, one must remember all steryotypes and cultural personalities are the result of culture and history--to say its genetic is completely wrong.

Melbourne, Australia
#10New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 05:32:28
TBG, I'm not having a go at you, this is merely for anyone that wants to argue stereotypes being true/valid or not.

Of course some of them are true! They became stereotypes for a reason, and that reason is that at some point in time majority of it was fact. I don't think that needs any more elaboration?
Allyson On January 20, 2010

Deleted

, Michigan
#11New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 05:35:27
@sneaver Said

To Allyson:

Thanks for clearing that up
diomedes On March 22, 2013

Long Beach, California
#12New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 05:40:51
No my mind doesn't immediately jump to "oh crap they're up to no good".
geojames55 On June 23, 2010

Putney, Vermont
#13New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 05:53:55
@sneaver Said

For my latest project at school I am trying to unlearn a bias or prejudice. My bias/prejudice is that I relate young, black males to crime or criminal intentions. In other words, if I were to see a group of a black males come into a gas station while I am there, my mind might quickly tell me that they might rob the gas station. This is just one example. To clarify, this prejudice does not include black women, children, or older males. It only includes black males from the ages of 16-30, more or less. Anyone else have this prejudice? Or does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

I only associate young black males with crime only if I knew a specific young black male that has and still does big crimes. Otherwise, they are still human. If this (what I wrote) sounds racist, it's not.
geojames55 On June 23, 2010

Putney, Vermont
#14New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 05:57:24
@angeliclala Said

i dont have that prejudice but there was a little study done at a univeristy i think it was somewhere on the east coast.
the professor was teaching a psychology class and at the beginning of the class he had a pic of a white man holding a knife on an easle and a black man on another not holding anything. he didnt say a word to his students about the pics and took them down 5 min later. at the end of class he asked his students who was holding the knife and almost all said the black man was. because they associate crime with black people..

That is horrible! Ever watch the show cops? That show isn't real and the cops are mainly white males and the "bad guys" are usually are not white and male. I think that it is dumb.
Coleosis On December 01, 2013
Don't care

Mustang, Oklahoma
#15New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 07:02:13
I associate young males with stupidity...Doesnt matter your color, you get more than one young male, and someone is going to do something stupid...I do watch the bigger ones a little closer usually.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs