Does Islam / the Quran teach Violence?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#1New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 10:43:26
I have never been a very religious person. And have always been able to stay shy of most bible thumping holy rollers. And until now knew less then nothing about muslims,the Quran and Islam .
But the thread I started about them 5 guys from the Washington DC area that left the US with plans to join up with the terrorists to kill Americans got me to really thinking about that book them terrorists swear by ,the Quran. I googled "what does the the Quran teach about other beliefs' and ' does the the Quran lead to violence?'
here is just one of the many sites I found.

Quote:

Would someone please explain what motivated Nidal Hasan, who at taxpayers' expense was educated from college all the way through medical school and post medical-school training, to turn his deadly weapons against the nation that gave him everything he had?

If Islam had nothing to do with what Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan did, then why:

did he repeatedly preach the ascendancy of Islam over the U.S. Constitution?
did he publicly support Islamic suicide-bombing?
did he proclaim his highest loyalty to Islam?
was he in contact with violent anti-U.S. Islamists and a virulent Yemeni Imam?
did he distribute copies of the Quran to people the morning of his bloody attack?
did he keep screaming "Allahu akbar" as he heartlessly sprayed over a hundred bullets, killing thirteen and injuring some thirty innocent men and women?

Here is the truth, as bitter as it may be

Violence is institutionalized in the Muslims' holy book, the Quran, in many suras:

Quran 9:5 "Fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, harass them, lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war."

9:112 "The Believers fight in Allah's cause; they slay and are slain, kill and are killed."

8:39 "So fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief [non-Muslims]) and all submit to the religion of Allah alone (in the whole world)."

8:65 "O Prophet, urge the faithful to fight. If there are twenty among you with determination they will vanquish two hundred; if there are a hundred then they will slaughter a thousand unbelievers, for the infidels are a people devoid of understanding."

9:38 "Believers, what is the matter with you, that when you are asked to go forth and fight in Allah's Cause you cling to the earth? Do you prefer the life of this world to the Hereafter? Unless you go forth, He will afflict and punish you with a painful doom, and put others in your place."

47:4 "When you clash with the unbelieving Infidels in battle (fighting Jihad in Allah's Cause), smite their necks until you overpower them, killing and wounding many of them. At length, when you have thoroughly subdued them, bind them firmly, making (them) captives. Thereafter either generosity or ransom (them based upon what benefits Islam) until the war lays down its burdens. Thus are you commanded by Allah to continue carrying out Jihad against the unbelieving infidels until they submit to Islam."

https://islam-watch.org/iw-new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=250:does-islam-breed-violence&catid=48:imani&Itemid=58
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#2New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 10:56:31
I think in any religion, certain people will take it too far. Look at some xtreme Christians killing abortion doctors and hiding behing religion. Thou not kill covers everyone, even abortion doctors.

They are some go want to wage a holy war on us but I think those are few and far between. Only crackpots use religion as a mask to kill and commit unspeakable acts.

God does not want any of that and would not tell someone to kill and use religion.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 11:04:40
There are going to be extremist nutters in any religion, having strong beliefs in anything can make you become a little aggressive if they are challenged. So no, I don't think so.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#4New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 11:07:37
@DorkySupergirl Said

I think in any religion, certain people will take it too far. Look at some xtreme Christians killing abortion doctors and hiding behing religion. Thou not kill covers everyone, even abortion doctors.

They are some go want to wage a holy war on us but I think those are few and far between. Only crackpots use religion as a mask to kill and commit unspeakable acts.

God does not want any of that and would not tell someone to kill and use religion.

I have no problem with the folks that are not
bible thumping holy rollers' .
And the only reason I anything about them is to clarify from the start that I know very little about either books, Bible or Quran.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#5New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 11:10:29
@sister_of_mercy Said

There are going to be extremist nutters in any religion, having strong beliefs in anything can make you become a little aggressive if they are challenged. So no, I don't think so.

Your saying that these quotes from the book the Quran are not teaching violence toward other beliefs?
Quote:
Quran 9:5 "Fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, harass them, lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war."

9:112 "The Believers fight in Allah's cause; they slay and are slain, kill and are killed."

8:39 "So fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief [non-Muslims]) and all submit to the religion of Allah alone (in the whole world)."

8:65 "O Prophet, urge the faithful to fight. If there are twenty among you with determination they will vanquish two hundred; if there are a hundred then they will slaughter a thousand unbelievers, for the infidels are a people devoid of understanding."

9:38 "Believers, what is the matter with you, that when you are asked to go forth and fight in Allah's Cause you cling to the earth? Do you prefer the life of this world to the Hereafter? Unless you go forth, He will afflict and punish you with a painful doom, and put others in your place."

47:4 "When you clash with the unbelieving Infidels in battle (fighting Jihad in Allah's Cause), smite their necks until you overpower them, killing and wounding many of them. At length, when you have thoroughly subdued them, bind them firmly, making (them) captives. Thereafter either generosity or ransom (them based upon what benefits Islam) until the war lays down its burdens. Thus are you commanded by Allah to continue carrying out Jihad against the unbelieving infidels until they submit to Islam."

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 11:16:59
@iwannano Said

Your saying that these quotes from the book the Quran are not teaching violence toward other beliefs?

That would not be taken that literally though, or at least that's what my Muslim friends would say. It's like in the Bible, you wouldn't actually take the whole thing of Abraham sacrificing his son to mean that you should literally do that for God. It's more about the idea of standing up for your religion and self sacrifice I think.

I've studied Islam quite a bit and I know that at the heart of it, their religion is about tolerance and accepting other people from other faiths, it's something that the Islamic community are very active in. One of the main components in Islamic belief is to show compassion towards everyone, regardless of religion.

I would also say that the Qua'ran was written centuries ago so society was, I imagine violence would have been more prevalent back then. It obviously isn't preaching physical violence now, more of fighting off sin and staying strong in their beliefs.

You said you don't know that much about it- you might want to read up some more about the basic parts of it, because it isn't as extreme as many people think.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#7New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 11:24:44
Quote:
On one side are the politically correct in government, the leftist mainstream media, and a raft of Islamist apologists. One and all are tripping over each other in reassuring us the mass murderers such as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan and suicide-bombers who detonate their explosive vests in crowded marketplaces

Quote:
On the other side are those fed up with the innumerable daily horrific acts throughout the world that are clearly committed under the banner of Islam.

https://islam-watch.org/iw-new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=250:does-islam-breed-violence&catid=48:imani&Itemid=58

I personally wouldn't take either book as anything but fairy tales ,but then I'm not committing violence against others while saying it's my religion,
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 11:32:58
@iwannano Said

does the the Quran lead to violence?

No, people lead to violence.
Michael718 On March 16, 2010
.... Evil genius?

Deleted

Caprica City, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 11:34:55
From what i know its different interpretations of the koran that lead to violence. Same with any scripture really.

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 11:35:02
@iwannano Said

I personally wouldn't take either book as anything but fairy tales ,but then I'm not committing violence against others while saying it's my religion,

That has more to do with people than the religion. You can't brand a religion as violent when it is the people that carry out violence.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#11New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 11:35:26
@SparklyKatie Said

No, people lead to violence.

Point taken. I will change the word 'breed' to 'teach' .
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#12New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 11:46:11
@sister_of_mercy Said

That has more to do with people than the religion. You can't brand a religion as violent when it is the people that carry out violence.

When the violent people are stating its what their religion says to do ,isn't these people that are 'branding' their religion ?

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 11:56:52
@iwannano Said

When the violent people are stating its what their religion says to do ,isn't these people that are 'branding' their religion ?

Yeah but that doesn't mean it's true, they must not know their religion that well in order to think that violence is what their God wants.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 11:59:37
@iwannano Said

Point taken. I will change the word 'breed' to 'teach' .

I think the Qur'an teaches violence about as much as American Psycho or the Old Testament.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#15New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 12:12:24
@sister_of_mercy Said

Yeah but that doesn't mean it's true, they must not know their religion that well in order to think that violence is what their God wants.

@SparklyKatie Said

I think the Qur'an teaches violence about as much as American Psycho or the Old Testament.

There is some very ugly and bloody history connected with the bible . And some hate and judgmental ugliness still today connected to the bible.

How many centuries has the followers of that religion been doing violence against others that don't follow the Quran ? Even towards some people today ,women in particular that do claim it as their belief.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs