The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

Do you put money into the cashier's hand or onto the counter?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...11 12 13 · >>
Please be honest!
I put it in their hand
I put it on the counter
I honestly don't pay attention, so I'm not really sure.
View Results
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#1New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:01:05
So I work in retail and I have a LOT of people just put the money on the counter (even when I have my hand waiting). And yes, it does pluck my nerves a bit (more so when you've ignored my "Hello, how are you today? Will this be all?" ).

I find it's mostly older people (in their 40s - 60s), younger people (like closer to my age) will put it in my hand.

I really don't understand why people do it, so those of you who do, help me understand it better, please.
Is it a sanitary thing? Or did you just see your parents do it that way?

This is your local convenience store clerk saying; "Be kind, my hand is open. Thanks."
Carly's Mommy

#2New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:06:04
I work in a very wealthy area. A lot of the people who come in are pulling into the parking lot in BMW's, Hummers and Porches. I feel like it's a "Oh, you're a lowly peasant cashier who has poor people germs."

I try not to let it get to me, but when you blatantly ignore my outstretched hand to put the money on the counter, what am I supposed to think? Sometimes when I know you're about to throw that other dollar on the counter I just take it from you.

On another note, you wouldn't BELIEVE how many people speak to me like I'm retarded. Okay, just because I work at a 7-Eleven doesn't mean I'm dumb. Please don't speak to me like I'm 6.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#3New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:06:37
I go to my convenience store alot for soda runs. I put it in their hand if it's bills. If I have exact change, sometimes I"ll just have it on the counter if I've already got it out while they are ringing me up.
I guess I do both, but more often it's in their hand.
Carly's Mommy

#4New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:08:11
@plebian_angel Said

I go to my convenience store alot for soda runs. I put it in their hand if it's bills. If I have exact change, sometimes I"ll just have it on the counter if I've already got it out while they are ringing me up.
I guess I do both, but more often it's in their hand.

I can understand that, like if you have a lot of items and I'm bagging them as you get the money out. But after that's all said and done and I have my hand out, don't be ignorant!
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:09:51
It depends where I am and what the circumstances are. F'rinstance, in my local shops I'm quite happy to put money into a shopkeeper's hand. No problem.

In a dimly lit bar or nightclub, when I've had a few drinks, I'll put my money down on the counter and also say "That's a tenner" (or twenty or whatever). And I check my change.

I got short changed for a twenty once and it isn't going to happen again.

galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#6New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:11:03
I have no idea. I do both. Depends on what I do.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:11:22
I throw it and run.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#8New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:16:01
Counter mostly. Sometimes hand, but mostly counter.

But it also depends on where I am and the circumstances.
MagicBus On June 23, 2014

Boondocks USA,
#9New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:22:24
i do most of my shopping by shop lifting , so i dont really have to worry about that .

hee hee , nah i mostly hand it to the cashier .
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:32:44
Counter, I don't like the thought of touching them.
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 12:36:55
Nah I just dont bother paying.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#12New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 13:23:20
Wow. I got more laughs out of this thread than I expected to.

I don't normally have cash. When I do, I normally hand it right to the cashier. The exception would be sometime when I'm trying to use coins too. I'll put the bills on the counter early on and will be counting coins when the cashier gives me the total. They take the bills and I hand them the coins.

I've worked as a cashier in some way or another for years and I've never been bothered by how a customer handed me money. As a customer though, I get irritated when the cashier hands me back my change like this:

"Okay, three dollars (puts three 1's and a receipt in my hand) and eighty three cents (and puts several coins on top of the bills) is your change."

Counting back change is a lost art skill.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#13New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 13:28:06
@someone_else Said

Wow. I got more laughs out of this thread than I expected to.

I don't normally have cash. When I do, I normally hand it right to the cashier. The exception would be sometime when I'm trying to use coins too. I'll put the bills on the counter early on and will be counting coins when the cashier gives me the total. They take the bills and I hand them the coins.

I've worked as a cashier in some way or another for years and I've never been bothered by how a customer handed me money. As a customer though, I get irritated when the cashier hands me back my change like this:

"Okay, three dollars (puts three 1's and a receipt in my hand) and eighty three cents (and puts several coins on top of the bills) is your change."

Counting back change is a lost art skill.

probably not on any tests for that child left behind stuff
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#14New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 13:39:53
@plebian_angel Said

probably not on any tests for that child left behind stuff

Well...I wasn't taught that in school either. My father-in-law taught me how. I feel like it should be part of cashier training, but I've been 'trained' as a cashier 7 or 8 times and none of them ever taught me how to count back change. Pity too, it's a great double check for accuracy.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#15New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 13:44:24
@someone_else Said

Well...I wasn't taught that in school either. My father-in-law taught me how. I feel like it should be part of cashier training, but I've been 'trained' as a cashier 7 or 8 times and none of them ever taught me how to count back change. Pity too, it's a great double check for accuracy.

I honestly don't remember when I was taught.I thought it was school though.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...11 12 13 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs