The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Law

Do we have the right to control how we're represented to strangers?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Do we have the right to control how we're represented to strangers?
Yes.
No.
View Results
doa1981 On August 03, 2011

Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Jul 14, 2011 @ 13:02:52
I had a discussion earlier which questioned if we each have the right to control the manner in which we are represented to those we don't know.

The situation is that someone I know told acquaintances of ours that I'm bald. I wear a hat wherever I go and so the acquaintances he told weren't aware of it beforehand. I told him that I was deprived of the right to "conceal my baldness" when he informed them.

You might guess someone is bald because they wear a hat indoors. Just as well you may not think baldness is a big deal and that being protective of that fact is stupid. Though neither of those things preclude that person's right to feel more comfortable by wearing a hat. Yet he maintains that people already know I'm bald despite the hat and that my self consciousness is my issue--therefore it wasn't wrong of him to deprive me of my right to "conceal my baldness" and further that I have no such right.

Do our human rights include such things?

I think that we must consider how the subject of the sentence may actually feel about what is being said and if the person would not reasonably approve we must use other descriptors. Using as an example, describing someone in a crowd: the fat man, the bald man, or the woman with the double chin. Would those people approve of being described in such a way and is it fair then to use such a description?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Jul 14, 2011 @ 13:15:30
"Human rights"? There are no "human rights" at play here. Are we talking about manners or law?

In terms of law, the only thing I can think of is a slander/defamation lawsuit for lying about you to others. You'd have a pretty big hurdle to clear, though: in defamation lawsuits, you need to prove actual damages. There were none.

There are no laws against hurting someone's feelings. The proper remedy for this situation is MTFU.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#3New Post! Jul 14, 2011 @ 13:25:41
That's a relatively tough one...sort of.

For your friend telling a stranger that you're bald or divorced or you don't like yellow food...those things are actually kind of petty. What would you do? Sue them?

On the other hand, your friend telling people that you have AIDS or you've had a sex change or that you suffer from depression...those things are a little more intimate - things that wouldn't come out in casual conversation. It would still be an odd course of action to rectify them doing such a thing.

I don't believe our basic human rights include that.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#4New Post! Jul 15, 2011 @ 02:33:38
Reality is - no we don't have that legal right. Based on sensitivities, one may wish others hadn't shared certain types of information, but .... this is more about moral perception (ours!!) then of legality. Traumatic perhaps,
but petty to others. Personal information (minor or major) is well-guarded by myself, but what other's know about me by looks or thru acquaintance I can hardly control what they tell to others (or when). It is information by default, it is no secret, not something I can hide. And if it is something that was shared with others and they turn around and 'spill the beans' then it is life's lesson to the person who told the secret, that yes indeedy -- the best way to keep something secret/private/confidential is to keep it to yourself, after all.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#5New Post! Jul 15, 2011 @ 03:22:32
a chief of police took part in a news story acusing a young girl of jumping in front of a car. it never happened, but the chief, nor the news ever corrected the lie.

anyone think this should happen?
caused the family to move.

pussy lawyers.
anyone know a lawyer in illinois that aint a pussy s***head?????
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs