Do people change?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#1New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:29:59
Hypothetically speaking, say a girl is in love with a guy, and they have been in a relationship for a while although currently broken up, and he was going to ask her to marry him, but he is physically and emotionally abusive, yet she loves him none-the-less, and she cannot get over him, even though his patterns of behaviour is traumatic for her...and torturous!! She (for some kind of reason) wants him back (his good side of course)...This "he" does tend to drink in massive amounts (nearly all the time) and smokes marijuana both of which cause him to be abusive...can he change? Everyone and everything screams out LEAVE HIM FOR GOOD AND FORGET HIM...but she is reluctant to let him go entirely...what should she do? Does anyone know of anyone who has actually changed?
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#2New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:35:36
Leave him.
He's not good for you. Yes, people can change, but not always. I wouldn't want to put myself in that situation.
GoblintheGoblin On March 01, 2010
Kneel before Zod!

Deleted

swansea, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:36:33
people can change, but what makes them change differs for each person, it seems like from your post you know he will not change and although you are speaking hypothetically if you are in an abusive relationship or know someone who is they must leave, because once the patterns of behavior between two people have been set it is very difficult to change them.
kyahbean On August 28, 2016

Williamstown, Massachusetts
#4New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:43:56
People can change, yes. But it's very rare, it takes years of work, and they have to want to get help.

My mother was in an abusive relationship for over a decade. They were both bikers, both heavy drinkers, and he beat the s*** out of her, abusing her verbally and physically for the better part of my life. He told her he would never marry her, that he wasn;t ever going to marry again after his last wife. I never understood why she stayed with him.

Then, when I was 13, and it had been 11 years they had been together like this, he quit drinking and joined AA, actually leaving her because she hadn't quit yet. about a year or maybe a bit more later, she quit drinking as well, joining AA. They got back together and decided to work it out.

He still abused her, it just wasn't as bad because he wasn't drinking, so he wouldn't go through the really bad bouts of it. But he was still insulting her, ordering her around, and treating her like a piece of his personal property. Yet she stayed.

After 15 years of being together in this dysfunctional relationship, they started going to counseling together. He started taking anger management and violence prevention classes. Things slowly got better.

A bit over a year ago, he asked her to marry him. He bought her a little diamond and married her. Today, they are happily married, but they still have backslides. They have been together over 25 years. He still insults her every now and then, and they still go to AA together and still attend therapy sessions.

So my answer to your question is yes, in rare instances, people can change. But it takes years and years of hard work and pain. And usually, much more often than not, they don't change.

So the question would then be to the hypothetical asker of this hypothetical question - would you be willing to go through 2 decades of suffering on a slim hope that maybe, someday, that abusive person *just might* treat you like a human?
rider On September 28, 2009

Deleted

The first one, Australia
#5New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:44:22
@xnuvax Said

Hypothetically speaking, say a girl is in love with a guy, and they have been in a relationship for a while although currently broken up, and he was going to ask her to marry him, but he is physically and emotionally abusive, yet she loves him none-the-less, and she cannot get over him, even though his patterns of behaviour is traumatic for her...and torturous!! She (for some kind of reason) wants him back (his good side of course)...This "he" does tend to drink in massive amounts (nearly all the time) and smokes marijuana both of which cause him to be abusive...can he change? Everyone and everything screams out LEAVE HIM FOR GOOD AND FORGET HIM...but she is reluctant to let him go entirely...what should she do? Does anyone know of anyone who has actually changed?

If he's a bloke who Physically and Emotionally abuses you,walk away and walk away NOW,he will never change,it's in his nature and nothing will make him change.you'll more than likely find it's the way he's been treated all his life and that's what he see's as Normal.
karljkampovsky On May 13, 2009

Deleted

undisclosed location,
#6New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:44:49
That kind of violent treatment will usually escalate! You may think you love him,but you will not change him! Unless it comes after drinking,and you can convince him to stop! But that is difficult,some times people who drink excessively will change after their drunken behaviour runs them afoul of the law! You should have him arrested for abusing you,and don't listen to his excuses,he will have them, of that you can be certain!
But if you are not married to him leave him!
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#7New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:47:44
@Kristy69 Said

Leave him.
He's not good for you. Yes, people can change, but not always. I wouldn't want to put myself in that situation.

@kyahbean Said

People can change, yes. But it's very rare, it takes years of work, and they have to want to get help.

My mother was in an abusive relationship for over a decade. They were both bikers, both heavy drinkers, and he beat the s*** out of her, abusing her verbally and physically for the better part of my life. He told her he would never marry her, that he wasn;t ever going to marry again after his last wife. I never understood why she stayed with him.

Then, when I was 13, and it had been 11 years they had been together like this, he quit drinking and joined AA, actually leaving her because she hadn't quit yet. about a year or maybe a bit more later, she quit drinking as well, joining AA. They got back together and decided to work it out.

He still abused her, it just wasn't as bad because he wasn't drinking, so he wouldn't go through the really bad bouts of it. But he was still insulting her, ordering her around, and treating her like a piece of his personal property. Yet she stayed.

After 15 years of being together in this dysfunctional relationship, they started going to counseling together. He started taking anger management and violence prevention classes. Things slowly got better.

A bit over a year ago, he asked her to marry him. He bought her a little diamond and married her. Today, they are happily married, but they still have backslides. They have been together over 25 years. He still insults her every now and then, and they still go to AA together and still attend therapy sessions.

So my answer to your question is yes, in rare instances, people can change. But it takes years and years of hard work and pain. And usually, much more often than not, they don't change.

So the question would then be to the hypothetical asker of this hypothetical question - would you be willing to go through 2 decades of suffering on a slim hope that maybe, someday, that abusive person *just might* treat you like a human?

Thank you so much for your story...I really appreciate it...it does help believe it or not.
hope On March 17, 2015

haifa, Israel
#8New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:48:06
@xnuvax Said

yeah people MAY change , i wouldn't tell for sure because it depends on the individual's desire and willing to change completely.

However, from what you explain , i beleive he isn't good for that girl , and she should leave him. he got so many wrong qualities and attitudes . Why should she hurt herself that much for someone apparent doesn't deserve her????

ps: it's just my view of point .
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#9New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:49:54
@karljkampovsky Said

That kind of violent treatment will usually escalate! You may think you love him,but you will not change him! Unless it comes after drinking,and you can convince him to stop! But that is difficult,some times people who drink excessively will change after their drunken behaviour runs them afoul of the law! You should have him arrested for abusing you,and don't listen to his excuses,he will have them, of that you can be certain!

Thank you for sharing your opinion. I know what you say is true, blatantly true.
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#10New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:51:18
@hope Said

yeah people MAY change , i wouldn't tell for sure because it depends on the individual's desire and willing to change completely.

However, from what you explain , i beleive he isn't good for that girl , and she should leave him. he got so many wrong qualities and attitudes . Why should she hurt herself that much for someone apparent doesn't deserve her????

ps: it's just my view of point .

I completely appreciate your point of view, so thank you.
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#11New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:52:30
@karljkampovsky Said

Thank you for your insight, very much appreciated.
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#12New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:52:49
@kyahbean Said

Agree! Can be done, but rarely and never a sure thing. You shouldn't decide your relationships on "Maybe's". That "maybe" they'll change may never happen, then where are you?

A relationship should be getting together with someone for who they are NOW and not for who they might become later!!!
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#13New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:53:18
I see this behavior all the time in my line of work. He will not change for her, he must want to change because his life ia going down the tube. Even when things get better things will set him off when least expected. An angry man has issues which escalate until he either destroys his life or makes drastic changes. Should she stay I would think she'd eventually be in hiding or die by his hand. It's a horrible situation that no one should endure. If she has been with him he has probably destroyed her psyche leaving her to feel unworthy of anything better. The angry man will take her down with him unless she runs like hell.
xnuvax On April 06, 2010

Deleted

SYDNEY, Australia
#14New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:57:14
@readsalot Said

I see this behavior all the time in my line of work. He will not change for her, he must want to change because his life ia going down the tube. Even when things get better things will set him off when least expected. An angry man has issues which escalate until he either destroys his life or makes drastic changes. Should she stay I would think she'd eventually be in hiding or die by his hand. It's a horrible situation that no one should endure. If she has been with him he has probably destroyed her psyche leaving her to feel unworthy of anything better. The angry man will take her down with him unless she runs like hell.

Very nicely put, are you a psychologist?
kyahbean On August 28, 2016

Williamstown, Massachusetts
#15New Post! Mar 21, 2009 @ 13:58:30
@xnuvax Said

Thank you so much for your story...I really appreciate it...it does help believe it or not.

You are more than welcome. I have a lot of experience with abuse, and abusive relationships. I've seen them happen, had many friends in them and have a few friends still in them, and have been in a few myself.

Whether we are talking about you or someone you know, I'm going to approach it as if it is you, because that's the easiest way for me. Tell me if that's not OK.

Having someone tell a person who is in an abusive relationship to just "get out because that's the right thing to do" is never very helpful. Obviously, no one should stay in a relationship like that, but it's easier said than done. Rationality is clouded by the love you feel for this person, and it's normal to keep trying to remember the good times and the honey moon times, and the times after the apologies. This makes it easier to stay.

You know in your heart you should leave a person who treats you unfairly or is abusive towards you. It's the reality of doing it that scares the crap out of people. I know from experience how terrifying that can be.

It's important to remember that you are a human being, and that the way you are being treated is not your fault, and that no one in life should be treated that way. If you want to build up strength to leave him, you need to get a support network. Abusive people tend to isolate their victims, and make them feel as if they have no one else, because this makes it easier for them to exert their control.

If you feel that this person can change, and has shown signs of wanting to change, you need to think long and hard about whether it is worth giving your life and love into that venture. There is a very high chance that it won't work out, and you will end up old and miserable, having wasted the best years of your life and youth on someone who just will never respect you the way you deserve.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs