Pages: << · 1 2
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Jun 26, 2011 @ 15:56:11
@GreatestIam2 Said

Do Christians value their moral sense?

Was Eden, the fall or the elevation of mankind?
A moral sense is what is developed by our study of morals and ethics.
In Eden, this study came in the form of a tree of knowledge of good and evil.
Adam and Eve, as neophytes to life, were not aware of what was good or evil because they had yet to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil and had yet to develop morals, until after absorbing the information set out by God for their consumption.
This assumes of course that God wanted man with autonomy and a moral sense.

This gain is clearly spoken of by God when he stated that A & E had become as God’s, knowing good and evil. The fact that he threw a sissy fit when we did elevate ourselves is why Christians call Eden the fall of man.

I find it strange that Christians see our gaining of a moral sense as a fall. Christians do not seem to give a high value to their moral sense and think that we were in Eden strictly to obey and not learn that we are autonomous beings.
Yet strangely, most Christians say that they would do exactly as Eve did and that they would not stop her. They value it yet call it a fall.

The Jews and Hebrew interpreted their scriptures as Eden being our elevation. Not our fall. They were quite surprised when Christianity began to read scriptures literally, even the Jewish ones, that the Jews never took literally.

Did Christianity get the story wrong?
Was Eden our elevation and not our fall?
Do you value your moral sense or would you stop Eve if you could?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0kdxgJB9is

https://www.mrrena.com/misc/judaism2.php

Regards
DL

I thinks it's what you take from the story, as there's more than one angle to it.
Octavarium On December 23, 2021

Pacific North West,
#17New Post! Jun 26, 2011 @ 17:17:36
Greatestlam, until you can get beyond your fundamental hatred of the fundamentalist mindset you will never be able to understand the subtle inference of faith in something beyond the base value of human nature.
Whether it be religion or politics or any other form of belief, the fundamentalist mindset is a set mind locked upon only one aspect of the greater whole. It allows for ignorance and ignorant actions.
Hatred and descent breed nothing but hatred and descent. No learning comes from it and thus no good. I see your direction, that you want to challenge the fundamental belief in a literalistic take on the Bible. But slapping one with rebuke and insult of moronic stupidity earns nothing but a slap in return, if not an outright punch in the face. Dismissal, nothing but dismissal. The more you force your charge the more you force those you charge to maintain and defend their ground. All god's aside, that's human nature.
Does this make any sense to you?
I'm not trying to tell you to give up on the stand you've decided to take only that the tactics you decided to employ will only result in the deepening of anger and resentment on both sides for the other. This does nothing beyond intensifying the fight leaving the world a much bloodier place than it needs to be.
What is the answer? I don't know, but I do know that the soft word has a much longer lasting effect than the hard word in the moment. Think about it.
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#18New Post! Jun 27, 2011 @ 17:25:46
@tariki Said

I think GreatestIam shares with me the sad observation that the "fundamentalist" and "Biblical literalist" mindset ( a mindset not entirely absent from any of us) perverts such insights by mangling them with creeds and doctrines that distort any hope of doing anything other than divide people.

I do.

Their selective reading is also harmful.
Note the guilt of original sin that all Christian children are made to bear needlessly.

Ezekiel 18:20
The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#19New Post! Jun 27, 2011 @ 17:28:53
@Grasshopper Said

tbf? Can you spell the actual words?

YOu saying I deserve critisism? People sure got a big head about critisising. They want everyubody to be treated equally, yet they label all christians as something bad. It sickens me.

If you are a literalist or fundamental then you indirectly contribute to the following by advocating belief in fantasy, miracles and magic.

African witches and Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRG9gXriVI&feature=related

Jesus Camp 1of 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBv8tv62yGM

Promoting death to Gays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMw2Zg_BVzw&feature=related

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#20New Post! Jun 27, 2011 @ 17:30:46
@davii Said

I thinks it's what you take from the story, as there's more than one angle to it.

Rather a vague answer.
I already indicated two basic views.

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#21New Post! Jun 27, 2011 @ 17:36:09
@Octavarium Said

Greatestlam, until you can get beyond your fundamental hatred of the fundamentalist mindset you will never be able to understand the subtle inference of faith in something beyond the base value of human nature.
Whether it be religion or politics or any other form of belief, the fundamentalist mindset is a set mind locked upon only one aspect of the greater whole. It allows for ignorance and ignorant actions.
Hatred and descent breed nothing but hatred and descent. No learning comes from it and thus no good. I see your direction, that you want to challenge the fundamental belief in a literalistic take on the Bible. But slapping one with rebuke and insult of moronic stupidity earns nothing but a slap in return, if not an outright punch in the face. Dismissal, nothing but dismissal. The more you force your charge the more you force those you charge to maintain and defend their ground. All god's aside, that's human nature.
Does this make any sense to you?
I'm not trying to tell you to give up on the stand you've decided to take only that the tactics you decided to employ will only result in the deepening of anger and resentment on both sides for the other. This does nothing beyond intensifying the fight leaving the world a much bloodier place than it needs to be.
What is the answer? I don't know, but I do know that the soft word has a much longer lasting effect than the hard word in the moment. Think about it.

Ya ya. Soft words did Jesus a lot of good.
I get turn or burn whether I use love or tough love so keep your useless advise to yourself.

Any softness I had has been burned out by Christians.

As to the mindless faith of theists who are abusing children.
look for my upcoming O P.

Faith without works is false faith.

Scriptures on the issue of works contradict each other.

Some scriptures and Christian sects push the notion that faith alone in God is all that is required to earn heaven.
Some scriptures indicate that without works, living the theology and applying it to reality, that whatever faith we claim to have is useless and that those souls are lost.

The notion of being part of a community where individuals looked out for each other and shared whatever it had was the key and the only reason Christianity became the religion that it is today. I mean this in the sense or size only. In reality, Christianity no longer bases it’s theology and being saved on works.

Perhaps this is why the Church is so fragmented today and losing the battle for the hearts and minds of the population.

People usually do what they see as profitable in one way or another for themselves. Today, looking at Christianity, from inside or outside, the population does not see a profit in remaining in or joining Christianity due to this notion that faith is all that is required.

Without works, will Christianity die?
Do you have to live your faith or is faith without works good enough?

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Jun 27, 2011 @ 18:24:00
@GreatestIam2 Said

Rather a vague answer.
I already indicated two basic views.

Regards
DL

I've been fighting a migraine, so will have to come back to it

Ottawa, Canada
#23New Post! Jun 28, 2011 @ 01:27:32
@davii Said

I've been fighting a migraine, so will have to come back to it

A friend suffered from those for 30 years. His were month long. Always had the same doctor.
He changed doctors, explained the problem and the doctor just said, I know what that is. It is your sinuses. Changed his ineffective medicine and no more migraines.

Regards
DL
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#24New Post! Jun 28, 2011 @ 01:39:50
i wonder if my cats wonder what is good and evil
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs