Breaking Up

Divorce - doesn't this make sense?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
kimo On January 10, 2008

Sarasota, Florida
#76New Post! Oct 11, 2007 @ 16:56:10
As far as saying it's none of government's business...

Well if protecting the hearts of future children is NOT government's business, what is it?

Why can't you guys look at this as a good thing for society to do?

And like I said - if you think the Pre-Nup would make the other person think you don't trust him, then give it all to him in the Pre-Nup. That would show you have no trust issues or doubts the marriage will work out!
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#77New Post! Oct 11, 2007 @ 17:02:02
What you decide 10 years ago, 7 years ago, 1 year ago, before you are married will not be what you still want. What if you decide in advance that in the event of divorce the mother would have custody.. then it turns out the mother is a terrible mother actually and she has not an ounce of maternal instinct and the father brings up all the children and then she decides to divorce him and move to Poland taking the children?

What if you agree to take nothing from the marriage whatsoever right at the start, before you have even lived with the person and you end up being the one who restores the home, putting in many many hours of hard work and your partner decides to divorce you and you are out on the street with nothing for your work.

I think pre-nups are mainly for the rich and famous and should never be imposed on the common man.
mollymalone On March 01, 2008

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#78New Post! Oct 11, 2007 @ 17:03:39
@kimo Said
As far as saying it's none of government's business...

Well if protecting the hearts of future children is NOT government's business, what is it?

And like I said - if you think the Pre-Nup would make the other person think you don't trust him, then give it all to him in the Pre-Nup. That would show you have no trust issues or doubts the marriage will work out!

In a marriage you dont have children just to make it government business.

You dont need a pre nup agreement to give the other person everything???
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#79New Post! Oct 11, 2007 @ 17:07:41
some people dont have kids
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#80New Post! Oct 11, 2007 @ 17:08:38
listen, if you want a prenup, get one.
if not, don't.

and nobody has the right to tell someone how to work their own personal life,
its an option there if you want it. there's no reason to enforce it.
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#81New Post! Oct 11, 2007 @ 19:36:09
@kimo Said

Society has nothing to do with it, a marrige and any possible divorce after has nothing to do with society
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#82New Post! Oct 11, 2007 @ 19:38:23
I dont think it should be mandatory, its far too invasive, like Alexkidd said, its ok for some if they want it.
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#83New Post! Oct 11, 2007 @ 19:45:14
@kimo Said

For the same reason that you can't see it as an invasion of privacy, and attack on our rights, and a restriction of choice. We have different opinions.

If you feel very strongly, I suggest you set up a public information website and urge people to sign pre-nups. You can also lobby your local government on the issue if you must.

But be aware that just as you feel strongly about it, many of us feel strongly about our freedoms and the freedoms of our fellow citizens. We will argue against it, we will lobby against it, and we will vote against it.
horrid_goblin On October 14, 2007

, United Kingdom
#84New Post! Oct 11, 2007 @ 20:13:34
I've been fortunate enough to have been married for 28 years.
My lady and I made promises for life, not till the contract runs out or whatever.
Different people have different relationships and those that wish to have a pre-nutual should be able to and have that legally recognised, but we wouldn't want one and would not want one imposed on us.
kimo On January 10, 2008

Sarasota, Florida
#85New Post! Oct 13, 2007 @ 15:03:55
"If you feel very strongly, I suggest you set up a public information website and urge people to sign pre-nups. You can also lobby your local government on the issue if you must."

I'm not going to do that...but I will make sure my own children have one - that's for sure.

Deleted

#86New Post! Oct 13, 2007 @ 19:07:44
@kimo Said
I'm not going to do that...but I will make sure my own children have one - that's for sure.

That is of course up to them. Tell me, will they have a say in this? Or will you be forcing it upon them as you wish to force it upon the rest of us?
kimo On January 10, 2008

Sarasota, Florida
#87New Post! Oct 13, 2007 @ 19:54:08
For my kids it will be that if they get married - and they want a slice of my inheritance - they will do a pre-nup with their spouse.

Then they can blame having to think ahead on their old crazy mom.

I will do what I think is necessary to protect them and my future grandchildren from the pain and loss of divorce.

Deleted

#88New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 16:18:50
Note that many, many pre-nups are successfully challenged in court. I fear that by requiring a pre-nup all that you may do is cause even more heartache as the pre-nup is dragged through the courts.

People and circumstances change over time, and what they agree up front may not be agreeable, or applicable when/if they divorce at some time in the future. My personal opinion is that if something happens in the marriage, that pre-nup won't be worth the paper it's written on, unless neither party can afford a decent lawyer.

But, you are entitled to your opinion, and the best of luck to you. I hope you won't push your children too hard though. Trying to control a grown adult can result in estrangement from your family - few people like being told what to do into their twenties and beyond, and if you make it a requirement of funding their wedding be prepared to either have it thrown in your face, or for feelings of resentment at you using money to control them.

Suggest it, encourage it, even offer to pay for the lawyer and provide the pen to sign it. But forcing it may be a bad idea for you as a mother.
kimo On January 10, 2008

Sarasota, Florida
#89New Post! Oct 19, 2007 @ 18:36:32
How about I give my kids a big $$ bonus if they get a pre-nup and they get squatola if they don't?

semi_precious_stone On June 23, 2019

, United Kingdom
#90New Post! Oct 19, 2007 @ 18:48:31
Why start thinking about your marriage failing before you have even entered into it.... not a good start1
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs