News & Current Events

Disobedience at the Capital

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#1New Post! Sep 07, 2018 @ 14:34:19
In my opinion, yes, what the anonymous writer has done the past year is likely treason, by definition. But possibly necessary regardless. Reminds me of the mutiny that took place in “the Crimson Tide”.

Cory Booker may also be a hero, should the Kavanaugh nomination fall through.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Sep 07, 2018 @ 14:38:25
alex balwin did played jack ryan in " the hunt of red October " and alex plays bozo on Saturday night live. this is a good reference.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#3New Post! Sep 07, 2018 @ 15:00:26
@twilitezone911 Said

alex balwin did played jack ryan in " the hunt of red October " and alex plays bozo on Saturday night live. this is a good reference.

Actually, it was “Crimson Tide”, as I was thinking of the wrong title. Where Denzel Washington’s character felt it necessary to override his Gene Hackman-played superior’s command. I corrected it above.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#4New Post! Sep 07, 2018 @ 15:46:41
Hmmmm... What member of the administration benefit most if that nice President Trump gets impeached. Hmmmm
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Sep 07, 2018 @ 15:55:35
@Leon Said

Actually, it was “Crimson Tide”, as I was thinking of the wrong title. Where Denzel Washington’s character felt it necessary to override his Gene Hackman-played superior’s command. I corrected it above.

crimson tide is more of mutiny like " moby d***", " the bounty ", and " the caine munity " that captains were a couple cans short of six pack. the hunt of red October was all politically motivate to defect one country to other. not often seen in these movies.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#6New Post! Sep 07, 2018 @ 15:59:24
While the situation at hand might seem to meet the dictionary definition of "treason", it doesn't meet the legal definition of "treason".

18 U.S. Code § 2381 - Treason: Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

So, as an example:

A. If a U.S. citizen steals highly classified documents, and gives them to a foreign nation, that might be "treason"... depending on the country. North Korea > Yes; the UK > probably No.

B. If a U.S. citizen steals highly classified documents, and gives them to a U.S. corporation (say the NYT), that would be theft of government property, but would not actually be treason.

So, Anonymous may or may not be guilty of theft of government property AND may or may not have violated other laws and/or regulations regarding "leaking" information about the goings on of the President's office... however, Anonymous most likely did not commit "treason".

Now, no one here has to agree with me on this point, but the case law is pretty well established on this point.

Also, the alleged actions of the people around the President most likely do not meet the legal definition of "treason"... insubordination, theft of government property, etc > Yes.

PS
Our President most likely isn't smart enough to know the difference, but if he is smart enough he is using the word "treason" to get he base excited and angry.
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Sep 07, 2018 @ 18:03:58
Dissension in the camp for sure, treason highly doubtful the perpetrator is clearly a patriotic person trying to stop a Buffon from hurting himself and the country as well. They should get a medal if they finally reveal themselves. They may well have saved the day. Oh to be a fly on the wall in the White House.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Sep 07, 2018 @ 18:58:45
@chaski Said

While the situation at hand might seem to meet the dictionary definition of "treason", it doesn't meet the legal definition of "treason".

18 U.S. Code § 2381 - Treason: Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

So, as an example:

A. If a U.S. citizen steals highly classified documents, and gives them to a foreign nation, that might be "treason"... depending on the country. North Korea > Yes; the UK > probably No.

B. If a U.S. citizen steals highly classified documents, and gives them to a U.S. corporation (say the NYT), that would be theft of government property, but would not actually be treason.

So, Anonymous may or may not be guilty of theft of government property AND may or may not have violated other laws and/or regulations regarding "leaking" information about the goings on of the President's office... however, Anonymous most likely did not commit "treason".

Now, no one here has to agree with me on this point, but the case law is pretty well established on this point.

Also, the alleged actions of the people around the President most likely do not meet the legal definition of "treason"... insubordination, theft of government property, etc > Yes.

PS
Our President most likely isn't smart enough to know the difference, but if he is smart enough he is using the word "treason" to get he base excited and angry.

Fair enough, and thank you for the clarity.

By the way, just to be clear, I was referring to the actions of this anonymous individual in regards to his, and others’, subversion of Trump’s authority on decision making, and WASN’T referring to the leakage itself about it in the Post. The latter isn’t treason, and the former may or may not be, but it certainly is overriding our elected President’s authority in policy decision.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#9New Post! Sep 07, 2018 @ 19:09:16
Also...

Based on my reading of the op-ed, there doesn't seem to have any substantive information leaked that would hurt the USA (in terms of, for example, Top Secret military information).

So that seems to leave us with two options here:

1. The op-ed is fictitious, in which case it is crazy, may "hurt" the Administration a little, but ultimately is just non-factual crap that has no meaning.... ...more fake news, more disgruntled employees, more stupid liberal dems...

OR

2. The op-ed is truthful. If the op-ed is truthful, it actually (to a point) supports Woodward's book Fear. Even if one chooses to ignore Woodward's book and just stick with the op-ed... the democracy of the USA is in a crisis.

Trump wants the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate the op-ed. This can only mean that some or all of the information in the op-ed is real... factual... truthful...

Essentially Trump and his Whitehouse staff are now admitting that the op-ed is factual.

Pretty scary...
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#10New Post! Sep 07, 2018 @ 19:13:14
@Leon Said

I was referring to the actions of this anonymous individual in regards to his, and others’, subversion of Trump’s authority on decision making.

Yes, and that is an important distinction from the actual information presented in the op-ed.

And if the facts suggested a real political coup, say for example (just an example) Pence was behind it and ultimately plotting a take over of some sort, they you (Leon) would most likely be correct that "it" points to treason.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#11New Post! Sep 07, 2018 @ 19:30:09
@Erimitus Said

Hmmmm... What member of the administration benefit most if that nice President Trump gets impeached. Hmmmm

@chaski Said

Yes, and that is an important distinction from the actual information presented in the op-ed.

And if the facts suggested a real political coup, say for example (just an example) Pence was behind it and ultimately plotting a take over of some sort, they you (Leon) would most likely be correct that "it" points to treason.

I honestly don’t think Pence is behind this. And I don’t even think the purpose of the op-ed was to overthrow our President. Perhaps I’m being too unassuming here, but I am siding on what the author actually said in that he/she was just trying to assure the public that guys like him/her are looking out for the nation’s interests in keeping Trump in check.

As an aside, I actually wonder why the GOP doesn’t pursue impeachment more than they do or they say the Democrats want to do.

Yes, the GOP.

They, not to mention the Religious Right, have a lot more to gain with Pence in charge than our current 14 year old. The Democrats are not pursuing impeachment or even talking about it much. There is a reason for that.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#12New Post! Sep 07, 2018 @ 19:37:44
@Leon Said

I honestly don’t think Pence is behind this. And I don’t even think the purpose of the op-ed was to overthrow our President.

I fully agree with this.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#13New Post! Sep 07, 2018 @ 20:27:35
This shows that Trump does not have the ultimate grip of power over his staff, like Kim Jung-un or Putin probably does.

That probably pisses him off more than anything.

From the Op-Ed
The dilemma — which he does not fully grasp — is that many of the senior officials in his own administration are working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.

Does it matter Who is "working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations"?

I don't think so.

And if "working diligently" to "frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations" is a punishable offense, then All of the current Democrats, and all of the GOP from the previous administration aught to be thrown in jail! That is all that the members of the house and senate of the opposite party do any more.

Who was it that publicly stated their job was to make the Obama presidency a failure? Why wasn't he prosecuted?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#14New Post! Sep 07, 2018 @ 21:04:55
@mrmhead Said

This shows that Trump does not have the ultimate grip of power over his staff, like Kim Jung-un or Putin probably does.

That probably pisses him off more than anything.

From the Op-Ed
The dilemma — which he does not fully grasp — is that many of the senior officials in his own administration are working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.

Does it matter Who is "working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations"?

I don't think so.

And if "working diligently" to "frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations" is a punishable offense, then All of the current Democrats, and all of the GOP from the previous administration aught to be thrown in jail! That is all that the members of the house and senate of the opposite party do any more.

Who was it that publicly stated their job was to make the Obama presidency a failure? Why wasn't he prosecuted?

I think the difference is that congress is not working for the President, as they are a separate power, whereas these officials are working directly for the president.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#15New Post! Sep 08, 2018 @ 00:01:06
Clearly a publicity stunt to promote the book 'Fear'.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs