The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Racism

Different Cultures: Do you embrace them or ignore them?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
4000Earthquakes On April 25, 2009

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#1New Post! Oct 04, 2008 @ 18:31:10
I'm watching Dancing With Wolves. It always upsets me. As if I long for a past I can't remember. Is that weird?

I always watch the Travel Channel.
I watch anything that introduces me to other ways of life.
I am white.

I sometimes long for a culture that is my own -- but what is it?
The USA has no culture to call their own.
The white people don't seem to have a united culture here.

Are you white?
Do you find curiosity in people from Iraq, Africa, Mexico?

Do you find that people from the non-white cultures have more of a love for life? Food? Dance? Music?

What are your thoughts?
nakedchinchilla On October 27, 2008

kernersville, North Carolina
#2New Post! Oct 04, 2008 @ 18:39:39
im white, sometimes i feel the yearn for more..i want to travel the world and see everything...while my family hails from ireland, we dont really celebrate the culture..ive never been there..so yea i agree, i think im in the same boat you are in a way
sassi On February 20, 2009

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#3New Post! Oct 04, 2008 @ 19:02:41
It's not the people in the land it's the land in the people.
marstalas On October 26, 2010

Outside Space,
#4New Post! Oct 04, 2008 @ 19:33:02
I never really think about having a culture so to speak, but I do enjoy traditions. I think that, in its own way, is culture.
spongebobsmycumrag On December 10, 2009

Lichfield, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 04, 2008 @ 19:43:31
I love learning about different people, its partly why i came here, although its been a little disappointing in that respect as this site isn't much past the USA and UK agreeing with each other that everyone else is wrong.
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#6New Post! Oct 04, 2008 @ 22:09:49
I'am bi-racial.....(white mother, black father) I find beauty in all people....but i'am only attracted to white men...some people have called me racist because i've never dated a black man....but I do find beauty in all cultures!!
ybom On June 04, 2010

#7New Post! Oct 04, 2008 @ 23:15:55
Spinkiegirl,
If it makes you feel better I never got a chance to date anything other than "white girls" before I married. Am I racist? Heck, does that make me sexist? Next time someone says something like that to you, maybe you should ask them to apologize - it's not fair to who you are as an individual.

As far as my embrace of other cultures, I'm an American who grew up in a semi-racist family who realizes there's a slant to the way I see things. My personal beliefs make a large stride to fix those.
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#8New Post! Oct 04, 2008 @ 23:53:44
@ybom Said
Spinkiegirl,
If it makes you feel better I never got a chance to date anything other than "white girls" before I married. Am I racist? Heck, does that make me sexist? Next time someone says something like that to you, maybe you should ask them to apologize - it's not fair to who you are as an individual.

As far as my embrace of other cultures, I'm an American who grew up in a semi-racist family who realizes there's a slant to the way I see things. My personal beliefs make a large stride to fix those.

You know, that's one of the nicest things anyone here has ever said to me.....thank you, and I think you are a wonderful person for posting your honest and kind feelings....the fact that you grew up with racist family members and you try and live your own life in a much more fullfiling way is a GREAT thing....I gave you kudos for who you are....not where you come from......thanks again....may you find joy and happyness in your life!!!
ybom On June 04, 2010

#9New Post! Oct 05, 2008 @ 01:02:05
@Spinkiegirl Said
You know, that's one of the nicest things anyone here has ever said to me.....thank you, and I think you are a wonderful person for posting your honest and kind feelings....the fact that you grew up with racist family members and you try and live your own life in a much more fullfiling way is a GREAT thing....I gave you kudos for who you are....not where you come from......thanks again....may you find joy and happyness in your life!!!

Thank you too. You're one of the few people who seems to understand what I mean I hope this understanding lasts! And yes, I really meant what I said about sticking up for yourself, even to those who at other times are your best friends. You might want to consider some type of humor avoidance technique if they're that touchy in the first place, or someone else to hang around most of the time. Maybe?

Now let's just hope more people can do the seemingly ultra impossible thing of disagreeing with someone who is of the same skin color or sex. That may be the one point someone can call me racist or sexist on. I really "hate" it when my wife gets in with a group of females (girls at those points, but usually women on their own) and starts criticizing men for inappropriate points when I'm standing right there. I'm not talking about things guys deserve to be criticized on, but the ones that are extremely unfair.

Anyways, as you can probably see I fit sexist people in with racist ones. But that's a story for another post
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs