Religion & Philosophy

Differences between the christian and Muslim faith

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
amelie3 On March 07, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#1New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 08:29:30
Some years back, I went to church on Xmas day with my family and the priest made an interesting statement in his sermon that I have never forgotten.

He had a friend who was a Muslim cleric, and he quoted the cleric:

"You know what the difference is between Christianity and the Muslim faith?

Christians are optimists. Muslims are realists."

Your thoughts?
Tako_400 On April 19, 2010
Keep Ya' Head Up

Deleted

Beirut, Lebanon
#2New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 09:15:07
It's all the same. Islam, Christianity, and Judaism.
Coleosis On December 01, 2013
Don't care

Mustang, Oklahoma
#3New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 09:16:27
Muslims suicide bomb and christians send the bombs without the person attached.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 11:03:39
@amelie3 Said

Some years back, I went to church on Xmas day with my family and the priest made an interesting statement in his sermon that I have never forgotten.

He had a friend who was a Muslim cleric, and he quoted the cleric:

"You know what the difference is between Christianity and the Muslim faith?

Christians are optimists. Muslims are realists."

Your thoughts?

Christians and Muslims are both idealists.
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#5New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 12:11:12
There isn't that much difference really. Oh and suicide is against Islam.

Biggest difference is perhaps the belief in the Trinity. In fact, take that away, and they could almost be regarded as different sects of the same religion.

Don't judge something on the basis of people taking quotes out of context.

Course, if you don't like religion, there's always plenty not to like whichever religion you look at
amelie3 On March 07, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#6New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 12:44:17
@sheepy Said

Don't judge something on the basis of people taking quotes out of context.

Course, if you don't like religion, there's always plenty not to like whichever religion you look at

I'm not sure if this referred to me. I'm assuming it did, because I mentioned a quote in my OP from a Muslim cleric?
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#7New Post! Sep 05, 2009 @ 16:55:21
@amelie3 Said

I'm not sure if this referred to me. I'm assuming it did, because I mentioned a quote in my OP from a Muslim cleric?

No, not aimed at anyone, honest. It's more a general comment, on how any religion seems to have it's words - which might have originally been written for good - twisted for people's own agenda. Of course, we then come to the question "is religion good or bad". That one I'm not touching with the proverbial bargepole
aquine On May 30, 2014
Psalm 2 = Rev 11:15

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#8New Post! Sep 07, 2009 @ 00:14:04
Jesus Christ is the Son of God. The Word.

Mohammed was a false prophet. A trader, merchant, politician, warrior.
curiouskat On February 16, 2010

Deleted

Adelaide, Australia
#9New Post! Sep 07, 2009 @ 00:26:26
Oh interesting post Amelie..

Im dating a Muslim at the moment and agree whole heartedly with the priests summation.

I am not Catholic, but being raised in Australia my moral backbone is from a Christian stand point.

Its Ramadan atm (or however you spell it,lol) and i asked my friend what it is all about, why they feel the need to starve themselves and abstain from all pleasure for a month.

He explained that Ramadan is about seeing how it feels to suffer for a change.
Many people have no food or pleasure in life and Ramadan is a reminder to those who do have what they need, that there are those who suffer from this every single day.

At the end of Ramadan, they have a few days where family and friends get together and give gifts to one another to say thankyou for the blessings they have in life.

I think this is beautiful.
It is a great message and ill bet it teaches them a hell of alot more than Christmas teaches us!!
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#10New Post! Sep 07, 2009 @ 00:29:54
@aquine Said

Jesus Christ is the Son of God. The Word.

Mohammed was a false prophet. A trader, merchant, politician, warrior.

Well, thinking on that point of view... Jesus was a false prophet as well. A trader, a merchant and a side show attraction. According to Ancient Roman history, Jesus was nothing more than a criminal...

You can't actually give a good debate with biblical crap.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#11New Post! Sep 07, 2009 @ 00:33:06
@curiouskat Said

Oh interesting post Amelie..

Im dating a Muslim at the moment and agree whole heartedly with the priests summation.

I am not Catholic, but being raised in Australia my moral backbone is from a Christian stand point.

Its Ramadan atm (or however you spell it,lol) and i asked my friend what it is all about, why they feel the need to starve themselves and abstain from all pleasure for a month.

He explained that Ramadan is about seeing how it feels to suffer for a change.
Many people have no food or pleasure in life and Ramadan is a reminder to those who do have what they need, that there are those who suffer from this every single day.

At the end of Ramadan, they have a few days where family and friends get together and give gifts to one another to say thankyou for the blessings they have in life.

I think this is beautiful.
It is a great message and ill bet it teaches them a hell of alot more than Christmas teaches us!!

The explanation of Ramadan sounds a lot like what I thought the original intention of what lent was supposed to be, for the catholic to give up stuff and understand what it feels like to do without and "suffer" a little.
curiouskat On February 16, 2010

Deleted

Adelaide, Australia
#12New Post! Sep 07, 2009 @ 00:39:47
@DiscordTiger Said

The explanation of Ramadan sounds a lot like what I thought the original intention of what lent was supposed to be, for the catholic to give up stuff and understand what it feels like to do without and "suffer" a little.

Ahh, kk..

I had heard of lent, however its not an active part of Christianity now is it?

Or do faithful Christians still practice it?

Sorry, guess im not as knowledgable about Christianity as i thought i might be, i didnt even know what lent was!!!
aquine On May 30, 2014
Psalm 2 = Rev 11:15

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#13New Post! Sep 07, 2009 @ 00:49:43
Lent is not for suffering. Lent is for preparation.

Fasting should be done to welcome the Holy Spirit into the body.

Luke 6:25

Woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry.

When the flesh is well fed, the spirit is wanting.

buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013