Politics

Designated "Free Speech" Areas

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
mrmexico25 On November 19, 2019

Dallas, Texas
#1New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 01:43:43
I was a student at a community college and there was a designated free speech area. It's under a gazebo with a diameter of about 10 feet. I've seen these at several other universities and couldn't help wonder, "since when did this country need a 'designated' area from free speech"? Does this area imply that it's the only place where students can protest? Is this the only area on campus where students of this nation can express themselves?

How hypocritical is this coming from public universities in the United States, the country that is "The Land of the Free"?

Sometimes I wonder...
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#2New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 01:47:11
Colleges are not public property. Not even colleges that are run by the state.

If you want free speech in a public forum, you'll find that nearly every single town and city in America has a "green" or a "commons" or a "mall" near their center of government which has been designed to allow citizens to assemble and speak freely.

There's a fine line between free speech and anarchy.
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 01:49:12
Free speech does not mean 'protest speech' .

Dallas, Texas
#4New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 01:52:52
Which seems to be an other problem. If tuition and taxes pay for them, we damn well should be allowed to say what we want wherever we want.

Anarchy isn't the issue. If one wanted to protest anything at all, there are rights that are granted that he/she can do it ANYWHERE as long as its peaceful.

Dallas, Texas
#5New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 01:56:52
Quote:
Free speech does not mean 'protest speech' .

not quite but the first amendment in the constitution declares, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of , or of the ; or the right of the people peaceably to for a redress of grievances"

Dallas, Texas
#6New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 01:57:56
correction: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
Jason13 On October 22, 2010

Melbourne, Australia
#7New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 01:58:59
I was led to believe that your whole country was supposed to be a designated free speech area?

Dallas, Texas
#8New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 02:00:38
Quote:
I was led to believe that your whole country was supposed to be a designated free speech area?

My point exactly. The fact that universities have these areas is like preaching to the choir.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#9New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 02:02:29
Yes but in a university/college setting, you cant just expect to walk into any class and disrupt it by talking about "french fries and how they are evil potatoes" and not suffer any consequences.

Its kinda like a time and place sort of thing. Students are paying to learn things and to have a place to study, you can't do that if the the anti abortionists are running around the library showing dead fetuses in peoples place. But they can do that in the "designated area" and if someone doesn't like it, tough, they can walk around.
Gaditana On November 19, 2013
Random Q

Queens, New York
#10New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 02:02:40
I don't care if the country feels free speech is allowed or not I just say it and that's that fackers!!!!!
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#11New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 02:05:35
@mrmexico25 Said

If one wanted to protest anything at all, there are rights that are granted that he/she can do it ANYWHERE as long as its peaceful.

Again. No.

You need to study constitutional law to more fully understand this issue. I could type for the next two hours to try to explain it, and wouldn't scratch the surface.

Remember, that while you're going there, my taxes are also paying for your education. If you're protesting at your school, and I disagree, am I free to come there and protest as well? and what about the people who are on your side, who don't attend that school? Can they show up as well?
When does it reach the point that the rights of your fellow students are being infringed upon because of all of our protesting, and your school loses the ability to teach?
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#12New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 02:06:26
most schools you can say whatever in class, as long as it is relatively related to the topic at hand.

the free speech areas are really designated for the "protest" type speech, by giving a designated area, there are less "paperwork" issues for the school and security departments.
And allows those that dont want to "hear it" a clue to avoid the area.

Melbourne, Australia
#13New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 02:11:20
@DiscordTiger Said

Yes but in a university/college setting, you cant just expect to walk into any class and disrupt it by talking about "french fries and how they are evil potatoes" and not suffer any consequences.

Its kinda like a time and place sort of thing. Students are paying to learn things and to have a place to study, you can't do that if the the anti abortionists are running around the library showing dead fetuses in peoples place. But they can do that in the "designated area" and if someone doesn't like it, tough, they can walk around.

Well, that's just common sense. I'm sure there's something about that in a contract somewhere that they agreed to prior to enrolling

It sounds to me like going to a water park, and them having designated water area....
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#14New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 02:13:21
@Jason13 Said

Well, that's just common sense. I'm sure there's something about that in a contract somewhere that they agreed to prior to enrolling

It sounds to me like going to a water park, and them having designated water area....

Actually... there is a student code of conduct that you have to agree too that has this all spelled out.

Melbourne, Australia
#15New Post! Nov 30, 2009 @ 02:16:10
@DiscordTiger Said

Actually... there is a student code of conduct that you have to agree too that has this all spelled out.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. But that would only be applicable for students that attend the water park right?....oh wait...you meant for the schools didn't you?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs