Democracy under attack

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 12:36:21
I've been known to participate in the occasional demonstration myself and I have felt the surge of energy that can go through a crowd in those circumstances. I know how high emotions can run when a grievance - legitimate or otherwise - is felt.

The problem lies with the agent provocateur, that is, the man or woman who agitates the crowd and drives their emotions or grievances to the point where they cease to be demonstrators making a legitimate point or having their voice heard and become a mob.

That happened at the Capitol yesterday, and the agent provocateur was Donald Trump.

Are those demonstrators guilty of sedition..? Well, within the strict definition of the word, probably some of them were. But rational thought should dismiss that charge and instead, consider whether lesser offences of Civil Disorder are more appropriate.

It's not my place to say whether or not Donald Trump has committed offences against the American constitution or law. That's for Americans to decide. All I can say is that here, we are shocked and stunned that this is what it is coming to over there.

Wider implications include questions such as, what is the Republican Party going to do about this..? Mike Pence yesterday severed all ties with his President. Americans should at least admire him for that. He has shown that most saving of graces: Remorse. And he is distancing himself from these events.

I wonder what the hierarchy of the Republican Party feels though......those who hold power in the political party...... Surely they must be now doing a lot of soul searching as to how they allowed the runaway monster that is Donald Trump get so far out of hand. After all, they were the ones who let him loose on the Presidency. They must carry some responsibility for his actions. What are they going to do in future..?
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#17New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 13:13:45
@DiscordTiger Said

But no not everyone on the scene is worthy of a sedition charge. But I wouldn’t be surprised if there are charges against some organizers or leaders eventually.

In addition to the ones related to the death.

Also I meant machine gun, But apparently my phone thought I needed mackerel instead.

Sigh.

"Organizers or leaders" - trump should be included.

And aren't there provisions where if you are involved in a crime and someone dies you could be charged with some form of murder? even if you didn't "pull the trigger" so to speak?

Accessory to murder or something like that?
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#18New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 14:57:34
@mrmhead Said

"Organizers or leaders" - trump should be included.

And aren't there provisions where if you are involved in a crime and someone dies you could be charged with some form of murder? even if you didn't "pull the trigger" so to speak?

Accessory to murder or something like that?

Yes those are accessory and or conspiracy statutes. They vary by crime and jurisdiction, but overall they are common for major violations (felonies or high crimes).

Sedition/treason are all federal charges. I don’t know those statues as well as local state criminal.

So yes, I’d really like to see an investigation and charges filed after the actions yesterday, but I don’t know exactly what statues. It seems clear enough to me to at least verify (investigations)

Though part of me just wants trumpsterf*** to go away and just let this be over already. Whatever to just let it end.

I have pretty strong opinions on how the confederacy was handled, and what should have been done if we get a magical mulligan, so that is kind of why my gut instinct of just letting it end also feels like a wrong path.

NE, Ohio
#19New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 15:01:18
@DiscordTiger Said

Sedition/treason are all federal charges. I don’t know those statues as well as local state criminal.

You should be on guard with your Mackerel gun as you approach those statues. They can be danger-mouse.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#20New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 15:03:26
I guess I’m mostly pissed about the confederate flag being flown.

Which I guess is f***ed up, that bother me more than a death.
I’ve been desensitized enough that our political events are bats*** enough people getting hurt and dying is normal.

Like active shooter drills in schools is normal.

It’s a sad day indeed.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#21New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 15:05:45
@mrmhead Said

You should be on guard with your Mackerel gun as you approach those statues. They can be danger-mouse.

Jfc. This is what I get for thinking I can see without bifocals. I’m too lazy and cold to put on my glasses so I’m typing with the phone 6 inches from my eyeball

NE, Ohio
#22New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 18:10:17
Fire up those Facial Recognition programs!

However, for some, it's not needed:
A West Virginia state lawmaker was among pro-Donald Trump rioters who stormed the US Capitol in Wednesday's deadly insurrection.

Republican Del. Derrick Evans, a supporter of President Donald Trump, recorded a Facebook Live video in which he can be heard shouting "We're in! We're in baby!" while moving among a crowd of rioters as he walked through a doorway of the Capitol.
4d4m On December 23, 2022

4dforum.org,
#23New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 19:45:27
I still think charges of sedition is too severe and would open it to future abuses; you know I'm right. Think about the Feds in Portland. Here's a take on demonstrations.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 21:14:34
Never again.......

Impeach Donald Trump Now
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#25New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 21:16:39
@4d4m Said

I still think charges of sedition is too severe and would open it to future abuses; you know I'm right.

I don’t know that you are right, and claiming that you are right and we know it is complete bulls***.

It is nothing more than your opinion.

Trump should be charged with sedition and terrorism both.

His idiot followers... same,

Oh, and 18 U.S.C. § 641, 18 U.S. Code § 371, 18 U.S. Code § 241 could and should also be charged.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#26New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 22:23:36
@4d4m Said

I still think charges of sedition is too severe and would open it to future abuses; you know I'm right. Think about the Feds in Portland. Here's a take on demonstrations.

you are most certainly not right.

sure you have an opinion and think what ever you want, and that's fine. However, whatever you think is neither right nor wrong, you do not get to be the decider.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#27New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 22:26:18
@dookie Said

Never again.......

Impeach Donald Trump Now

Calling for his impeachment now is kind of like trying to put on a second condom over the broken one in the delivery room and thinking the baby will magically vanish.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#28New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 22:47:54
Rocket science for Republicans......

NE, Ohio
#29New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 23:34:53
@DiscordTiger Said

Calling for his impeachment now is kind of like trying to put on a second condom over the broken one in the delivery room and thinking the baby will magically vanish.

Impeachment or the 25th, won't change what's happened, but it would put a nice big lasting stain on his term.

They should do it on the 18th, then bootlicker Pence can play "President for a Day"
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#30New Post! Jan 07, 2021 @ 23:44:30
@Jennifer1984 Said

Rocket science for Republicans......

This is actually the thing.

Of course we will never know now, but I believe that had Trump run his campaign on something like, "The Leftists don't want you to vote, so they can steal the election... So get out there and vote! Vote by mail! Vote in person! Don't let the liberals fool you! Vote!"

He would have won.

Granted the "leftist don't want you to vote" part would have been a lie, but his followers don't care about that.

In addition, if he had started some voting commission back in say 2017 or 2018, he could claim that he fixed the USA's broken voting system and at the same time the leftist tried to thwart him... etc... etc...

HIs followers would have eaten it up... and the republicans/conservatives that don't really like him would have said, "Well at least he's trying to make America great again... I'm voting for him".

Instead, he tried to undermine our system and still almost pulled if off.

PS
Some still think he is going to pull some last minute stunt and walk away with the election.

QAnon

Trump
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs