My Stats

Antarctica
PLS: ? 21.76

ProfileJournalFriendsPostsPics

Post digestive nuggets
TFS Journal
Democracy:
May 19, 2019 @ 03:37:49 pm

is the average person be making decisions about who should be governing a society. If you are sick you don’t take a vote – well maybe you do -- you go to an expert, a doctor.

A fundamental flaw in the way a democracy function is that decisions, for the most part, rely on public opinion.

The primary focus of public opinion is the immediate sub-communities the voter is closest to

If the scope of public opinion is limited to the local community it is going to be a lot easier to make a decision about the community.

But...

Quote | Reply

Erimitus

New Post! May 19, 2019 @ 04:37:21 pm
But what about major issues that affect the entire country and world. People spend their whole lives studying economy, agriculture, the military. How does a butur or baker make an informed decision on how to vote. So representatives are elected.

chaski

Stalker

New Post! May 19, 2019 @ 05:18:33 pm
Group Think...the practice of thinking or making decisions as a group in a way that discourages creativity or individual responsibility.

Example:

> There was a professional "course" on leadership... in it there was a specific "class" on a group surviving a plane crash in the desert.

> Before working on the "project" as a team (there were teams of roughly 7 to 10 people), each member was supposed to fill out a questionnaire that recorded what they as an individual thought should be done.

> Next the teams worked out the survival plan as a group.

> In the class there were something like 8 or so teams.

> Results: Almost all of the teams would have died or had significant losses.

> As individuals there were only a very few people who would have survived.

> Discussion: When discussing the survival plans, one team stood out as the most "cooperative" team in terms of working together.

> Instructors praised this team.

> The challenge: One guy in that group raised his hand and said... "I find this funny. As a group we worked so well together, but we would likely have all died."

The instructor looked at this participant's personal survival choices and said, "Huh! It looks like you would have survived if you had followed your own choices, but in the group you would have ended up dying with the group.... this is known as Group Think... it is a problem. Why did you follow the group?"

The participant answered, "It's part of the class to cooperate. In the real world I would have told everyone how to survive and it they wanted to do other stuff, I would have left and let them all die."

Democracy at its finest.

mrmhead

New Post! May 19, 2019 @ 09:04:43 pm
I'm glad for a representative democracy because I don't have time to study the details of economy or law and what's a better way to do things and such. So hopefully those who are elected have the know-how, but also consider input from their constituents..

And then I woke up...

Quote | Reply