Death penalty?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...14 15 16 · >>
6dark6dreams6 On August 19, 2010

hereford, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 03, 2007 @ 22:13:24
You for or against it?
And can you please explain why your either for or against it? I'm curious to know every ones opinion. I've been think about it a lot recently and i just wanted to know what everyone else thought. I'm against it for many reasons, but to be honest, they it all boils down to it being morally wrong. It's portraying the image that killing is ok if you have the power to do so, how is that justifiable?
Please discuss.
princessbubblegum On June 23, 2009

Deleted

, United States (general)
#2New Post! Aug 03, 2007 @ 22:16:29
I am for it.

Toby Keith's song says it best.....

Grandpappy told my pappy, back in my day, son
A man had to answer for the wicked that he done
Take all the rope in texas
Find a tall oak tree, round up all of them bad boys
Hang them high in the street for all the people to see that
Justice is the one thing you should always find
You got to saddle up your boys
You got to draw a hard line

hereford, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 03, 2007 @ 22:17:56
What about the person that has to kill the person on death row? Isn't it just replacing one murderer with another?
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#4New Post! Aug 03, 2007 @ 22:18:08
then what happens if you kill an innocent person. (it has happend) you cant bring them back
princessbubblegum On June 23, 2009

Deleted

, United States (general)
#5New Post! Aug 03, 2007 @ 22:19:51
@6dark6dreams6 Said
What about the person that has to kill the person on death row? Isn't it just replacing one murderer with another?

No, the person being put to death committed a crime, they are not innocent....it is not murder.

hereford, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 03, 2007 @ 22:20:51
@pete Said
then what happens if you kill an innocent person. (it has happend) you cant bring them back

Very true, nothing can be done then...a sorry is too late.
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#7New Post! Aug 03, 2007 @ 22:20:54
@princessbubblegum Said
No, the person being put to death committed a crime, they are not innocent....it is not murder.

yes it is, the person that throws the switch murders the other person

hereford, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Aug 03, 2007 @ 22:24:40
@princessbubblegum Said

What if the murder killed someone that committed a crime? Would it be ok then?

hereford, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Aug 03, 2007 @ 22:24:40
@princessbubblegum Said

What if the murderer killed someone that committed a crime? Would it be ok then?
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#10New Post! Aug 03, 2007 @ 23:24:18
the death penalty is a really flawed punishment.
for reasons.
(a) it might be better if it actually deterred criminals anymore than other punishments.
(b)murdering a murderer or other type criminal is pretty hypocritical.
(b)IMO it would be better to make the person live the rest of their life in prison. killing them seems a easy option for them.
(d)what happens if new evidence shows up that proves the criminal is actually inocent.

hereford, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Aug 03, 2007 @ 23:48:40
@mark_is_god Said
for reasons.
(a) it might be better if it actually deterred criminals anymore than other punishments.
(b)IMO it would be better to make the person live the rest of their life in prison. killing them seems a easy option for them.
(d)what happens if new evidence shows up that proves the criminal is actually inocent.

Well said. And plus, it costs quite a bit of money to put someone to death, apparently it costs more to put them to death than to keep them alive
Any way, like you said, there are many flaws in the punishment.
In my opinion its just replacing one murderer with another and making a certain type of murder legal. It also promotes that killing is an OK solution to a difficult problem.
shardsofwinter On September 23, 2008

Lost in the gray, Colorado
#12New Post! Aug 04, 2007 @ 00:39:56
@mark_is_god Said
for reasons.

I really agree with most of this. But I'm torn about the matter and always have been, because on the one hand, I believe that a person needs to pay for their crime, but on the other hand, innocents do get killed sometime.

Has anyone here seen The Life of David Gale? It's pretty relevant to this discussion, and it's a damn good film too.

antrim, Ireland
#13New Post! Aug 04, 2007 @ 00:52:40
@shardsofwinter Said
I really agree with most of this. But I'm torn about the matter and always have been, because on the one hand, I believe that a person needs to pay for their crime, but on the other hand, innocents do get killed sometime.

Has anyone here seen The Life of David Gale? It's pretty relevant to this discussion, and it's a damn good film too.

exactlty the criminal hasto pay for the crime.

but what punishment is best for this?
a simple way of finding this out is by asking.

would you rather die a quick death.
or
having to stay in a cell, thinking about what you've done for the rest of your life?? (plus you could add punishment activities e.g useless physical activities.)
shardsofwinter On September 23, 2008

Lost in the gray, Colorado
#14New Post! Aug 04, 2007 @ 01:56:17
@mark_is_god Said
exactlty the criminal hasto pay for the crime.

but what punishment is best for this?
a simple way of finding this out is by asking.

would you rather die a quick death.
or
having to stay in a cell, thinking about what you've done for the rest of your life?? (plus you could add punishment activities e.g useless physical activities.)

I would say that the way you die depends on the crime. All of the crimes are going to be worthy of the death penalty, but some are going to be more gruesome or viscious or whatever. I don't think that keeping a criminal locked up in a cell to repent is a good idea, because most of them aren't going to regret what they did. But I lean more towards the quick death.

antrim, Ireland
#15New Post! Aug 04, 2007 @ 02:08:13
@shardsofwinter Said
I would say that the way you die depends on the crime. All of the crimes are going to be worthy of the death penalty, but some are going to be more gruesome or viscious or whatever. I don't think that keeping a criminal locked up in a cell to repent is a good idea, because most of them aren't going to regret what they did. But I lean more towards the quick death.

so you'd rather die a quick death?

in that case the best punishment is a cell, as this is the punishment you didn't want.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...14 15 16 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs