Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#121New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 01:37:45
@4d4m Said

US Army minimum ASVAB requirement score-31
USMC minimum ASVAB requirement score-32

US Army maximum age for enlistment -35
USMC maximum age for enlistment -28

US Army minimum education requirement -HS Equivalent
USMC minimum education requirement -HS Diploma (or GED plus 30 college credits)

US Army personnel Active Duty 472,595
National Guard 331,881
Reserves 191,007

USMC personnel Active Duty 192,000
Reserves 38,500

The US Army fields 14 active combat divisions and 8 reserve divisions

The USMC fields 3 active combat divisions and 1 reserve division

You are only proving my point. They have different mission, thus they have different budgets.. different levels of manpower... different types of training... they are different...

They are not mutually exclusive.

If you want to make a real comparison then compare the Marine Corps with the Army Rangers and/or Army Special Forces.

>>> You know nothing John Snow <<<
4d4m On December 23, 2022

4dforum.org,
#122New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 01:38:31
THe same is true in business, when you can't hire enough people to fill the positions you dont just hire the best paper candidate for the job. In other words if you have three positions to fill, you aren't just hiring the top resume holder.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#123New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 01:42:10
@4d4m Said

THe same is true in business, when you can't hire enough people to fill the positions you dont just hire the best paper candidate for the job. In other words if you have three positions to fill, you aren't just hiring the top resume holder.

You are hiring the top three people who are a subset of the top resumes holders... unless someone has strings he/she can pull to circumvent the process.

BTW... how many people have you hired? How many resumes did you review for each position?
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#124New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 02:52:23
And... back on topic....

Cops who are looters...!?

"Thirteen Chicago police officers lounged and slept in the congressional campaign office of US Rep. Bobby Rush on June 1 as protests and looting occurred throughout the city, Rush and Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said Thursday."

>>> "They even had the unmitigated gall to go and make coffee for themselves and to pop popcorn -- my popcorn -- in my microwave, while looters were tearing apart businesses within their sight, within their reach," Rush said.<<<

Brilliant!

4dforum.org,
#125New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 18:16:48
@chaski Said

You are hiring the top three people who are a subset of the top resumes holders... unless someone has strings he/she can pull to circumvent the process.

BTW... how many people have you hired? How many resumes did you review for each position?

When I did hiring it took about 20 resumes to fill three positions.

Ok, so you understand the concept. Then with a police department if you hire 150 officers instead of 250 officers you automatically cut out the lowest qualified 100 applicants. Doesn't necessarily keep the Chauvin's out but it's a start. That's part of the benefit of de-funding, ie giving the department less money.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#126New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 18:50:57
@4d4m Said

you automatically cut out the lowest qualified 100 applicants.

That isn't what you were saying, but regardless of that, you are incorrect.

You were making a irrelevant (and incorrect) comparison between the U.S. Army and the U.S. Marine Corps. Then you added in an irrelevant (and incorrect) comparison between the U.S. Coast Guard and the U.S. Navy.

Then you threw in "if you have three positions to fill, you aren't just hiring the top resume holder", which is also incorrect (unless you are hiring a buddy or someone with connections).

Then you added, "When I did hiring it took about 20 resumes to fill three positions." Which doesn't tell us anything about why you made the selection of 3 out of 20.

Then you add in add "if you hire 150 officers instead of 250 officers you automatically cut out the lowest qualified 100 applicants" which isn't how people are selected. You don't start at the bottom, you start at the top. You hire the best 1st, then the next best, then the next best...all the way down until you've filled the position openings.

If you had 20 people applying and you only want 3... to take the best three... you will know the best three by a combination of their resume, training, past performance and recommendations (and to a point their job interview)...

You don't hire by eliminating candidates from the bottom first. If someone doesn't make the minimum "test score" they aren't even in the pool of candidates to be considered. You don't have to waste time eliminating them... they aren't there to begin with.

If you work from the bottom you are wasting your time and will likely confuse yourself.

PS
In a three year period of time I had to select 78 people from 500 qualified candidates. Trying to sort them from the bottom up would have been idiotic.

4dforum.org,
#127New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 21:57:54
Quote:
In a three year period of time I had to select 78 people from 500 qualified candidates. Trying to sort them from the bottom up would have been idiotic.

If you were my hiring manager and I caught you saying that I'd fire you.

***edited to fix quote tags. Tiger
Darkman666 On about 15 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#128New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 22:08:08
you assume through the police academy , they would sort of psychic evaluation testing through candidates trainings. just see there starting red flags to watch out. you assume they would be?? maybe that is the problem !!

4dforum.org,
#129New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 22:17:53
You would. If you were hiring you'd start from the most qualified individual and call them for an interview and work down the list. Then, using past experience you'd select enough applicants and start the elimination processes; drug tests, background checks, psych evals and etc. After that they'd begin their training.

You'd have to have a good handle on how many will wash out during the elimination and training parts to end up filling the vacancies.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#130New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 22:23:28
@4d4m Said

And if you tried to fire me, I would take you to court and hand you your ass, which would likely end up with you losing your job.

I always worked with HR departments and personnel hiring/selction rules/policy/procedure.

You have two choices:

1. Pick the best qualified candidate.. and the only way to know that is by looking at their resume, the past performance, their training/academics, and references.

2. You pick the minimally qualified candidate of your choice... to do that you still need to review their resume, the past performance, their training/academics, and references.

Again... even if you wanted to 1st eliminate all the unsuitable candidates you still need to review their resume, the past performance, their training/academics, and references.

No... to start with the best qualified and fill the open positions from the best qualified and work your way down.

You do not waste time with the least qualified... as it is a waste of time.

You know nothing John Snow.

You have a habit of talking nonsense... it is really quite funny...

4dforum.org,
#131New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 22:26:54
@chaski Said

That isn't what you were saying, but regardless of that, you are incorrect.

You were making a irrelevant (and incorrect) comparison between the U.S. Army and the U.S. Marine Corps. Then you added in an irrelevant (and incorrect) comparison between the U.S. Coast Guard and the U.S. Navy.

Then you threw in "if you have three positions to fill, you aren't just hiring the top resume holder", which is also incorrect (unless you are hiring a buddy or someone with connections).

Then you added, "When I did hiring it took about 20 resumes to fill three positions." Which doesn't tell us anything about why you made the selection of 3 out of 20.

Then you add in add "if you hire 150 officers instead of 250 officers you automatically cut out the lowest qualified 100 applicants" which isn't how people are selected. You don't start at the bottom, you start at the top. You hire the best 1st, then the next best, then the next best...all the way down until you've filled the position openings.

If you had 20 people applying and you only want 3... to take the best three... you will know the best three by a combination of their resume, training, past performance and recommendations (and to a point their job interview)...

You don't hire by eliminating candidates from the bottom first. If someone doesn't make the minimum "test score" they aren't even in the pool of candidates to be considered. You don't have to waste time eliminating them... they aren't there to begin with.

If you work from the bottom you are wasting your time and will likely confuse yourself.

PS

Out of 20 resumes 5 or so wouldn't check out. Another 5 would be eliminated from background checks. After interviews I'd have my top 6 selected and 3 would fail the drug test.

4dforum.org,
#132New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 22:32:15
And by the way Chaski, everything I said was absolutely correct and the evidence was provided. Infantry Marines are not special forces, they are more comparable to Airborne divisions or something of that nature. The elite forces in the USMC are the Recon units, scout snipers and FO's (Surveillance and Target Acquisition Platoons) and AngliCo which may not currently exist.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#133New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 22:37:55
@4d4m Said

And just to beat a dead horse, you and your opinion...

As an example: If you want to hire someone with a masters degree or a Phd in a specific field of biology who have 5 to 10 years of working experience in the given field,, and you have 100 applicants that meet that minimum criterion...

Now let' say that the mix is:

A. 25 with MS & 5 years experience
B. 25 with MS & 10 years experience
C. 25 with PhD & 5 years of experience
D. 25 with PhD & 10 years of experience.

The people in category "A" are a waste of time... they only have the minimal qualifications, and 75% of the other candidates exceed category "A".

Looking at the people in Category "A" for this particular job is a complete waste of your time.

The smart thing to do is to look at Category "D" first, as they are the highest qualified. Categories "B" and "C" could arguably be equal... education plus world experience... work experience plus education...

Category "D", however, has what you really want.. the top education that you want and the top work experience that you want. If you sort through them and not one is suitable for one or more reasons, you can all ways go to Category "B" and "C". But any way you look at it, Category "A" is the last group you look at... they are the least qualified.

You pass up 25 people who have the highest qualifications and 50 people who have very good qualifications to hire someone who is minimally qualified... now that is when your boss is going to consider firing you.

You know nothing John Snow.

***edited to remove quote tag
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#134New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 22:40:55
@4d4m Said

Out of 20 resumes 5 or so wouldn't check out. .

So you didn't waste time on them

@4d4m Said

Another 5 would be eliminated from background checks.

So you didn't waste time on them.

@4d4m Said

3 would fail the drug test.

Maybe you started wasting time on them...

@4d4m Said

top 6 selected

You worked on the... in your words... "top" candidates.

As I said.

John Snow... thank you for once again agreeing with me.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#135New Post! Jun 12, 2020 @ 22:50:06
@4d4m Said

And by the way Chaski, everything I said was absolutely correct and the evidence was provided. Infantry Marines are not special forces, they are more comparable to Airborne divisions or something of that nature. The elite forces in the USMC are the Recon units, scout snipers and FO's (Surveillance and Target Acquisition Platoons) and AngliCo which may not currently exist.

The real point is that each military service has its own specific mission (or sets of missions).

Thus no comparison will be fully "correct".

However, one can to a point compare similar groups within the service branches.

> Marines are probably most similar to Rangers
> Force Recon... is arguably its own beast...
> Delta and SEALs are similar
> Navy and Air Force fighter pilots... similar...
> Some Navy coastal groups are somewhat like the Coast Guard...
> etc...

All this similar but only to a point.

When comparing the hiring one needs to consider the mission of the branch AND the missions of the various units. Then one can compare requirements... but again only to a point...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs