The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Law

Death Penalty vs Life....whats the difference?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
TheBlackGhost On August 27, 2014

Chicago, Illinois
#1New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 05:10:19
Many people talk about how the death sentence is harsh and cruel, and that life in prison is the humane choice. To me, this is nonsense. The end result is the same: death. Whether they die now or in 100 years, it really makes no difference since their quality of life is so pathetically low.

Why is it more humane to let someone rot away in prison, wasting their life away, than to just finish them off quickly? It all comes down to "what's the point of living, if you cant really live"? Prison life is not always so bad, yes, but often it is, and even when it is not, it is monotonous, and in the end: meaningless. Not only does it waste resources, but it serves little purpose except to differentiate between two degrees of punishment: death and life in prison.

Somehow, people think that living in a cell for your whole life is better than death. If there is no death sentence, then there is also no need for "life in prison" either.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#2New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 06:45:15
@TheBlackGhost Said

Many people talk about how the death sentence is harsh and cruel, and that life in prison is the humane choice. To me, this is nonsense. The end result is the same: death. Whether they die now or in 100 years, it really makes no difference since their quality of life is so pathetically low.

Why is it more humane to let someone rot away in prison, wasting their life away, than to just finish them off quickly? It all comes down to "what's the point of living, if you cant really live"? Prison life is not always so bad, yes, but often it is, and even when it is not, it is monotonous, and in the end: meaningless. Not only does it waste resources, but it serves little purpose except to differentiate between two degrees of punishment: death and life in prison.

Somehow, people think that living in a cell for your whole life is better than death. If there is no death sentence, then there is also no need for "life in prison" either.

The point is just if you're wrong about who commited the crime. At least with a life sentence, they have their whole lives to find a way to prove their innocence. Once you're dead, that's it, no going back.

By your same logic though, it sounds like you're saying that since jail is so bad, no one should be sent there at all.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 06:58:49
The trouble is, a life sentence isn't really a life sentence, I think here in the UK it's 25 years (or 12 for good behavior) I'm not sure if I'd want the death penalty to be re-introduced here but they should scrap the term 'life sentence' cause it really isn't
sue2 On August 15, 2011

Deleted

cornwall, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 09:04:45
Very true here in the UK life in prison isn't your whole life. Also prisons are more like holiday camps.
deeFXCKINGjay On January 21, 2012
Bannned

, Kazakhstan
#5New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 13:16:48
@sue2 Said

Very true here in the UK life in prison isn't your whole life. Also prisons are more like holiday camps.

Ever been?
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#6New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 16:02:10
@deefXckingjay Said

Ever been?

I'm so tired of people claiming that prison is a great place to be. So they have internet. Not that great if the threat of getting your a** beat looms over your head everyday, and you have to s*** in front of your cellmates since there are no private restrooms.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 16:05:56
By that logic I would say all life is meaningless therefore what is the difference in mass-genocide of all people in the world, and you know, having a packet of crisps?
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 16:22:04
@sue2 Said

Also prisons are more like holiday camps.

I've been in prison, a short sentance well deserved.

The majority of my sentance was spent in an 'open' prison, supposedly the 'lenient' end of the system. I do not recommend it, to suggest it's in the slightest bit like a 'holiday camp' really does show some degree of ignorance.
TheBlackGhost On August 27, 2014

Chicago, Illinois
#9New Post! Nov 09, 2009 @ 20:55:39
@jmo Said

By that logic I would say all life is meaningless therefore what is the difference in mass-genocide of all people in the world, and you know, having a packet of crisps?

A valid point, I suppose... except that there is no reason to punish everyone.

-The point brought up before which is a good one is that a life sentence still gives room for error, which is very true. ...Of course, if the person admits that they are responsible and knows it, then what difference does it make since they wont be proved innocent?
sue2 On August 15, 2011

Deleted

cornwall, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Nov 10, 2009 @ 08:09:28
@deefXckingjay Said

Ever been?

No Ive not been inside & don't intend to be but I have a family member who was a prison officer for over 25 years.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#12New Post! Nov 10, 2009 @ 08:35:28
@TheBlackGhost Said

Allowing one life until ended by natural causes allows one to have that last chance to sincerely tell another they truly love them and the last chance to sincerely hear that they are loved back.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Nov 10, 2009 @ 08:37:26
Different countries have different prison standards. For example in San Quentin inmates have 4 hours out of the cells, the other 20 they are locked in. In the UK inmates have about 8 hours out of the cells. Although that 8 hours can be a long time if you are being beaten to s*** every day.

To the subject at hand, even if a person pleads guilty, even if there is 100% evidence they are guilty I still do not think a death sentence is appropriate. Even if the person cannot be rehabilitated.

We pay our taxes to keep them out of society and that is exactly what I want. Locked away not executed.
gingernproud On January 16, 2013
In need of a dunkin.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Nov 10, 2009 @ 10:19:49
there are cases now a days,were there is no doubt who the offender is based on d.n.a evidence.the laws in this country means that a life sentence is often as little as 12 years,some of these offenders have sexual preferences which determine they are very likely to re offend.i.m.o cases should be assessed on a individual basis and if there is no doubt the offender is guilty then they should be sentenced to the death penalty.the death penalty was abolished in this country for the main reason that some cases were questionable or were it was proved the accused was innocent,with today's advances in medical and d.n.a science there are many cases were there is no room for doubt.these are the cases i.m.o were the death sentence is justifiable on the grounds that the offender is guilty without a doubt and in cases of mass murders and sex offenders that they will re offend.i don't think the death penalty should be applicable for all murder cases ,dont get me wrong but i do think there should be something written into the law which does give the option of the death penalty in certain cases.

forensic cases
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs