Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Dec 16, 2009 @ 16:03:14
@arcades Said

Because your not getting the info from a dead body.

You getting it from the consciousness that has moved on, the one that used to inhabit that body.

So you're a Cartesian dualist? You think that the conscious mind merely inhabits the body?

The mind is inextricably linked to the body. It is demonstrable that every mental event accompanies a physical event in the brain. It's clear to everyone that as your brain activity reduces, you become less conscious and aware of your surroundings, as in sleep or anaesthesia. A mind is the conscious manifestation of physical events - if the physical events aren't going one, neither are the mental. When the physical brain is damaged, so is its mental capacaties.

If the mind was independent of the brain, then people with brain damage or Alzheimer's disease would be unaffected. To suggest that the mind is unaffected by the complete destruction of the brain implies that the mind can survive diseases which degenerate the brain less drastically. But it's obvious to anyone with a damaged brain that their mind is not the same as before. And it's obvious to any drunk or high person that the effect the drugs have on their physical brain affects their mind also, unavoidably so. It should also be obvious to anyone that before their brain existed their mind did not; I certainly can't remember anything before birth, or anything for some time after birth, for that matter. So I have absolutely no reason to believe that, as my brain decays and dies, the corresponding loss of consciousness will suddenly, at some magical point, be reversed and I will regain my conscious mind independently of my body.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Dec 16, 2009 @ 16:03:46
@Zzz Said

Through vibrations resonating from an alternate dimension.

Just a theory.

Explain your theory. How does it work?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Dec 16, 2009 @ 16:06:04
No.

Plus at above post, that is my number one favourite insult at the moment: 'Your beliefs are Cartesian'.

God I should really study, got an exam on the mind-body problem tomorrow.
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#19New Post! Dec 16, 2009 @ 16:10:44
@buffalobill90 Said

So you're a Cartesian dualist? You think that the conscious mind merely inhabits the body?

The mind is inextricably linked to the body. It is demonstrable that every mental event accompanies a physical event in the brain. It's clear to everyone that as your brain activity reduces, you become less conscious and aware of your surroundings, as in sleep or anaesthesia. A mind is the conscious manifestation of physical events - if the physical events aren't going one, neither are the mental. When the physical brain is damaged, so is its mental capacaties.

If the mind was independent of the brain, then people with brain damage or Alzheimer's disease would be unaffected. To suggest that the mind is unaffected by the complete destruction of the brain implies that the mind can survive diseases which degenerate the brain less drastically. But it's obvious to anyone with a damaged brain that their mind is not the same as before. And it's obvious to any drunk or high person that the effect the drugs have on their physical brain affects their mind also, unavoidably so. It should also be obvious to anyone that before their brain existed their mind did not; I certainly can't remember anything before birth, or anything for some time after birth, for that matter. So I have absolutely no reason to believe that, as my brain decays and dies, the corresponding loss of consciousness will suddenly, at some magical point, be reversed and I will regain my conscious mind independently of my body.

The consciousness is attached by the body, particularily the brain, until the body releases it in death. It cannot escape the illnesses of the body until the body has died, but then it is born again in the sense that it is freed from it's human limitations.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Dec 16, 2009 @ 16:11:40
@AmberB Said

The consciousness is attached by the body, particularily the brain, until the body releases it in death. It cannot escape the illnesses of the body until the body has died, but then it is born again in the sense that it is freed from it's human limitations.

How do you know?
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#21New Post! Dec 16, 2009 @ 16:12:33
@buffalobill90 Said

How do you know?

I don't.
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#22New Post! Dec 16, 2009 @ 16:14:40
@buffalobill90 Said

Yet some people can remember past lives.

The consciousness is both the physical brain and the higher mind.

The physical brain will react in a way we have all previously agreed upon as far a limitation.

Which is why our physical brains consciousness, which is only a small part of whole, will experience greater limitation with mental damage.