The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Manners & Etiquette

Dame Helen Mirren Has An Issue With Men Who Put Their Arm Around Their Partner’s Shoulders

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
how to you feel about someone having your partner's arms around your shoulder?
i like it, because show me that in love.
or Take Your Stinkin' Paws Off Me You Damn Dirty Ape!
View Results
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Sep 15, 2015 @ 01:41:23
I read this article this morning below. I thought interesting weird that a famous stress would feel this way in general. this how helen about this.

The 70-year-old actress has taken aim at men who put their arm around their partner’s shoulders – because it looks like “ownership”.

“It annoys me when I see men with an arm slung round their girlfriend’s shoulders,” The Queen star said. “It’s like ownership. Of course, when you’re young, you want the guy to take your hand and look after you.

“But when I see girls being leaned on, I want to say, ‘Tell him to get his damned arm off your shoulder’.”

I could make my mind to this article under Society & Lifestyles: Manners & Etiquette or the woman's talk topic. it is a little of both. I am lucky that my girlfriend hold my hand in public, more less, my arm around her shoulders. not that we are a shame. because she had a black belt in karate.

what strike me with this article, helen that your mate has his or her arm(s) around your shoulders. he or she own you. here is the article below.

Dame Helen Mirren Has An Issue With Men Who Put Their Arm Around Their Partner’s Shoulders

The actress has something to say about men who sling their arms around their partner’s shoulders. [Photo: Rex]

Dame Helen Mirren isn’t one to mince her words. The Oscar-winning actress is known for being ballsy and expressive with her opinions and probably has those attributes to thank for how successful she is.

But her latest tirade has people divided. The 70-year-old actress has taken aim at men who put their arm around their partner’s shoulders – because it looks like “ownership”.

“It annoys me when I see men with an arm slung round their girlfriend’s shoulders,” The Queen star said. “It’s like ownership. Of course, when you’re young, you want the guy to take your hand and look after you.

“But when I see girls being leaned on, I want to say, ‘Tell him to get his damned arm off your shoulder’.”

You won’t catch Mirren’s hubby, Taylor Hackford, putting his arm around her shoulders. [Photo: Rex]

The rest of the actress’ interview with the Mail On Sunday’s You Magazine was equally candid.

Comparing women to “toddlers in this modern world”, Damn Mirren said ladies are still “trying to find their position in the age of sexual liberation, birth control, education and financial independence.”

Women’s independence is an issue very close to Mirren’s heart. She’s previously spoken out on the importance of women standing up for themselves and the sexism of Hollywood and says that she thinks it’s a “very good idea” if we save marriage for later – like she did.

The actress didn’t marry until the age of 52 when she tied the knot with US film director Taylor Hackford.

She hinted that females today have a “princess complex” that makes them want to get hitched earlier rather than later – so they can don a beautiful gown and be the centre of attention for a day.

The elegant actress would tell her younger self to say “f*** off” more often.

She has some advice for herself, too. “At 70 years old, if I could give my younger self one piece of advice, it would be to use the words “f*** off” much more frequently.”

In June, Mirren hit the headlines for attacking Hollywood over “outrageous” sexism and ageism issues.

While she admits that her own sex-symbol status has been a “hindrance as well as a help”, she says “there’s a huge pressure on young girls to look a certain way these days but, as I age, I’ve lost that incredible insecurity of youth.”

Anne Hathaway’s another big-name actress who’s recently spoken out about the battles women face in the film industry. Despite only being a mere 32 years old, Hathaway says she’s faced ageism and has missed out on roles that have gone to younger stars.

“When I was in my early twenties, parts would be written for women in their fifties and I would get them,” she confesses in the October issue of Glamour magazine.

“And now I’m in my early thirties and I’m like, ‘Why did that 24 year old get that part?’ I was that 24-year-old once, I can’t be upset about it, it’s the way things are. All I can do right now is think that thankfully you have built up perhaps a little bit of cachet and can tell stories that interest you and if people go to see them you’ll be allowed to make more.”

Follow @YahooStyleUK on Twitter for all the latest style news.

Is Hollywood Ageist? Anne Hathaway Is Only 32 – And Already Losing Film Roles To Younger Actresses

it seem that helen not being prude about it. it is ok for a woman not have her man put his arms around in public. I thought that sign of love from him, he is your man. why would a woman in love think her partner own her? every man in love, she own him.

this topic for both men and women discuss. post your thoughts!

LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#2New Post! Sep 15, 2015 @ 02:04:30
Quote:
The elegant actress would tell her younger self to say “f*** off” more often.

She has some advice for herself, too. “At 70 years old, if I could give my younger self one piece of advice, it would be to use the words “f*** off” much more frequently.”

I entirely agree.

Women are taught to be agreeable, to not make waves. Even in this "modern" age. The older I get, I feel I was sold a bill of goods when it comes to men and women. Especially the stereotypes. It actually makes me quite angry.
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#3New Post! Sep 15, 2015 @ 12:10:35
I don't agree that an arm over the shoulder is indicating ownership. When ever I did that, it was for wanting to be close or show affection to the girl. I tend to like women that are shorter than me, so also lots of the hugs were at the shoulders because of the height difference.

As an example of what women do, they put their arms around a guys waist, can that denote ownership also? I agree that women can and should not put up with a lot of the BS that can go their way. But it should be up to that woman to decide what is best for her.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#4New Post! Sep 15, 2015 @ 13:22:31
To each their own. I put my arm around my wife's waist in public rather than her shoulder, and I do it because I like to display how proud I am to be with my wife and don't mind the display of affection. She, like a lot of women, do like this. I don't go overboard on the PDA though, as there is a limit to what people want to see. Putting my arm around her though is acceptable in my opinion.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Sep 15, 2015 @ 13:28:14
I wonder it is more ownship if a man put his hand on his woman's a** or a woman put her hand on her man's ass?
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Sep 15, 2015 @ 14:58:06
Wot twitter was made for.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Sep 15, 2015 @ 15:02:53

what do you mean by that?
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Sep 15, 2015 @ 15:30:24
@twilitezone911 Said

what do you mean by that?

Getting your panties in a twist over stuff like this.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#9New Post! Sep 15, 2015 @ 15:59:53
Getting your panties in a twist over stuff like this.

what I thought so strange about the article. someone like helen would offend by her husband's effects and she warn younger women to think their lovers that a way. you have wonder why helen would think way in the first place.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#10New Post! Sep 15, 2015 @ 17:53:38
It is possessive. Same with a lot of gestures actions considered chivalrous.
The whole set of interactions was based on the woman being weaker and lesser.

Does it annoy me when other people do it... No.

And about the chivalrous thing... Some actions are just polite no matter your gender. Like the first person to a door making sure it doesn't hit the next person the face. So I don't see things like that going away.

I hate the arm shoulder thing, because I'm short. It's always just been annoying as f***.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#11New Post! Sep 15, 2015 @ 17:59:38
I think chivalrous is the right word, why men do these gestures to their loves. I don't believe men believe women are weak or less than them. I think men is a proper way of treating a woman.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#12New Post! Sep 16, 2015 @ 00:21:50
To me it all sounds like a load of bollocks. If HM doesnt want her other half placing his arm over her shoulder as she thinks it's a sign that he is treating her as a possession then so be it. Just dont presume to tell blokes that when we place our arms over our cheese that we are doing so because we see our other half as a possession.

Reminds me of the feminist campaign in Sweden seeking to stop blokes from slouching on public transport as they see such slouching as the "normalized expression of power". Apparently if a bloke isnt sitting up straight on a bus or train this is a "symbolic and active recreation not just of power, but of a stereotypical form of masculinity". It is an "invisible and unconscious expression of power in an everyday, public space". I mean fair dinkum...
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#13New Post! Sep 16, 2015 @ 01:15:11
@shadowen Said

To me it all sounds like a load of bollocks. If HM doesnt want her other half placing his arm over her shoulder as she thinks it's a sign that he is treating her as a possession then so be it. Just dont presume to tell blokes that when we place our arms over our cheese that we are doing so because we see our other half as a possession.

[smile]https://i.tfster.com/i52/5/1/4/tfs_029515c94c43.gif"> [smile]https://i.tfster.com/i46/5/1/4/tfs_3839760d40a5.gif"> [smile]https://i.tfster.com/i52/5/1/4/tfs_029515c94c43.gif">
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs