Forums:
Random

Damage done by firearms

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Conflict On March 25, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! May 16, 2020 @ 21:14:47
I've read my fair share of atrocities committed in the world wars, though I have yet to find any along the lines of experimenting with people to find out how much damage different bullets do to the human body or how many shots it takes to kill people with different ammo at different ranges. Has any country ever done that kind of research?
Darkman666 On about 22 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! May 16, 2020 @ 21:46:34
@Conflict Said

I've read my fair share of atrocities committed in the world wars, though I have yet to find any along the lines of experimenting with people to find out how much damage different bullets do to the human body or how many shots it takes to kill people with different ammo at different ranges. Has any country ever done that kind of research?

yes. police do this call "csi ", it determine the angles of where the shots come from. each bullet has different ways of showing what kind of gun use.

the authorities have a metal funnel to shoot in for how ind of bullet, the damage that the bullet. the crime scene use laser projections to determined how far and the angle from, with precise pinpoint location, where the shooter was.

autotomy determine where the bullet enter and exit. the angle where the shooter was aiming.

the question is to banned guns all the together, and why we should not have at all.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#3New Post! May 17, 2020 @ 02:35:31
@Conflict Said

Germany
chaski On about 10 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#4New Post! May 17, 2020 @ 04:01:00
Yes.

So (at least in the USA) law enforcement has looked into what they call "knock down" power.

Way over simplifying here, the idea is not to kill and cause damage... the idea is to stop the bad guy from continuing his violent behavior. At various points cops used 38 cal, 357 cal, then 9mm... presently the go to round (at least for federal law enforcement) is the 10mm or 40 cal. Typically the duty carry round is a Hydra-Shok because of its "know down" power. Think of it as a Hollow-point bullet on steroids. High velocity rounds and armor piercing rounds are generally not the "go to" ammunition as they might inflict a "death wound" but not stop the bad guy "quick" enough.

Ok... that was way over simplified, but is based on the "science" of the bullet.

The military has a different purpose/function and so do their bullets... thus they use a different caliber.

Now, with the military part of it is about the "damage" the bullet causes... part of it is velocity as it helps accuracy... part of it is amount or volume of bullets a soldier can carry... part of it is cost (how much does it cost to make the bullets)...

With the USA & NATO countries they have gone with the 5.56mm over the 7.62 because of a combination of these factors.

Except "special forces"... they have a whole other set of "reasons".

Anyway... yes... some of it is about the specific damage a single bullet can cause... some of it is about how much damage can be caused by a weapon that carries more rounds...

There is science and math behind it all.

Sorry... again... way over simplified.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#5New Post! May 18, 2020 @ 04:03:09
Most of the research isn’t with actual people. They use pig carcasses and/or ballistic gel.

With the internet there is a lot of DIY experiments and how to make your own gels. But much of the actual research in the field is going to reference “ballistic gel tests” so if your looking for key words to search that might help. It’s actually a very large field of scientific study, for a lot of the reasons chaski meantioned. It’s very detailed and complex, but interesting in a science way.
chaski On about 10 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#6New Post! May 18, 2020 @ 04:10:13
@DiscordTiger Said

Most of the research isn’t with actual people. They use pig carcasses and/or ballistic gel.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! May 18, 2020 @ 17:19:48
maybe only in tv or the movies, i have seen military and police use rubber bullets to stun the person. which it is more practice than shoot in the arm and the leg to slow down. these rubber bullets come out of shotgun for more punch to it.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#8New Post! May 19, 2020 @ 04:54:20
@darkman666 Said

maybe only in tv or the movies, i have seen military and police use rubber bullets to stun the person. which it is more practice than shoot in the arm and the leg to slow down. these rubber bullets come out of shotgun for more punch to it.

Over here they are called "Baton Rounds". British police and army used them in Northern Ireland from the 1960's. They're nothing new.

They also caused some fatalities, for example, by hitting the area of soft organs and causing massive internal bleeding of striking the target in the head and causing severe injuries.

As for the practice of studying the ballistics of various rounds, using pig carcasses and gels, they don't fully simulate the effect of a round on a human body. Sure, they can tell what effect a round of this or that calibre might have on flesh, if flesh was all they hit, but any round that penetrates a human body may very possibly deflect off a bone, such as a rib or hip and it's path through the body significantly altered.

Also, deflecting off a bone may make the round tumble end over end. It would lose some force in this way but would do considerably more damage as it passed through the body.

All of these factors, and more besides, make the forecasting or predicting of how fatal a particular round may be, or whether certain rounds could be used as "stop" a target rather than kill him / her outright almost impossible to ascertain. Probabilities can be estimated, but not guaranteed.

The only thing we can say for certain is that all firearms have the potential to kill
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#9New Post! May 21, 2020 @ 10:54:34
@Erimitus Said

Germany

I wouldn't put it past Stalin as well.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#10New Post! May 21, 2020 @ 10:57:35
I'm always worried that if I were to blow my brains out with a gun
death won't be instant and there'd still be enough grey matter in tact
to trip every NDE, at once, stored in some hidden CMOS like part of the brain.

And then being caught in an ongoing and indefinite echo
of those NDEs long after brain death.

Like wacking open a macabre pinata for some really nasty candy to spill all over.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#11New Post! May 21, 2020 @ 20:40:09
i wonder you see a dead body, with a hole in head. the bullet when through the skull. if you open the dead body's mouth and but your ear next to the mouth.

would you hear the sea?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs