The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Creationism in science class

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
Should creationism be taught in school science classes?
Yes
No
View Results
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jan 31, 2010 @ 13:48:17
Cast your votes!

The teaching of creationism in schools is a controversial topic. Many proponents of creationism, primarily Christians, have argued that creationism ought to be taught alongside the mainstream scientific account of natural history in school science classes. They argue that it is only fair that all accounts are treated equally. Many religious parents feel that the authority of their beliefs are being undermined by the exclusive teaching of scientific accounts which disagree with their faith systems.

The scientific community, the government and the majority of parents in the UK are against the teaching of creationism in school science, preferring it to be examined in Religious Studies classes. In the US, the topic is more controversial, with the majority of the population being Christian and almost half attending church, and religion having a stronger influence on politics.

What's your opinion? Is it unfair to only teach the mainstream scientific account and leave out alternative theories? Or is creationism unscientific and unsuitable for science class?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 31, 2010 @ 13:50:42
I was reading somewhere that creationism being taught in schools is more popular here than any other western country, because of our 'liberal' idea's on other cultures we support creationism being taught in Muslim schools to encourage them to keep their separate identity.
deeFXCKINGjay On January 21, 2012
Bannned

, Kazakhstan
#3New Post! Jan 31, 2010 @ 13:52:19
I think it should be taught, but in RE class, alongside every other religious creation theories.
sugarflyguy On March 15, 2010
Pro-Pho-tographer

Deleted

Leaving TFS today:), United Ki
#4New Post! Jan 31, 2010 @ 13:53:48
@deeFXCKINGjay Said

I think it should be taught, but in RE class, alongside every other religious creation theories.

As I was going to say that +1
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 31, 2010 @ 13:54:35
@jmo Said

I was reading somewhere that creationism being taught in schools is more popular here than any other western country, because of our 'liberal' idea's on other cultures we support creationism being taught in Muslim schools to encourage them to keep their separate identity.

Faith schools and state schools are are different issue altogether.

I don't think we should be encouraging seperation or division of any kind.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 31, 2010 @ 13:55:31
@buffalobill90 Said

Faith schools and state schools are are different issue altogether.

I don't think we should be encouragin seperation or division of any kind.

Nor me, in the west coast it was odd. I was asked once whether I went to a Catholic school or a Protestant school. I insisted I went to a state school, he insisted that it was a Protestant school.

Taig bastard.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 31, 2010 @ 13:55:42
@deeFXCKINGjay Said

@sugarflyguy Said

As I was going to say that +1

Then please vote 'no'. I'd like as many responders as possible.
sugarflyguy On March 15, 2010
Pro-Pho-tographer

Deleted

Leaving TFS today:), United Ki
#8New Post! Jan 31, 2010 @ 13:57:34
Orite, didn't see the science bit
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 31, 2010 @ 13:59:30
@sugarflyguy Said

Orite, didn't see the science bit

Yeah, the writing above polls is hard to make out because of the crap colour scheme. I'm taking it up with the management!
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jan 31, 2010 @ 14:37:03
I was taught it alongside natural selection in science lessons. I saw no problem with that as it was just another theory about the existence of the universe. I can see why some may feel that it's wrong to put something that is not empirically known to be true in a science lesson though.

I'm not too sure really.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jan 31, 2010 @ 14:40:09
@sister_of_mercy Said

I was taught it alongside natural selection in science lessons. I saw no problem with that as it was just another theory about the existence of the universe. I can see why some may feel that it's wrong to put something that is not empirically known to be true in a science lesson though.

I'm not too sure really.

The thing is that evolution by natural selection is, firstly, not he only theory about natural history that contradicts the Bible, and secondly, it is verified by empirical evidence whereas creationism is not. They are both theories, but that doesn't mean they automatically have equal worth.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jan 31, 2010 @ 14:42:46
@buffalobill90 Said

The thing is that evolution by natural selection is, firstly, not he only theory about natural history that contradicts the Bible, and secondly, it is verified by empirical evidence whereas creationism is not. They are both theories, but that doesn't mean they automatically have equal worth.

Yeah that's true, but it was easy to be able to make judgements about the theories if you were taught them side by side. As long as the teacher never says that there is any scientific truth to creationism, I don't see the problem. Although perhaps both may be better off taught in an RE lesson, I don't know. But I do think that there isn't anything necessarily wrong with teaching both ideas side by side so you can see clearly and make your own judgement.