DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#16New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 21:04:04
@deefXckingjay Said

In science class?
Where's the science in it?

I didn't say it had to be in science class.

ETA: though I just noticed the OP had science class in there, duh, sorry I'm apparently failing at multitasking. It still would not bother me to have a brief mention of other theories, not like a huge focus on it.

and there is nothing wrong with saying "some people believe that flying spaghetti monster made the world with his noodly appendage"

They teach mythology, it doesn't mean we have to believe that Zeus still sits on Mt Olympus throwing thunderbolts in a storm. But if someone wants to, they have the freedom to look more into it, and believe what they want.
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#17New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 21:11:48
@mrmexico25 Said

gladly.

Would you like a translation too? Okay. Public schools are payed for by taxes. Tax payers choose whether or not to believe in anything. Schools, funding by these people can not RESPECT the institution of religion, no prohibit it's excercise. This means they CAN NOT teach it, but if a child wants to pray they can.

Yes I re-read it, but I'm not really seeing how you make the connection between the word "Respecting" and making it illegal to teach religion in school.

You said it was infringing on my "right" to keep religion and state seperate. When in fact it says,

--- Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.---

It seems to me that it could be just as easily read as, we are infringing on the teachers freedom of speech to talk about religion. Congress shall make NO LAW-- Prohibiting the free exercise of therof.

Its very clear to me.

Serpeation of church and states congress shall pass no law either way... Not for or agenst. In situations like this, congress refers to states rights. Congress aka .. the bill of rights is kinda left out of the whole mix.

So its not really infringing on my rights at all, really more of us infringing on the rights of the teacher, but thats really a state issue, not "bill of rights"issue.
mrmexico25 On November 19, 2019

Dallas, Texas
#18New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 21:17:22
Quote:
It seems to me that it could be just as easily read as, we are infringing on the teachers freedom of speech to talk about religion. Congress shall make NO LAW-- Prohibiting the free exercise of therof.

When you salary comes from tax payers, it's your job to shut the f*** up and teach the REGUAR SCHOOL CURRICULUM. No one cares what the teacher has to say about religion.

And yes, Congress shall make no law prohibiting the EXERCISE of religion. Teaching it in school is not an exercise, its practically converting. It's not right, et the kids figure it out on their own time, not THE TAX PAYERS time.
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#19New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 21:25:33
@mrmexico25 Said

When you salary comes from tax payers, it's your job to shut the f*** up and teach the REGUAR SCHOOL CURRICULUM. No one cares what the teacher has to say about religion.

And yes, Congress shall make no law prohibiting the EXERCISE of religion. Teaching it in school is not an exercise, its practically converting. It's not right, et the kids figure it out on their own time, not THE TAX PAYERS time.

Well I wouldn't say "no one cares". The teacher obviously cares. Remember this country was founded on the rights of the individual. And in this case.. that individual is the teacher. So to infringe or deny the rights of 1 individual you are taking precident and denying all rights to everyone.

Religion isn't typicaly in school curriculum, you arn't going to be tested on if god exists or doesn't. School books and curriculum are approved by states, not congress. Agian a states rights issue and zip to do with the Bill of rights.

If my childs teacher is a muslim and freely explains that glory be from Ala and he is the one true god, thats his or her right to express themselfs. Just like I'm allowed to pray at work. Just because it might inform a child who is in school at that very moment that there might be a higher power. Its not infringing on the rights of the children, in point of fact its reinforcing that freedom of speach is just that... Free.

The sooner you can show to your children that there are more opinions in this world that matter other than thier parents, the better we will all be.

Dallas, Texas
#20New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 21:27:42
you go ahead, become a teacher, and preach the glory of god and see how long you have your job then.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#21New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 21:32:13
@mrmexico25 Said

you go ahead, become a teacher, and preach the glory of god and see how long you have your job then.

There is a big difference between preaching the glory of god and saying that people believe the world was made 6000 years ago by a "god" that made the world in 7 days. And there is a lot of controversy between this and the theory of evolution in today's society.
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#22New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 21:35:11
@mrmexico25 Said

And if I was a teacher and I then lost my job because I spoke about my religious beleifs... Wouldn't that also violate my rights?

At what point does freedom of speech not mean.... Freedom?

Dallas, Texas
#23New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 21:43:47
Quote:
And if I was a teacher and I then lost my job because I spoke about my religious beleifs... Wouldn't that also violate my rights?

being a pubic figure, who's paid by tax payers absolutely not. You know what you're signing up for.
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#24New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 21:47:26
@mrmexico25 Said

being a pubic figure, who's paid by tax payers absolutely not. You know what you're signing up for.

So, the president isn't allowed to comment on religon, or the major, or a garbage man, or a policeman, or fireman... They all know that in order to do thier job they simply can't comment on thier religion because it would mean they could lose thier job.

Thats basicly what your saying.

They know what they are signing up for right?
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#25New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 21:50:28
@mrmexico25 Said

@mrmexico25 Said

The very foundation that the U.S.A. was built upon has crumbled due to pure ignorance.

I find it strangly ironic that you could say both of these statements in an hours time.

Dallas, Texas
#26New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 21:53:36
Absolutely. You can go as far as saying the pledge of allegiance is crossing boundaries too, by implying God is everyone's choice in schools.

The difference between firefighters and teachers is that Firefighters can't persuade a CHILD to believing something he/she may not want to or know nothing about. Teachers have more responsibility than most people think, being at least 50% responsible for the future of our kids. That's a heavy price to pay for the sacrifice of free thinking future adults don't you think? It's hypocritical for teachers, and school districts to force this upon anyone.
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#27New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 22:01:35
@mrmexico25 Said

Absolutely. You can go as far as saying the pledge of allegiance is crossing boundaries too, by implying God is everyone's choice in schools.

The difference between firefighters and teachers is that Firefighters can't persuade a CHILD to believing something he/she may not want to or know nothing about. Teachers have more responsibility than most people think, being at least 50% responsible for the future of our kids. That's a heavy price to pay for the sacrifice of free thinking future adults don't you think? It's hypocritical for teachers, and school districts to force this upon anyone.

When you ask the average child what he or she wants to be when they grown up. Nearly half would say firefighter. I know thats what i said when I was asked that question. Fire fighters hold more sway on the education of children than you may think. But thats not really important.

Whats more important is, you seemily total disregard for freedom of speech. If you limit what one group of people can or can't talk about, where doyou stop? What next, they can't talk about democrats? or republicans? Or the enemys of whatever party happens to be making the rules that day? Its a slippery slope.

Its been done before, 1936 Germany.

Freedom of speech is absolute, as long as it doesn't bring harm. AKA fire in movie theaters.

I'm sorry if you don't like whats being said, but you need to step back and jump into someone elses shoes for half a second.

Remember our forfather who said. "Those who wish to deny rights of another, do not deserve rights themselfs".

Dallas, Texas
#28New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 22:03:20
And yet our forfathers were slave owners. A lot of validity in that statement.
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#29New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 22:06:36
@mrmexico25 Said

And yet our forfathers were slave owners. A lot of validity in that statement.

But does that make that statement any less valid? Slave owning pot growing, wooden teeth having, white old men they might have been, but keep in mind they did draft our constitution and the bill of rights you continue to misquote and misunderstand.

Dallas, Texas
#30New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 22:08:03
This is why I don't do politics. I gave up on this s*** a couple of years ago for a reason. done.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...15 16 17 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs