Could any animal develop intelligence?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 21:58:02
Firstly the question, if humans no longer existed on Earth could another animal evolve to an intelligent state like us? I once saw a hypothetical visualisation of what a humanoid dinosaur might look like and this question has come from that.

I know no intelligent dinosaur evolved throughout their hundreds of millions of years of existence and we've developed amazingly quickly geologically speaking.

But do you think if we were all wiped off the planet some other animal could evolve to our levels of intelligence?

What could it be?

Now this is an evolution/biology question, the first mention from the usual suspects saying 'evolution is false' or mentions of Creation/God I will request it be locked.
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:01:42
I'll start it by speculating that said creature would have to be a prey species rather than a predator. The evolutionary pressure to develop intelligence would be stronger.

I invite an opposite view.
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#3New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:03:55
@SparklyKatie Said

Firstly the question, if humans no longer existed on Earth could another animal evolve to an intelligent state like us? I once saw a hypothetical visualisation of what a humanoid dinosaur might look like and this question has come from that.

I know no intelligent dinosaur evolved throughout their hundreds of millions of years of existence and we've developed amazingly quickly geologically speaking.

But do you think if we were all wiped off the planet some other animal could evolve to our levels of intelligence?

What could it be?

Now this is an evolution/biology question, the first mention from the usual suspects saying 'evolution is false' or mentions of Creation/God I will request it be locked.

I think it would depend on the conditions of the earth and whether or not mammals would be able to survive in those conditions.
But yes, I don't see why intelligent animals would not evolve after a disaster like extinction. It happened once, it could happen again.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#4New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:05:00
@SparklyKatie Said

What could it be?

If not here, there's two hundred septabajillion stars with other planets that might. And the key isn't mere intelligence, a lot of animals have that. The diff is self-awareness, and only a few (apes, elephants, maybe porpii) have a primitive form of that. Don't know why we're the only ones to get full fledged treatment, or if others might, whether we're here or not.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#5New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:06:28
@SparklyKatie Said

What could it be?

The assumption is that we have "intelligence"... I suppose even within our self destructive nature we are still "intelligent".

My answer. Yes. In time we will be replaced by equal or higher intelligence.
\m//O_O\\m/

#6New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:07:01
@Wheezy_Knight Said

I'll start it by speculating that said creature would have to be a prey species rather than a predator. The evolutionary pressure to develop intelligence would be stronger.

That's interesting, could you expand what you mean?

@futilevoice Said

I think it would depend on the conditions of the earth and whether or not mammals would be able to survive in those conditions.
But yes, I don't see why intelligent animals would not evolve after a disaster like extinction. It happened once, it could happen again.

I wasn't limiting the animals to mammals, other animals could do it too I think.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#7New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:09:06
@Wheezy_Knight Said

No, I think so. Teamwork is an especially important catalyst that develops with predators, like Harris Hawks, some dogs, porpii and orcas.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#8New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:11:12
@chaski Said

The assumption is that we have "intelligence"... I suppose even within our self destructive nature we are still "intelligent".

My answer. Yes. In time we will be replaced by equal or higher intelligence.

What could be higher than self-awareness. We might become cyborgs, but that's just an increase in efficiency and speed. (I say "just", you know what I mean.)
\m//O_O\\m/

#9New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:11:23
@ThePainefulTruth Said

No, I think so. Teamwork is an especially important catalyst that develops with predators, like Harris Hawks, some dogs, porpii and orcas.

Prey animals show teamwork too. Meerkats and monkeys are two I can think of.

Deleted

#10New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:11:58
@ThePainefulTruth Said

The diff is self-awareness, and only a few (apes, elephants, maybe porpii) have a primitive form of that. Don't know why we're the only ones to get full fledged treatment, or if others might, whether we're here or not.

Are we talking tool using + self aware + intelligence.

There may well have been intelligent dinosaurs, but they were not tool users. (Although fossil records do not indicate a large brain in any.)

We use only a small portion of our brain, If a creature used a larger portion it might not need the volume.

Deleted

#11New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:15:46
@SparklyKatie Said

@ThePainefulTruth Said

The social structure we'd need for our new creature is I believe needed to fit our model of intelligence, but a predator that is too efficient would soon loose the evolutionary pressure to continue evolving.

The pressure NEVER lets up on a prey species
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#12New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:21:17
@ThePainefulTruth Said

What could be higher than self-awareness...

Self-awareness that stands on a foundation of knowledge, compassion and tolerance.

I do not know that any species will evolve to match our level of "intelligence" and self-awareness.

I do, however, think that we humans will go extinct some day.

We have yet to be a successful species as compared to the longevity of the neanderthal (as just one example).

If we have exceeded the neanderthal in intelligence and self-awareness, I can easily hope that we are "replaced" some day by a species that will exceed us in similar or greater measure.

(Of course, if you hang your hat on the biblical time line, everything I just said is crap. )
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#13New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:32:21
@SparklyKatie Said

I wasn't limiting the animals to mammals, other animals could do it too I think.

When I say mammals, I was thinking of our evolutionary chain. There are plenty of intelligent animals on the planet, some even compassionate and empathetic. Elephants, dolphins, chimps, even some birds are quite clever.

But these animals lack the physical structure that would enable them to "subdue" the earth if you will and create the world we see today.
I can't think of any other species with our capacity.

Deleted

#14New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:43:17
@futilevoice Said

When I say mammals, I was thinking of our evolutionary chain. There are plenty of intelligent animals on the planet, some even compassionate and empathetic. Elephants, dolphins, chimps, even some birds are quite clever.

But these animals lack the physical structure that would enable them to "subdue" the earth if you will and create the world we see today.
I can't think of any other species with our capacity.

We kind of hit opposable thumbs and get stuck. Hard to find anything that would work as well as those.

An Octopus is fairly intelligent, and is self aware, but those tentacles are no use out of water.
xLETHAL_VIXENx On January 22, 2015
Logical Alien

Your pants, United States (gen
#15New Post! Feb 14, 2012 @ 22:45:13
I believe animals COULD develop intelligence, given a long period of time.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs