Congressman Complains He's 'Stuck' Making $172,000 a Year

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Sep 21, 2013 @ 22:28:19
Quote:
Gingrey (R-GA) made his statements at a closed-door GOP meeting over whether Congress members and staffers should continue to receive a government subsidy towards their health insurance when Obamacare takes effect.

Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) said that losing the subsidy would cost him $12,000. "That's a burden. And it's a burden on our staff, too."

Gingrey shot back that he has no sympathy for congressional staffers, since they can switch to lobbying jobs "and make 500,000 a year. Meanwhile I'm stuck here making $172,000 a year."

https://politix.topix.com/homepage/8013-congressman-complains-hes-stuck-making-172-000-a-year?utm_source=Politix+Users&utm_campaign=1c08d0d841-tsemail-20130921&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_316410e72d-1c08d0d841-29838109

Oh the poor dear politician .
It must be a real hard ship to have to work 15 or so hours a week for an annual ( I mean measly )take home pay of $172,000 plus benefits and pension.
------------------------------------------------------

In this article the Georgia Republican tries to explain his way out of the corner he's painted himself into.

Congressman on Obamacare Exemption: ‘Go Home and Talk to Your Wife’

Quote:
At issue is a requirement in the law that congressional staffers purchase their health insurance in the exchange markets. The Office of Personnel Management recently ruled that the federal government can continue providing a subsidy to use in the exchange markets, which critics such as Senator David Vitter have railed against as a special exemption from the law for Congress

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/358876/congressman-obamacare-exemption-go-home-and-talk-your-wife-jonathan-strong
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#2New Post! Sep 24, 2013 @ 02:06:12
@white_swan53 Said

https://politix.topix.com/homepage/8013-congressman-complains-hes-stuck-making-172-000-a-year?utm_source=Politix+Users&utm_campaign=1c08d0d841-tsemail-20130921&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_316410e72d-1c08d0d841-29838109

Oh the poor dear politician .
It must be a real hard ship to have to work 15 or so hours a week for an annual ( I mean measly )take home pay of $172,000 plus benefits and pension.
------------------------------------------------------

In this article the Georgia Republican tries to explain his way out of the corner he's painted himself into.

Congressman on Obamacare Exemption: ‘Go Home and Talk to Your Wife’

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/358876/congressman-obamacare-exemption-go-home-and-talk-your-wife-jonathan-strong

Just when we think they can't get any lower. Amazing!
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#3New Post! Sep 24, 2013 @ 17:34:32
Hey, cut the guy a break...losing the subsidy is going to cost him as much as I make in a year.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#4New Post! Sep 25, 2013 @ 01:44:45
@shinobinoz Said

If we don't know just how low politicians can go by now ,then we need to just give up and move to tim buck two.

@someone_else_again Said

Hey, cut the guy a break...losing the subsidy is going to cost him as much as I make in a year.

Yes , I agree, the poor sorry politicians need us to cut them some slack ,,,,

If it would cost him that much to have the new health care without a subsidy, I wonder how much it will cost the average citizen without a subsidy ??
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#5New Post! Sep 25, 2013 @ 02:13:21
@shinobinoz Said

What do you expect? They're politicians. There were already at below ground level to begin with.

@someone_else_again Said

With that kind of money, I could buy a new game system, completely refurnish my "man skunk cave," start making videos, put the rest away and live comfortably for a long time.

And maybe buy a pair of Christina Ricci's sweaty gym socks off of eBay...
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#6New Post! Sep 25, 2013 @ 17:03:11
@white_swan53 Said

If it would cost him that much to have the new health care without a subsidy, I wonder how much it will cost the average citizen without a subsidy ??

Actually, I don't know. I just looked the other day at the online "calculator" and found that I qualify for medicaid.

If my income were twice what it is now though, health care would cost $353 per month or so with the subsidy. Without it, it was over $700 per month.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#7New Post! Sep 25, 2013 @ 17:09:40
@someone_else_again Said

Actually, I don't know. I just looked the other day at the online "calculator" and found that I qualify for medicaid.

If my income were twice what it is now though, health care would cost $353 per month or so with the subsidy. Without it, it was over $700 per month.

That's crazy, I cover my whole family for less than $700 without a subsidy.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#8New Post! Sep 25, 2013 @ 17:24:06
@El_Tino Said

That's crazy, I cover my whole family for less than $700 without a subsidy.

Less than $700 per month? I didn't spend a lot of time looking at it so I don't quite remember the specifics.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#9New Post! Sep 25, 2013 @ 17:26:55
@someone_else_again Said

Less than $700 per month? I didn't spend a lot of time looking at it so I don't quite remember the specifics.

I know NM is one of the cheaper states for insurance and I didn't get the most expensive plan so that could be part of it.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#10New Post! Sep 25, 2013 @ 17:32:19
@El_Tino Said

I know NM is one of the cheaper states for insurance and I didn't get the most expensive plan so that could be part of it.

Oh yeah...there's that I wasn't looking at specific plans either, it was just a generic calculator on the WA site.

I just looked with the Henry J Kaiser Family Foundation Subsidy Calculator and it indicates I could get on the bronze plan for about $538 per month.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#11New Post! Sep 25, 2013 @ 17:36:10
@someone_else_again Said

Oh yeah...there's that I wasn't looking at specific plans either, it was just a generic calculator on the WA site.

I just looked with the Henry J Kaiser Family Foundation Subsidy Calculator and it indicates I could get on the bronze plan for about $538 per month.

That site says my family could go for $4,808/year which is $2k less than we're spending now for a slightly better plan.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#12New Post! Sep 25, 2013 @ 18:02:05
@El_Tino Said

That site says my family could go for $4,808/year which is $2k less than we're spending now for a slightly better plan.

The part that gets me is that it's more than half of my gross income.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#13New Post! Sep 25, 2013 @ 18:03:57
@someone_else_again Said

Somehow healthcare became ridiculously expensive. I once got an ultrasound that took all of 15 minutes and the bill would've been $1,200 without insurance.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#14New Post! Sep 25, 2013 @ 18:09:17
@El_Tino Said

Somehow healthcare became ridiculously expensive. I once got an ultrasound that took all of 15 minutes and the bill would've been $1,200 without insurance.

Yeah. I'm sure I'm missing something in the big picture. I can't imagine how my life would improve by having to purchase something I won't use much and now having to pay for everything else out of $500 per month. I would have to choose between food and a crappy apartment, I think.

On the bright side, I'm pretty sure my state is expanding Medicaid and I should qualify.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#15New Post! Sep 26, 2013 @ 03:05:46
@someone_else_again Said

I'm pretty sure that will not be the case. You will only be on the hook up to a certain percentage of income then other things kick in.
Exceptions to Minimum Essential Coverage Eligibility
ACA provides certain exceptions regarding eligibility for minimum essential coverage and receipt of premium credits. An individual who is only eligible to obtain coverage through the individual (nongroup) health insurance market may be eligible to receive a premium credit. Also, an individual eligible for an employer-sponsored plan may still be eligible for premium credits if the employer’s coverage is either (1) not affordable; that is, the employee’s premium contribution toward the employer’s self-only plan would exceed 9.5% of household income; or (2) does not provide minimum value; that is, the plan’s payments cover less than 60% of total allowed costs on average.25 Of the 29 million individuals estimated by CBO to enroll in exchanges in 2023, approximately 1 million are estimated to be enrolled because their employer’s coverage is unaffordable.
https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41137.pdf
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs