Forums:
Politics

Congress & Stimulous Bill

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#1New Post! Feb 13, 2009 @ 04:30:43
800+ pages long and the media tells me that no Congressman has read the cntents.
The deadline is tomorrow. Suggest they divide the bill into 10 parts of 100 pages each Then vote on each separately. Givig themselves What is your opinion?
One day for each section?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Feb 13, 2009 @ 04:47:50
They still won't read it and chances are the vast majority of them wouldn't understand it if they did.

Every Congressman has staff that read it for him or her. They generally rely on executive summaries if they even read those. Many simply vote along party lines or vote based on a handful of key or controversial topics. Others vote based on what they hear in the debates on the floor of the House or Senate, news media, lobbyists, etc. Some vote based on whether certain riders or pieces of pork are in the bill.

Most vote from some combination of the above. Few or none vote based on the full content of the bill itself.
RrrendezVoodoo On April 23, 2009

Deleted

, New York
#3New Post! Feb 13, 2009 @ 04:50:56
@jonnythan Said

They still won't read it and chances are the vast majority of them wouldn't understand it if they did.

Every Congressman has staff that read it for him or her. They generally rely on executive summaries if they even read those. Many simply vote along party lines or vote based on a handful of key or controversial topics. Others vote based on what they hear in the debates on the floor of the House or Senate, news media, lobbyists, etc. Some vote based on whether certain riders or pieces of pork are in the bill.

Most vote from some combination of the above. Few or none vote based on the full content of the bill itself.

Can you elaborate about the certain riders or pieces of pork part? I'm not debating you, I really don't understand that part though.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#4New Post! Feb 13, 2009 @ 04:56:59
What do you want me to elaborate about? I am going to bed shortly, but it seems pretty self-explanatory.

Deleted

, New York
#5New Post! Feb 13, 2009 @ 04:57:50
@jonnythan Said

What do you want me to elaborate about? I am going to bed shortly, but it seems pretty self-explanatory.

I'm not familiar with that term. I'll just google it.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#6New Post! Feb 13, 2009 @ 05:01:25
Congresscritters typically attach relatively unrelated pieces of "pork barrel" legislation onto bills in the form of riders. Someone might attach a rider giving $1 million to a science museum in his constituency to a bill regarding broccoli import tarrifs, or something like that.

Deleted

, New York
#7New Post! Feb 13, 2009 @ 05:03:55
@jonnythan Said

Congresscritters typically attach relatively unrelated pieces of "pork barrel" legislation onto bills in the form of riders. Someone might attach a rider giving $1 million to a science museum in his constituency to a bill regarding broccoli import tarrifs, or something like that.

Alright, gotcha. Thanks
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs