Philosophy

Communication Breakdown - Educated Knowledge VS Wisdom

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#1New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 20:26:38
Painful started a thread awhile back concerning 'Psychobabble' or rather becoming too colorful with obscure terminology, for creativity sake, and in return discouraging potential respondents whom don't have the time to keep referencing a thesaurus.

This can be as hard to follow as wall of texts, all caps, and elementary level grammatical skills.

But somewhere between the two extremes exists wisdom, wisdom can not only speak for itself but knowing how to use it can also translate the general ideas that people make a mess of grammatically.

Ok, so after sitting here for months listening to Tariki I've just come to the conclusion that the Bible isn't as inane as it appears but the poor people attempting to write it probably could not afford the education to learn how to express themselves properly with written text.

It seems that the people that do actually get any use of the Bible are resorting to just trusting the intentions of the authors and applying empathy and cognition by asking themselves "Ok, so how can this statement be a 'good' thing?'

With wisdom we start to learn to listen to people's hearts more so than trying work around their speech impediments.

I don't mean that we should all toss our hands up in the air and start practicing telepathic communication but grammar Nazi's really need to let up.

Some of the wisest and most heart felt things that I've heard in my life have been written in the most inane and idiotic ways but by simply caring enough for someone else, people can make the effort to at least get the basics of what others are attempting to express.

A million and one college professors can not even attempt to put into words what some very simple people can demonstrate through a vibe.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 20:31:16
@Electric_Banana Said

Painful started a thread awhile back concerning 'Psychobabble' or rather becoming too colorful with obscure terminology, for creativity sake, and in return discouraging potential respondents whom don't have the time to keep referencing a thesaurus.

This can be as hard to follow as wall of texts, all caps, and elementary level grammatical skills.

But somewhere between the two extremes exists wisdom, wisdom can not only speak for itself but knowing how to use it can also translate the general ideas that people make a mess of grammatically.

Ok, so after sitting here for months listening to Tariki I've just come to the conclusion that the Bible isn't as inane as it appears but the poor people attempting to write it probably could not afford the education to learn how to express themselves properly with written text.

It seems that the people that do actually get any use of the Bible are resorting to just trusting the intentions of the authors and applying empathy and cognition by asking themselves "Ok, so how can this statement be a 'good' thing?'

With wisdom we start to learn to listen to people's hearts more so than trying work around their speech impediments.

I don't mean that we should all toss our hands up in the air and start practicing telepathic communication but grammar Nazi's really need to let up.

Some of the wisest and most heart felt things that I've heard in my life have been written in the most inane and idiotic ways but by simply caring enough for someone else, people can make the effort to at least get the basics of what others are attempting to express.

A million and one college professors can not even attempt to put into words what some very simple people can demonstrate through a vibe.

There are plenty of things in the Bible which are very eloquently and articulately worded. Some of these messages are inspiring and beautiful. Many of them are clear instructions to carry out horrific acts of violence. I don't think the latter can be chalked up to illiteracy.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 20:37:20
I agree with you in terms of academic terminology, but if you look at literature there are those paragraphs that sum up exactly how you feel at certain points. Maybe not for everyone as emotion is by nature subjective, but it does articulate it pretty well for me anyway.

, New Zealand
#4New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 20:45:08
@buffalobill90 Said

There are plenty of things in the Bible which are very eloquently and articulately worded. Some of these messages are inspiring and beautiful. Many of them are clear instructions to carry out horrific acts of violence. I don't think the latter can be chalked up to illiteracy.

Hmm...how can I say this. My intention isn't to try and promote the Bible to top of the best seller's list.

Rather just to say that despite the good inspiration, the bad suggestions there are some parables that look like a bad acid trip.

But either way, if you just look to 'paint it all pretty' even some of the evil ideas might accidentally prove to be beneficial in a kind manner.

But more so than the Bible, I'm talking about everyone, nowadays, in general.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#5New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 20:46:41
i'm kinda a red letter person.
those are the words jesus said, the rest is commentary.

, New Zealand
#6New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 20:54:48
@Willi Said

i'm kinda a red letter person.
those are the words jesus said, the rest is commentary.

I'm not really a Bible expert - only read a few chapters and thought that the red text was Satan speaking - crimson is commonly considered a sinister color.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#7New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 20:57:55
@Electric_Banana Said

I'm not really a Bible expert - only read a few chapters and thought that the red text was Satan speaking - crimson is commonly considered a sinister color.

never thought of it that way.
i better start a movement to get that color changed.
what color sounds jesusish?

, New Zealand
#8New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 21:01:24
@Willi Said

never thought of it that way.
i better start a movement to get that color changed.
what color sounds jesusish?

Most people, from my experience, take to blue.

My favorite, personally, is purple - erm, not for any political reasoning though - I just find it appealing.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#9New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 21:24:31
@Electric_Banana Said

Most people, from my experience, take to blue.

My favorite, personally, is purple - erm, not for any political reasoning though - I just find it appealing.

https://crystal-cure.com/color-meanings.html

You might find this interesting. Purple means royalty, magic or mystery. Not a bad color choice.

Interestingly enough, blue represents youth, spirituality, peace and truth.

Red is not sinister but action, confidence, courage and vitality - that might be because it's associated with blood.

, New Zealand
#10New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 21:34:17
@someone_else Said

https://crystal-cure.com/color-meanings.html

You might find this interesting. Purple means royalty, magic or mystery. Not a bad color choice.

Interestingly enough, blue represents youth, spirituality, peace and truth.

Red is not sinister but action, confidence, courage and vitality - that might be because it's associated with blood.

Bright red lipstick and a well-fitted dress, to some extent, has been portrayed as 'seductive' in stories and film.

And every time you see a lil' cartoon devil he's usually holding a pitchfork and colored red.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#11New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 21:38:16
@Electric_Banana Said

Bright red lipstick and a well-fitted dress, to some extent, has been portrayed as 'seductive' in stories and film.

And every time you see a lil' cartoon devil he's usually holding a pitchfork and colored red.

Yes, red is also associated with sensuality and heat. That's why the devil is red...it's a little bit hot in a lake of fire.

, New Zealand
#12New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 21:57:37
@someone_else Said

Yes, red is also associated with sensuality and heat. That's why the devil is red...it's a little bit hot in a lake of fire.

Red is also the matador's cape which antagonizes the bull

and the color of baboons bottoms displayed to frighten others in self-defense.

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 22:02:52
Thing that annoys me is when people use latin terms to describe fairly basic and simple ideas, just to sound more knowledgable.

I'm a complete hypocrite because I do it all the time without even noticing, I think in an average essay I write 'A Priori' and 'A Posteriori' about 20 times. Still annoys me though as it seems needlessly high minded.

Also hate it when people again say something basic but decide to tell you who wrote it, before saying it, and 9 times out of 10 get the meaning wrong. This happens every single time anyone tries to quote Nietzsche.

Again I do that a lot but I at least try to get what they say correct.

I also hate it when people write needlessly long sentences which seem to go on for about five lines each time with about twelve commas, even though shorter sentences would be more concise and there really should be more full stops, but there aren't, instead there are just lots of commas and odd sentences which wind on and on without saying an awful lot, but eventually saying quite a bit, if you can be bothered actually reading the rest of The Critique of Pure Reason which despite actually being really good, though wrong, is a f***ing pain in the arse to read.

Though I never write needlessly long sentences.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#14New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 22:05:28
Not being argumentative or condescending, but I was wondering if you could be specific in pointing out what passages you are referring to when talking about the Bible being poorly written?

, New Zealand
#15New Post! Jun 03, 2011 @ 22:22:08
@Leon Said

Not being argumentative or condescending, but I was wondering if you could be specific in pointing out what passages you are referring to when talking about the Bible being poorly written?

This is the first I grabbed at random from the net (in hopes that I don't accidentally send anyone screaming from coincidental reference to current events in their life).

"Matthew 13: 44

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hides, and for joy thereof goes and sells all that he has, and buys that field."

It takes a bit to work around the grammar and get a rudimentary idea of what Matthew was on about.

If I wanted to confudle Matthew just as much in response I would reply:

"Is of logical discovery that thy investeth thy estate for the land? Dirt and weeds is of not merryment to my deepest desires. Haveth thy plot and I shall make due with only thy treasure and be for there a ten eyed dragon of belly fulleth."
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs