Health & Fitness

Cold Sores (Herpes)

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#16New Post! Apr 30, 2012 @ 23:32:35
I don't know if this actually helps, but someone told me if you hold an ice cube to where you feel a cold sore is appearing immediately when you get that "tingly" feeling that it could prevent it from forming.

I did it once and didn't get a cold sore, but I also could not have been getting a cold sore when I thought I was.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#17New Post! Apr 30, 2012 @ 23:58:00
The supplement L-Lysine has been shown in studies to be effective at preventing outbreaks. It completes with the amino acid Arginine, which the virus needs in order to replicate. I have been taking 500 mg of lysine every day, and I don't get them anymore.

The other thing I discovered is that a very common treatment for cold sores is benzalkonium chloride. If you buy it packaged as a product for cold sores, it's $15 for 0.2 oz. But if you buy it bottled as generic antiseptic solution such as Bactine, or the ear care antiseptic sold by jewelry stores like Claire's for preventing piercing infections, it's about $8 for 20 oz. Exact same chemical, just as effective, and waaay cheaper.
cammie On May 04, 2013

Deleted

, Australia
#18New Post! May 01, 2012 @ 00:24:37
@Lili Said

The supplement L-Lysine has been shown in studies to be effective at preventing outbreaks. It completes with the amino acid Arginine, which the virus needs in order to replicate. I have been taking 500 mg of lysine every day, and I don't get them anymore.

The other thing I discovered is that a very common treatment for cold sores is benzalkonium chloride. If you buy it packaged as a product for cold sores, it's $15 for 0.2 oz. But if you buy it bottled as generic antiseptic solution such as Bactine, or the ear care antiseptic sold by jewelry stores like Claire's for preventing piercing infections, it's about $8 for 20 oz. Exact same chemical, just as effective, and waaay cheaper.

This!!!!!

L-Lysine is fantastic. My boys dad used to get cold sores regularly, and hasnt had one now for 10 years.

A good Zinc and Magnesium supplement can help prevent them also
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#19New Post! May 01, 2012 @ 11:19:27
OK, Pat! I broke down and bought a tube of Abreeva.....sore ALMOST GONE now. Best spent $20.00, IMO. I KNOW where I got this, and Lysine won't cure it.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#20New Post! May 01, 2012 @ 22:08:34
@BozieFozie Said

OK, Pat! I broke down and bought a tube of Abreeva.....sore ALMOST GONE now. Best spent $20.00, IMO. I KNOW where I got this, and Lysine won't cure it.

Mine is almost gone as well. I got it yesterday too. The Abreeva really works well. It was worth it. The weather today might create a set back, but I still have both the carmex and the abreeva still. Money well spent. I looked into it. Sounds effective, but I'm still skeptical of the Lysine though.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs