Forums: Entertainment:
Radio

Classic Rock Stations Updating

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
Tigerstar7 On February 03, 2024

#1New Post! Jun 14, 2018 @ 06:12:48
For context, I was born in 1996. I've always loved classic rock (or any rock and metal before I was born) since I could listen to music. Sure, I enjoyed the occasional modern rock song, but it was different. In a way, classic rock and modern rock were two separate worlds for me.

But the other day I tuned into a classic rock station and was caught off guard. Suddenly after a Van Halen song I heard Disturbed's Down with the Sickness. I almost thought I was on the wrong station, but the DJ identifying the station confirmed it was the classic rock station.

Disturbed's Down with the Sickness, I realized, was now 18 years old.

It makes sense that 18 years would count as classic, after all that's an entire generation. But man I'm just not used to it.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Jun 14, 2018 @ 11:38:10
Yes, I felt the same way when I started hearing Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam and such on "Classic Rock"
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Jun 14, 2018 @ 11:43:46
Classic rock to me will always mean 1970s rock.

The "oldies" station here is playing 80s stuff.

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Jun 14, 2018 @ 12:15:39
There's a song out there - I can't remember who or what, but one line in it is something like "When did Guns and Roses become classic rock"

(I think it's that song that uses the Werewolves of London piano runs <I checked, they do give credit>

.. yes Guns and Roses show up on my Classic Rock station too
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#5New Post! Jun 14, 2018 @ 18:59:10
People still listen to the radio?

NE, Ohio
#6New Post! Jun 14, 2018 @ 19:14:31
@Leon Said

Nowadays it's only to and from work*.

At home, if I need random air-filling music, it's been Pandora.

*I'm about 1/2 way through a 2-month free trial of Serius XM courtesy of my auto insurance.
- I've locked on to Deep Tracks.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Jun 14, 2018 @ 21:00:47
about five years ago, stop listen to radio at night, it help go to sleep. I listen to 60's and 70's soft rock.

I stop listen to radio, because not the music. annoying radio commercials and morning radio hosts were not funny listen to me. they were boring to.

once in a full moon, I will listen to hard rock station for awhile. usually, there is one radio station doesn't Christmas music on Christmas eve and Christmas day. it usually a hard rock station. that I don't mind listen to sleep or put with for almost 48 hours.

being jewish, I think some radio stations on Christmas eve and Christmas day, would play the songs of " the fiddle of the roof " to be a fair.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Jun 15, 2018 @ 00:07:43
@mrmhead Said

Nowadays it's only to and from work*.

At home, if I need random air-filling music, it's been Pandora.

*I'm about 1/2 way through a 2-month free trial of Serius XM courtesy of my auto insurance.
- I've locked on to Deep Tracks.

Yeah.

All the entertaining DJs and talk show hosts moved to internet airwaves. Except those in NYC I suppose.

As far as music, radio playlists are utter crap compared to what you can put together, even if half-hearted and hastily done, through Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, etc.

There are a lot of professionally curated playlists out there through these services that are updated weekly as well, if you’re into discovering new music and/or music you haven’t heard yet.

And the world’s top DJs (Armin, Tiesto, etc), have weekly shows as well that you can usually find on the internet as well, such as podcasts and YouTube.

Relying on local AM/FM radio these days for audio entertainment is like sticking to rabbit ears for television.

#9New Post! Jun 15, 2018 @ 03:28:05
@Leon Said

Always do when in my car, and on Sunday mornings since they play reruns of Casey Kasem's American Top 40 from the 1980s
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#10New Post! Jun 15, 2018 @ 05:22:56
@Tigerstar7 Said

Always do when in my car, and on Sunday mornings since they play reruns of Casey Kasem's American Top 40 from the 1980s

I just stream s*** off my phone while driving via podcasts or Apple Music. Once I started doing that, I quickly no longer had a desire to return to radio. And this, despite having 3 of the longest running alternative rock stations in the country.

NE, Ohio
#11New Post! Jun 15, 2018 @ 11:40:16
I really like Pandora. You create your own stations by "seeding" it with a few artists and then it picks similar / related. And it may play alternate versions of familiar songs. And you can "tune" it with thumbs up or down on songs, or adding and removing artists to the seed.

I use the free versions, so there are still a few ads, but it seems like the farther off the beaten path you go, the fewer the ads.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#12New Post! Jun 15, 2018 @ 11:45:16
@Leon Said

I just stream s*** off my phone while driving via podcasts or Apple Music. Once I started doing that, I quickly no longer had a desire to return to radio. And this, despite having 3 of the longest running alternative rock stations in the country.

I do a lot of the same with my phone while driving, but I also do have a satellite radio which is awesome because I can listen to the same stations no matter where in the country I am. And there are actually some pretty cool stations.

I use Amazon prime music quite a lot too. And just plain old Youtube!

I mean...where else but Youtube could I have found this eleven minute gem? Yeah, it's worth all eleven minutes

(Right around 2 minutes the kid rocking the Barry gets insane)

@mrmhead Said

I really like Pandora. You create your own stations by "seeding" it with a few artists and then it picks similar / related. And it may play alternate versions of familiar songs. And you can "tune" it with thumbs up or down on songs, or adding and removing artists to the seed.

I use the free versions, so there are still a few ads, but it seems like the farther off the beaten path you go, the fewer the ads.

Pandora has actually turned me on to some artists who have become favorites just by hearing them in some of my personal stations.

Love it.

#13New Post! Jun 16, 2018 @ 01:36:48
@Leon Said

My problem with that is I don't have apple music. Then my ipod has such a large playlist if I just put that on shuffle, half of the songs will be stuff I'm just not in the mood for.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#14New Post! Jun 16, 2018 @ 01:42:00
my problem with apple music with my ipod, that when i put my ipod against my ear, to listen the music. a damn worm crawls in my ear.

i hate when that happen.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#15New Post! Jun 16, 2018 @ 16:51:08
@Tigerstar7 Said

My problem with that is I don't have apple music. Then my ipod has such a large playlist if I just put that on shuffle, half of the songs will be stuff I'm just not in the mood for.

Then use Spotify. It’s pretty much the same thing, but free. Sure, it has commercials, but so does your FM radio.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs