Religion

Circumcision

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
sono_hito On November 09, 2007

Provo, Utah
#1New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 06:49:52
There has been much debate about this. As well as many medical studies, many showing one way and the other on the physical impact. My issue is, if there is no conclusive evidence one way or the other, Is it morally/ethically correct to perform a circumcision on a child who has no say whatsoever? If its for religious reasons, what reasoning is there for doing this when they have no choice in the matter? "easier" will not be accepted as an answer.

For those wondering my opinion. I feel that if you really want one, have it as an adult when there is less a chance of complication, you can fully understand the reasoning of whats going on, and you can make that decision fully aware of the consequences.
skanky_hoe On January 18, 2007

Deleted

melbourne, Australia
#2New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 06:52:51
I think its uneccessary. If it needs to be done I'm sure a guy can make that decision when he's old enough to take that responsibility for himself
nine_days On May 09, 2007

Deleted

, California
#5New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 07:24:25
I guess I didn't actually answer the question...

No, I don't think it is unethical to circumcise children who are too young to have a say in the matter. Body modification is common in every culture throughout history. I really don't care if it makes no medical difference, it makes an aesthetic difference. Plus, getting it done later in life is extremely painful and inconvenient.
dragonwars On July 30, 2009

Wellington, New Zealand
#6New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 07:26:30
I'm not religious and didn't get it done but I am considering it, a lot of guys find it more convenient after they've gotten it done, its not something the child is going to regret when they are older so i don't see why not

Deleted

, California
#7New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 07:30:15
I've heard some women say "What if he resents me for having him circumcised?"

If he has nothing better to do in his adult life than lament his lost foreskin, your decision to circumcise is the least of your parenting failures!
dragonwars On July 30, 2009

Wellington, New Zealand
#8New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 07:35:48
find someone who says they like their foreskin lol. I find it annoying just an operation is a kinda big thing...

Provo, Utah
#10New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 07:42:53
@nine_days Said
I've heard some women say "What if he resents me for having him circumcised?"

If he has nothing better to do in his adult life than lament his lost foreskin, your decision to circumcise is the least of your parenting failures!

thats a very shallow view. Its a permanent multilation of the body. Would you have that same argument if your mother had put a tattoo of a cross on your stomach?

Deleted

, California
#11New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 07:50:49
@sono_hito Said

oh, and as for the comment that people dont regret it later, i was as a child, and i regret it completely. and i know PLENTY of guys who feel the exact same. There are a few states that are allowing adults to sue parents/doctors for performing what is now in many circles considered mutilation. Thankfully, there are ways of reversing some of the effects. sadly, not all.

This is seriously something that people devote the time and expense of litigation to? How devoid of substance does your life need to be?

I hate to sound insensitive, but pull up your big-boy shorts and get over it.

Deleted

, California
#12New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 07:52:27
@sono_hito Said
thats a very shallow view. Its a permanent multilation of the body. Would you have that same argument if your mother had put a tattoo of a cross on your stomach?

If the tattoo was a common and desirable mark in my culture, I wouldn't have the slightest problem with it.

Provo, Utah
#13New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 07:55:47
im sorry that im a bit pissed that ive lost size and sensation from a very sensitive area, and how im pissed that it wasn't allowed to make that decision for myself. As i said in my last post, if this was something like a tattoo or other ritualistic scarification, then would people feel the same?

Provo, Utah
#14New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 07:57:27
I never see "conformity" as a reason to permanently modify my body.

Deleted

, California
#15New Post! Nov 19, 2006 @ 08:02:51
@sono_hito Said
I never see "conformity" as a reason to permanently modify my body.

Not conformity, aesthetics. I see no reason to deny a child a modification which will make him more attractive later in life. It's about increasing your child's overall fitness. Being desirable is a trait that greatly increases the quality of life for the individual.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs