Christianity "tainting" Paganism

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 19, 2006 @ 11:40:20
Does anyone know anything about this? The fact that when the church was trying to convert Pagans to Christianity about 1500 years ago, they took Pagan symbols, and practices and made them apear to be evil.

For example the Baphomet, it was a pagan god, but now it represents a modern view of Satan. Women, went from being respected in pagan times, to becoming second class citizens in Christian times.

On the other side the church used Pagan iconography and made it their own, so as to make people more used to Christian iconography. Like the Crucafix is similar to the Ankh. Or the way Halloween was taken to represent All Hallows Day, six months after all saints day, instead of it's traditional Celtic meaning.

Does anyone have any sources where i can look this up, or does anyone know much, or anything, about it?
shaggyjebus On August 26, 2008

Deleted

Goodlettsville, Tennessee
#2New Post! Aug 19, 2006 @ 11:45:54
I don't know where you can get info about it, but I do know a good bit about the stuff.

Christmas occurs on December 25th, in the middle of winter, to celebrate Christ's birth; however, in the Bible, the descriptions almost promise that the date couldn't have been then. Moreover, some Pope proclaimed that Christ's birth would be celebrated on December 25th to coincide with the traditions - it seems that many "gods" or "princes" or whatever have been born in the middle of winter (from a virgin mother, no less). The date also coincides with the Pagan holiday, the Winter Solstice; this was done to replace the Pagan holidays with Christian ones.

Christians in the beginning were adamant about destroying Paganism. They did everything they could to get rid of the peaceful religion.
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#3New Post! Aug 19, 2006 @ 11:46:04
I can't give you any sorces on the internet, but I do believe that it wasn't so much the Christains that did that at first, but the Jews. Then, when it came to holidays Easter is Spring Equinox, and Christmas was first on Winter Equinox. There is rumor that Jesus wasn't even born in Dec, but the Christains needed some way to "get rid" of Winter Equinox, so they just said that he was.... I dunno a whole lot about it.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#4New Post! Aug 19, 2006 @ 11:48:22
@squirt_aka_casey Said
I can't give you any sorces on the internet, but I do believe that it wasn't so much the Christains that did that at first, but the Jews. Then, when it came to holidays Easter is Spring Equinox, and Christmas was first on Winter Equinox. There is rumor that Jesus wasn't even born in Dec, but the Christains needed some way to "get rid" of Winter Equinox, so they just said that he was.... I dunno a whole lot about it.

I heard that it was the powerful european leaders who did it, some of which werent even christian, but saw christianity as a way of getting more powerful (e.g. the Roman Emperor).
shaggyjebus On August 26, 2008

Deleted

Goodlettsville, Tennessee
#5New Post! Aug 19, 2006 @ 11:50:49
I've found these: https://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa.htm
https://www.bede.org.uk/frazer.htm

They seem to have a good bit of information about the subject or related subjects.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#6New Post! Aug 19, 2006 @ 11:51:12
@shaggyjebus Said
I've found these: https://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa.htm
https://www.bede.org.uk/frazer.htm

They seem to have a good bit of information about the subject or related subjects.

Thanks!
knerba On May 13, 2011

Sandy, Utah
#7New Post! Aug 19, 2006 @ 16:18:59
I believe the governments actually just tried to mix Christianity and Paganism together so that everyone would get along. All of the "Christian" holidays stem from Pagan ones. And the cross was actually used by some Babylonian religions centuries before Christ was born. Not to mention, historically the Romans did not crucify people on crosses so much as hung them on one wooden pole. If you go to a museum in Italy, you can see plenty of depictions of people hung on stakes, but only Jesus is represented as being hung on a cross.
socrates13 On September 15, 2006

Columbus, Ohio
#8New Post! Aug 20, 2006 @ 00:12:50
Quote:
Not to mention, historically the Romans did not crucify people on crosses so much as hung them on one wooden pole. If you go to a museum in Italy, you can see plenty of depictions of people hung on stakes, but only Jesus is represented as being hung on a cross.

Crucifixion was first used by the Carthiganian's and that is who the Roman's borrowed it from. I find it difficult to believe a wooden stake would have survived up to our present time. Why would someone keep it?

Crucifixion was seldom written about by historians as it was considered too crass for proper writing. Martin Hengel's book "Crucifixion" is probably the most detailed study of the subject in print.

christa On January 14, 2009

, Canada
#9New Post! Aug 20, 2006 @ 00:43:50
sorry i dont know much about anything lol
socrates13 On September 15, 2006

Columbus, Ohio
#10New Post! Aug 20, 2006 @ 09:02:20
Quote:
sorry i dont know much about anything lol

On the flip side it probably means you live an interesting life and don't spend all of your time reading old dusty books and are old before your time as I am.

Socrates13
sono_hito On November 09, 2007

Provo, Utah
#11New Post! Oct 22, 2006 @ 07:41:59
Alot of it was that since people where unfamiliar with the traditions of christianity/chatholocism and so they did a 2 fold plan of making evil their gods, and converting concepts of religous practice into a semblance that made things easier for the native people to understand. As someone noted earlier christmas was originaly a pagan celebration of the winter solstice (dec 21). The changes became so widespread that they never changed them back to their original christian forms and kept many pagan practices and symbolism. true christianity has been lost to all but the esoteric scholars. but seeing as how more and more people are converting to one for of paganism or another, the real reason for the season will shine through eventualy i hope.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Oct 22, 2006 @ 10:31:53
check out April Fools day!
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#13New Post! Oct 23, 2006 @ 00:21:53
Yes. Many of the rituals and celebrations of the Christian church were "pagan" 1st.

"yule tide"...as in "yule tide carols"...;two thousand years before Christ was celebrated by the Aryans.

the "christmas trees"...evergreen trees" celebrated as a symbol of eternal life by germanic tribes.

Christmas...winter solstic.

the virgin mary...Isis

easter egg

this is a small list, but the reality is extensive.

christians were not very original.
sono_hito On November 09, 2007

Provo, Utah
#14New Post! Oct 23, 2006 @ 01:08:38
no they werent. but they had to force their "truth" on them some how. and people wonder why we are starting to bash christianity so bad? im beginning to find people that actualy learn a few tidbits about history! maybe humanity isnt as doomed as i thought.
delicate_snow_princess On February 18, 2007

Deleted

In a sunny dream, Florida
#15New Post! Oct 23, 2006 @ 01:12:35
@shaggyjebus Said
I don't know where you can get info about it, but I do know a good bit about the stuff.

Christmas occurs on December 25th, in the middle of winter, to celebrate Christ's birth; however, in the Bible, the descriptions almost promise that the date couldn't have been then. Moreover, some Pope proclaimed that Christ's birth would be celebrated on December 25th to coincide with the traditions - it seems that many "gods" or "princes" or whatever have been born in the middle of winter (from a virgin mother, no less). The date also coincides with the Pagan holiday, the Winter Solstice; this was done to replace the Pagan holidays with Christian ones.

Christians in the beginning were adamant about destroying Paganism. They did everything they could to get rid of the peaceful religion.

Christmas is normally seen as the day of Christ's birth but it is actually the date of the immaculate conception.

That would mean that Christ's real birth would have occured near September.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs