Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#61New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 02:30:03
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Variation is not evidence of anything. If diversity (or, variation), is evidence for naturalism, then it *must* be true that non-variation, or, cloning, is evidence for theism. This is logic that has broken.

Variation is a fact, and, it is remarkably neutral. That does not stop people claiming it as evidence, but they are wrong when they do so.

Variation by itself is not necessarily evidence of anything, but it can be evidence of some things. You have to take each individual situation on its merits. I did say that diversity was a principle, not an absolute.

I think you're deliberately applying warped logic to muddy the waters of what was actually intended by the comment.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#62New Post! Mar 04, 2012 @ 02:37:49
@Jennifer1984 Said

Variation by itself is not necessarily evidence of anything, but it can be evidence of some things. You have to take each individual situation on its merits. I did say that diversity was a principle, not an absolute.

I think you're deliberately applying warped logic to muddy the waters of what was actually intended by the comment.

No. I was merely pointing out something I feared that you had failed to be aware of. Many people who subscribe to naturalism think that certain facts are evidence, when they are not. A fact is a fact, and people then interpret the fact. The interpretation has value as evidence, I suppose, but is limited to some extent, as the interpretation of the fact, is not related to the fact. This is true for both theists and atheists.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#63New Post! Mar 06, 2012 @ 00:46:29
@MadCornishBiker Said

Not sure what you are saying there

Look back to the original comment that started that. You implied that 'it's all down to natural selection', where 'it' was left ambiguous. I therefore assumed you were talking about everything, the universe, galaxies, and so on down the line and went from there.

Quote:

No but the fact that the alternative simply doesn't make any sense doesn't half make it more likely.

Again, to you. That doesn't hold true for other people

Quote:

No, I agree, genetics doesn't but people do. I have lost count of the number of people who have defended their choice of what can only be called unnatural sexual behaviour by saying "I was born that way" when what they really mean is "I want to be that way because I enjoy it and to hell with the harm it does to others who may decide to follow my example".

People do what they want. That I will not contend. What I will contend though is the notion that homosexuality, which you brought up mind you, harms other people.

Quote:

Which is the main reason I don't accept genetic predisposition as anything more than a feeble excuse for not exercising self control. Of course God cares about it, that is why He has caused so much to be written against it in His word. Why He has always advocated self control in the face of temptation.

Genetic predisposition is not meant to be anything more or less than what it is. What people use it as justification for is irrelevant.

Quote:

Yes I guess that is exactly what I am saying. Darwin, as I have said, didn't intend his original theory to do that, but the way others have twisted it afterwards has done so.

If the term "evolution" had stopped at its original base meaning of "improvement via change" there would be nothing wrong with it, but it has been warped into more than that. It has been warped into something accidental, not something planned and designed, which is why I now only use the term "adaptaion" to describe it.

And you missed my point. If we are going to shoehorn evolution to be guilty of the crimes and misconceptions of its followers than so too must we do that for things like religion.

If we are going to claim that 'because some evolutionary proponents do not believe in God then evolutionary theory removes God' than so too can we say that 'because some religious people caused agony and pain to people than so too does religion itself'.

Quote:

Evolution has also been warped into an "origination of everything alive" theory, whereas the evidence shows some basic things appearing, apparently from nowhere and then developing into other varieties according to changes in environment for whatever reason, just as mankind has done.

By Creationists. Several people on here, have for the past several months at least, tried to explain why this is not actually the case.

Quote:

That doesn't follow. All other creation accounts are copies or distortions of the original. The fact the the traceable written records of them may predate the ones we now know of for the biblical accounts does not mean that there were not other copies of it lost long ago, before Moses put them all together. Think about it.

And we assume THEY are distortions and the one in the Bible is the original on the basis of what exactly?

Quote:

That is not what I am saying, mine stops at "The guidance of the Bible is perfect because the author was perfect." The fact is that His guidance is perfect is because He is perfect, not the other way around. You are the one who is bending it into a circle, not me.

Then where does the justification for the idea that God is perfect come from? Why should we assume that God is perfect to begin with?

Quote:

That doesn't actually make sense. At least, not as you have written it there.

We cannot use the notion that there are some things we do not yet understand and use it to argue against the veracity of science.

Quote:

That too is not exactly a logical statement.

For a start God didn't "do nothing". For another since we are only talking about the dry land, or at least I was, then if the whole of the dry land is in one continent then any place is gathered into one place, but not without action on God's part. The same could be said for the seas because by gathering the dry land into one place the waters automatically ended up in one place by the same action.

No, by gathering the land into one place, by default, the waters don't end up in 'one place' they end up 'in every place not where dry land is'.

Quote:

Nothing I have said even comes close to implying that, only the way you have chosen to bend things, as you have.

The absurdity is that everything has to come from somewhere and if it didn't come from God, where did it come from?

The notion that it came from God does not remove the error. Saying in response that it came from God is the equivalent to saying that rain comes from the sky. It doesn't actually say anything.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs