Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 07:11:40
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19058769

An American team coach has suggested that Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen's gold medal winning performance is "disturbing". Details are sketchy at this time but it appears the allegation is one of doping. He didn't actually use the word "doping", but in the terminology of sporting "diplomacy", there is little doubt that that's what he meant.

Ye's final 50 metres in the 400 metres individual medley victory in a world record time was faster than the equivalent length in the men's event..!!

This is the first allegation of its kind at these Games and has prompted a media storm in the press.

Ye will have had to provide a urine sample for testing and of course, any evidence of doping will result in her being stripped of her medal and probably given a lengthy ban. It makes you wonder why anybody would do it.

It is possible that a form of masking agent could conceal evidence of drugs abuse. Cheats always try to stay one jump ahead of testing procedures. But anybody thinking of cheating had better make sure they stay a very loooooong jump ahead. Samples are kept for 8 years and when advances are made in testing protocols,they are re-tested using the new technology.

If Ye has used drugs to enhance her performance she will be looking over her shoulder until 2020. Is it worth it..?

Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 08:27:38
I remember the Chinese female swim team suddenly bursting on to the scene in the 1990s, going from zero gold medals in their entire history to something like 20 golds in a few years, sparking an outcry from the media covering the Olympics, with the East German scandals of the 1980s still fresh on everyone's mind. I think the suspicions later proved to be true as they were all caught. So this has precedent.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#3New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 08:34:34
"From nothing to four Golds at the 1992 World Champs and the 1992 Olympics to 12 Golds at the 1994 World Champs. That kind of improvement is questionable. At the 94 Asian Games, 11 Chinese women swimmers tested positive for dihydrotestosterone; at the 96 Olympics they only won a single gold medal, and no positive tests. 98 World Champs and four swimmers tested positive, plus human growth hormone was found in a swimmer's luggage. Before the 2000 Olympics, China removed four women from its squad for odd test results and no swimmer from China earned any medals. At the 2004 Olympics, none of the swimmers tested positive and they earned one gold medal. That is a a lot of up and down in the medal count, and a lot of positive drug tests."

https://swimming.about.com/od/swimmingolympics/tp/Olympic-Swimming-Controversy.htm
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#4New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 08:37:02
And it looks like our friend Bob Costas even got into the act.

"During the 1992 Barcelona and 1996 Atlanta Opening Ceremonies, Costas' remarks on the China Team's possible drug use caused an uproar among the American Chinese and international communities. Thousands of dollars were raised to purchase ads in the Washington Post and Sunday New York Times, featuring an image of the head of a statue of Apollo and reading: 'Costas Poisoned Olympic Spirit, Public Protests NBC.' However, Costas' comments were made subsequent to the suspension of Chinese coach Zhou Ming after seven of his swimmers were caught using steroids in 1994. Further evidence of Chinese athletes' drug use came in 1997 when Australian authorities confiscated 13 vials of Somatropin, a human growth hormone, from the bag of Chinese swimmer Yuan Yuan upon her arrival for the 1997 World Swimming Championships. At the World Championships, four Chinese swimmers tested positive for the banned substance Triamterene, a diuretic used to dilute urine samples in order to mask the presence of anabolic steroids. Including these failed drug tests, 27 Chinese swimmers were caught using performance enhancing drugs from 1990 through 1997; more than the rest of the world combined."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Costas
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 08:42:55
i've said it before ... the olympics is a competition of which country has the best performance enhancing drugs .
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#6New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 08:45:32
@offbeat Said

i've said it before ... the olympics is a competition of which country has the best performance enhancing drugs .

Former East Germany has an even sadder story, as the swim athletes didn't even realize they were being doped...

"It is now known that East Germany was systematically doping its athletes. Many of them did not really understand what was being done to them at the time, but they do now. What are the warning signs that can be seen in meet results? Medals won by East German Women's Swimming in the Olympics: 1964 - 0; 1968 - 6 (2 gold); 1972 - 5 (0 gold); 1976 - 18 (11 gold); 1980 - 26 medals (11 gold); 1984 - did not attend, boycott; 1988 22 (10 gold). When East Germany collapsed and unified with West Germany (now just Germany) the doping files were found, doctors and sport directors were taken to court, and the sad, brutal East German doping stories became public. No medals were adjusted by the IOC."

https://swimming.about.com/od/swimmingolympics/tp/Olympic-Swimming-Controversy.htm

london, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 08:51:07
@Leon Said

Former East Germany has an even sadder story, as the swim athletes didn't even realize they were being doped...

"It is now known that East Germany was systematically doping its athletes. Many of them did not really understand what was being done to them at the time, but they do now. What are the warning signs that can be seen in meet results? Medals won by East German Women's Swimming in the Olympics: 1964 - 0; 1968 - 6 (2 gold); 1972 - 5 (0 gold); 1976 - 18 (11 gold); 1980 - 26 medals (11 gold); 1984 - did not attend, boycott; 1988 22 (10 gold). When East Germany collapsed and unified with West Germany (now just Germany) the doping files were found, doctors and sport directors were taken to court, and the sad, brutal East German doping stories became public. No medals were adjusted by the IOC."

yeah i heard about that .... i think some of the females had to change gender afterwards ... although i'm not sure about that
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#8New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 08:53:18
Apparently, people became suspicious when they noticed a testicle hanging out of her swimming costume...
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#9New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 08:54:32
1976 East German swimmer.

Yes, that's a female.

london, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 08:55:29
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Apparently, people became suspicious when they noticed a testicle hanging out of her swimming costume...

just like ms man, the gym teacher in scary movie .... i'd post a pic ,but my computer wont do it .

london, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 08:56:16
@Leon Said

1976 East German swimmer.

Yes, that's a female.

jeez ...she's got bigger nuts than me .
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 09:11:42
@Leon Said

It's true that China has a history of doping but that doesn't mean they are doing it now. In my opinion it would be better to wait until the IOC have finished testing Ye's sample rather than pre-empting the outcome.

If indeed, Ye is found guilty of doping, then the IOC will, I am sure, take appropriate action. If Ye is to be disgraced in the eyes of the world, it should be by proper procedure and with sound evidence, not by a witch hunt.

Speaking on the BBC less than half an hour ago, Ian Thorpe (an Australian swimmer and multi gold medal winner from the Sydney and Athens Games), who is working for Auntie Beeb as a studio pundit in London said, as best I can repeat:

"Look, whenever an athlete wins by a large margin, the losing team often suspect drugs and whether that is sour grapes or just disappointment I don't know but I think it would be better if they said nothing until the results of the tests are known."

As the conversation went on he also said "Did anybody accuse Michael Phelps of drugs taking in Beijing..? If anybody's performance was out of this world, his was, and yet, rather than cast doubt on his achievements we all applauded him."

Common sense words, but as with all things where human nature is involved, it isn't as simple as that. If Ye's sample comes back clean, the inference will then be that she used methods to conceal the drugs use. Whether she is innocent or guilty, she is now tarnished by accusation alone, and that's not fair.

I think there should be a deterrent in place to prevent these damaging accusations. The IOC should look into the effect of pre-emptive allegations for future games and put in place severe measures. A scale of punishments for bringing the Games, and other athletes into disrepute could see simple fines at one end of the scale, but rising to the ultimate deterrent of removing that coach, and the athletes under his charge from the rest of the Games. If the prospect of that doesn't shut them up, nothing will.

Nothing good is gained from such allegations and I'm sure the individual concerned knew that. Perhaps, with the US team struggling in the pool, in comparison to Games gone by, and seeing the Chinese rising to overtake them in this traditional area of American dominance, he is attempting to put them under pressure and on the back foot.

Perhaps he is simply trying to divert criticism away from the paucity of his own team's performance in relation to the level of expectation back home.

Of course, I'm speculating. Only he knows his real motivationfor doing what he's done. But whatever the reason for this unnecessary and as yet unproven allegation, it's something that simply wasn't needed.

Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#13New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 09:22:30
@Jennifer1984 Said

It's true that China has a history of doping but that doesn't mean they are doing it now. In my opinion it would be better to wait until the IOC have finished testing Ye's sample rather than pre-empting the outcome.

If indeed, Ye is found guilty of doping, then the IOC will, I am sure, take appropriate action. If Ye is to be disgraced in the eyes of the world, it should be by proper procedure and with sound evidence, not by a witch hunt.

Speaking on the BBC less than half an hour ago, Ian Thorpe (an Australian swimmer and multi gold medal winner from the Sydney and Athens Games), who is working for Auntie Beeb as a studio pundit in London said, as best I can repeat:

"Look, whenever an athlete wins by a large margin, the losing team often suspect drugs and whether that is sour grapes or just disappointment I don't know but I think it would be better if they said nothing until the results of the tests are known."

As the conversation went on he also said "Did anybody accuse Michael Phelps of drugs taking in Beijing..? If anybody's performance was out of this world, his was, and yet, rather than cast doubt on his achievements we all applauded him."

Common sense words, but as with all things where human nature is involved, it isn't as simple as that. If Ye's sample comes back clean, the inference will then be that she used methods to conceal the drugs use. Whether she is innocent or guilty, she is now tarnished by accusation alone, and that's not fair.

I think there should be a deterrent in place to prevent these damaging accusations. The IOC should look into the effect of pre-emptive allegations for future games and put in place severe measures. A scale of punishments for bringing the Games, and other athletes into disrepute could see simple fines at one end of the scale, but rising to the ultimate deterrent of removing that coach, and the athletes under his charge from the rest of the Games. If the prospect of that doesn't shut them up, nothing will.

Nothing good is gained from such allegations and I'm sure the individual concerned knew that. Perhaps, with the US team struggling in the pool, in comparison to Games gone by, and seeing the Chinese rising to overtake them in this traditional area of American dominance, he is attempting to put them under pressure and on the back foot.

Perhaps he is simply trying to divert criticism away from the paucity of his own team's performance in relation to the level of expectation back home.

Of course, I'm speculating. Only he knows his real motivationfor doing what he's done. But whatever the reason for this unnecessary and as yet unproven allegation, it's something that simply wasn't needed.

No argument on any of this, and I'm sure the IOC is handling this the correct way.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#14New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 15:38:28
@Leon Said

And it looks like our friend Bob Costas even got into the act.

"During the 1992 Barcelona and 1996 Atlanta Opening Ceremonies, Costas' remarks on the China Team's possible drug use caused an uproar among the American Chinese and international communities. Thousands of dollars were raised to purchase ads in the Washington Post and Sunday New York Times, featuring an image of the head of a statue of Apollo and reading: 'Costas Poisoned Olympic Spirit, Public Protests NBC.' However, Costas' comments were made subsequent to the suspension of Chinese coach Zhou Ming after seven of his swimmers were caught using steroids in 1994. Further evidence of Chinese athletes' drug use came in 1997 when Australian authorities confiscated 13 vials of Somatropin, a human growth hormone, from the bag of Chinese swimmer Yuan Yuan upon her arrival for the 1997 World Swimming Championships. At the World Championships, four Chinese swimmers tested positive for the banned substance Triamterene, a diuretic used to dilute urine samples in order to mask the presence of anabolic steroids. Including these failed drug tests, 27 Chinese swimmers were caught using performance enhancing drugs from 1990 through 1997; more than the rest of the world combined."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Costas

You know how some celebrities and sports personalities google their names, I wonder if our friend Bob does this and if so, will he see our comments about him.

If case he googles his name, I want to say hi to Bob.

To the topic, I have always wondered how people think they can get away with this. These are just allegations and innocent until the blood tests come back but many have been caught. Canada had its own scandle years back with Ben Johnson(sp). Its disgusting and such a shameful act.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Aug 12, 2012 @ 06:28:08
As a little update on this issue, and as we are on the last day of the Games, I did a little digging and found the details of all those whose test samples have returned positive for banned substances during London 2012.

A total of 12 samples returned positive (to date) compared to 12 in Sydney, 27 in Athens and 18 in Beijing. Would anybody like to guess which nation has provided the most positive results since the turn of the Millenium..?

In London 1 positive sample has been returned from each of the following countries: Syria, Russia, Brazil, Uzbekistan, France, Morocco, Moldova, Columbia, Albania, Italy, St Kitts & Nevis and USA.

0 from China.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs