Children don't belong to religion

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 27, 2007 @ 20:37:58
If anyone has read 'the God delusion' by Richard Dawkins, they will be well aware of this problem.

In a religious family, the children are brought up to believe that the family's particular religion is true and this view will stick with them and eventually pass on to their children. This is a form of child abuse, since it is taking away a child's ability to choose their own way of life and instead forcing the parent's own views on the children. Indoctrinating children into a religion is a brainwashing process in it's own right and should be seriously frowned upon by any moral person.

Also, it is utterly inappropriate and unfair to label any child as a 'Christian child' or a 'Muslim child' or a 'Sikh child' or a member of any other religion since they are far to young to even comprehend religion and it's consequences for their life, let alone decide to become a member of one. It is the same as labelling a child a Marxist, a conservative, a fundamentalist or a member of any other ideology which they could not possibly understand fully or responsibly decide to follow.

Parents have a responsibility to teach their children to quetion what they are taught and to make their own decisions based on reason and rationality, instead of forcing an ideology on them which they may not have otherwise agreed with.

Discuss.
suckslikeafox On August 03, 2009

, Ireland
#2New Post! Jul 27, 2007 @ 20:40:01
A great book, thats was one of my favourite points of his
ugly_ducky On September 30, 2008

Jurassic Pond,
#3New Post! Jul 27, 2007 @ 20:43:11
Oh look another religion bashing thread.
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#4New Post! Jul 27, 2007 @ 20:45:29
so eager to push away
so unwilling to embrace
dumdedum On July 07, 2009

-, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 27, 2007 @ 20:46:26
f***ing hell. What's with you agaisn't religion today.
OK> Here we go. Let me explain this. I am I Catholic and growing up I believed in God. But for a period of my life I questioned it...I questioned my own religion. I asked my Mum why she believed in God and she said 'because that's how I was brought up' which I never thought was a good enough argument...and you knwo it isn't. BUT I was never brainwashed in my opinion. Even though I hated that I was confirmed at an age where I wasn't sure about God...and even if I didn't believe in God now I am grateful for my upbringing. It taught me right from wrong, it gave me a good childhood and has helped me be who I am whether I believe in God or not. I have Athiests for friends also brought up in Christianity who feel the same. THIS IS NOT a form of child abuse and the people who tell people it is in my opinion are bitter and twisted people. Why can you not just live and let live?
pug On December 09, 2009

, Ireland
#6New Post! Jul 27, 2007 @ 20:55:22
I was bought up a catholic, I don't think it has done me any harm other than other people have got at me for being catholic, that's what happens in religion, I am still a catholic, but I don't follow their rule book, nor do I preach, and I am not that happy about bring my own children up catholics or any other religion, There are so many religions that it has f***ed up the world.
spongebobsmycumrag On December 10, 2009

Lichfield, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jul 27, 2007 @ 22:34:38
i don't think the majority of religions to teach to young kids, as long as you leave enough space in the heads to be open minded to make their own decisions,

i also think that much of the hostility aimed towards religions are because of cowards hiding behind their supposed "faith". I know of a few people who have grown up hating their parents because of they're over zealous preachings and twisted views on teachings that were written in, and meant for a time when things had to be a little more "black or white", in turn they're hatred of they're parents and the way they were abused made them pass partial blame on to the faith of the family,
xphile2868 On July 01, 2015

Preston, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jul 28, 2007 @ 01:42:55
I persoanlly believe that children should be atught how to search for their own beliefs and values, to question authroity and the status quo and to always seek knowledge. If I was a father, I wouldn't try to mould my child to believe in a certain religion or political ideaolgue, because that would be creating a drone that just acceots what they are given. Its best for children if they are encouraged to find beliefs they are comfortable with and to encourage them to debate them.
negasable On August 05, 2008

Deleted

West Side, California
#10New Post! Jul 28, 2007 @ 01:47:04
@buffalobill90 Said
If anyone has read 'the God delusion' by Richard Dawkins, they will be well aware of this problem.

In a religious family, the children are brought up to believe that the family's particular religion is true and this view will stick with them and eventually pass on to their children. This is a form of child abuse, since it is taking away a child's ability to choose their own way of life and instead forcing the parent's own views on the children. Indoctrinating children into a religion is a brainwashing process in it's own right and should be seriously frowned upon by any moral person.

Also, it is utterly inappropriate and unfair to label any child as a 'Christian child' or a 'Muslim child' or a 'Sikh child' or a member of any other religion since they are far to young to even comprehend religion and it's consequences for their life, let alone decide to become a member of one. It is the same as labelling a child a Marxist, a conservative, a fundamentalist or a member of any other ideology which they could not possibly understand fully or responsibly decide to follow.

Parents have a responsibility to teach their children to quetion what they are taught and to make their own decisions based on reason and rationality, instead of forcing an ideology on them which they may not have otherwise agreed with.

Discuss.

My view, religion, you trade many freedoms for an organized belief system. One is in the beginning where they make choices by their religion. Religion may take away from freedom, but it gives people something to believe. I also think that parents should give their child a choice.

-, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jul 28, 2007 @ 09:22:45
Yeah this is all well and good but children are too young to be as sophisticated in their thinking to make a choice. Isn't it sort of nice to give them something to believe in. To tell them that if they are ever upset and need to talk to someone they can talk to Jesus. I mean that's what I grew up in. It does dpeend on how strict your parents are with religion, I was lucky. I was also taught to have my own views too about stuff such as sex and divorce. But the point being children don't have those views yet. I think it is good to give them a comfort such as a friend to talk to in the form of religion. I don't believe in organized religion at all personally, it has done many bad things, but at home with a child I think it is nice to give them that kind of footing into the world. I was never tuaght to fear God for example. I was always taught he can understand you and help you to be better if you know you've done wrong. I think that's a very positive thing to teach very young children just until they can make their own minds up. And to say it's always brainwashing is a very pressumtious and bitter thing to say.

Preston, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jul 28, 2007 @ 12:02:24
@dumdedum Said
Yeah this is all well and good but children are too young to be as sophisticated in their thinking to make a choice. Isn't it sort of nice to give them something to believe in. To tell them that if they are ever upset and need to talk to someone they can talk to Jesus. I mean that's what I grew up in. It does dpeend on how strict your parents are with religion, I was lucky. I was also taught to have my own views too about stuff such as sex and divorce. But the point being children don't have those views yet. I think it is good to give them a comfort such as a friend to talk to in the form of religion. I don't believe in organized religion at all personally, it has done many bad things, but at home with a child I think it is nice to give them that kind of footing into the world. I was never tuaght to fear God for example. I was always taught he can understand you and help you to be better if you know you've done wrong. I think that's a very positive thing to teach very young children just until they can make their own minds up. And to say it's always brainwashing is a very pressumtious and bitter thing to say.

I've never known anyone who was told as a child, or who tells their child, that they can talk to Jesus. Far better that they actually tell an adult who cares for them rather than resorting to a guy who probably never existed.

-, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jul 28, 2007 @ 12:07:31
@xphile2868 Said
I've never known anyone who was told as a child, or who tells their child, that they can talk to Jesus. Far better that they actually tell an adult who cares for them rather than resorting to a guy who probably never existed.

I find that a bit ignorant.
Yeah I could talk to me parents
but i was taught it as a option.
To snnub a religion like that is unfair. I don't tell you you talk to imaginary people.

Preston, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jul 28, 2007 @ 12:12:06
@dumdedum Said
I find that a bit ignorant.
Yeah I could talk to me parents
but i was taught it as a option.
To snnub a religion like that is unfair. I don't tell you you talk to imaginary people.

I'm not against religion, I'm just saying that its better for a child to talk to another person who can offer help and/or advice.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013