n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 05:06:54
Autopsy finds boys died from asphyxiation

This is really very sad .
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 17:17:08
It is, such a tragedy that this happened. Poor boys and I really feel for the family.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#3New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 17:44:52
Some interesting comments from the article:

"I have never known a non-venomous snake to kill something it did not seek as food. Venomous snakes only do when they're threatened. This still don't feel right."

"You are exactly right. They don't "constrict" out of fear. Nor do they kill just to kill. Have you seen what type of python this was?"

I find it interesting that they don't even tell the story. Not even a clue how it happened.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#4New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 18:06:47
@someone_else_again Said

Some interesting comments from the article:

"I have never known a non-venomous snake to kill something it did not seek as food. Venomous snakes only do when they're threatened. This still don't feel right."

"You are exactly right. They don't "constrict" out of fear. Nor do they kill just to kill. Have you seen what type of python this was?"

I find it interesting that they don't even tell the story. Not even a clue how it happened.

I looked for the pictures on the mom's facebook that is mentioned in the article but there are 65 albums, plus about 20 different 'groups' of pics on her page.
A 100 pound snake is a fair sized serpent and either or both of those boys would make a right sized tasty meal . Every time I her about a young child being killed or almost killed by a snake kept in the home or in the same 'space' as little kids it freaks me out to think a parent will trust that ,just because it lives in a glass box, the 'nature' of the serpent is domesticated .
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#5New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 18:54:37
@white_swan53 Said

I looked for the pictures on the mom's facebook that is mentioned in the article but there are 65 albums, plus about 20 different 'groups' of pics on her page.
A 100 pound snake is a fair sized serpent and either or both of those boys would make a right sized tasty meal . Every time I her about a young child being killed or almost killed by a snake kept in the home or in the same 'space' as little kids it freaks me out to think a parent will trust that ,just because it lives in a glass box, the 'nature' of the serpent is domesticated .

I Googled the story and found out more. But before I go into that, Newsers' slogan is "Read Less, Know More." I can agree with the "read less" part but the articles from there are just snippets. Teasers. Practically no information available. To that end...

1) The python was not theirs, it was their neighbor's. The neighbor lived in an apartment above his pet shop.

2) The python didn't eat them.

3) These boys were at a sleepover at the python owner's house. Mom wasn't there (presumably). The boys were having a sleepover with the neighbor's son BUT

a) the neighbor's son was sleeping in a different room. At a sleepover?

b) the snake allegedly escaped and went into the ducting and then crashed basically out of the ceiling and LANDED on these two young boys and then, supposedly, wrapped them and asphyxiated them. Nobody knew about it until morning. Allegedly.

The only way I could work that out in my head to not be foul play (besides being stupid with an illegal pet) is that the snake fell and landed on the kids, knocking them out (hence the no screaming) and then smothering them by sheer weight (explaining why the python didn't eat one).
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#6New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 19:03:47
@someone_else_again Said

I Googled the story and found out more. But before I go into that, Newsers' slogan is "Read Less, Know More." I can agree with the "read less" part but the articles from there are just snippets. Teasers. Practically no information available. To that end...

1) The python was not theirs, it was their neighbor's. The neighbor lived in an apartment above his pet shop.

3) These boys were at a sleepover at the python owner's house. Mom wasn't there (presumably). The boys were having a sleepover with the neighbor's son BUT

b) the snake allegedly escaped and went into the ducting and then crashed basically out of the ceiling and LANDED on these two young boys and then, supposedly, wrapped them and asphyxiated them. Nobody knew about it until morning. Allegedly.

The only way I could work that out in my head to not be foul play (besides being stupid with an illegal pet) is that the snake fell and landed on the kids, knocking them out (hence the no screaming) and then smothering them by sheer weight (explaining why the python didn't eat one).

There has been a lot of speculation as to why the snake did what it did.

Here are some facts, that type of snake is illegal in that area to own.

Another fact, the snake had gotten out before and the owner was aware the snake had gotten out before.

The autopsy revealed the snake did in fact constrict the boys which resulted in their death.

As to exactly how the snake got out, how it happened to get on the boys and why it did what it did is all pure speculation at this point and we may never know.

The RCMP killed the snake and at least on local news the RCMP said they are not at this time pressing charges on the snake owner saying the snake owner feels guilty enough that criminal charges would serve no purpose.

And yes, you are correct, the snake was owned, illegally BTW, by the person who lived above the pet shop.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#7New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 19:07:15
@DorkySupergirl Said

There has been a lot of speculation as to why the snake did what it did.

Here are some facts, that type of snake is illegal in that area to own.

Another fact, the snake had gotten out before and the owner was aware the snake had gotten out before.

The autopsy revealed the snake did in fact constrict the boys which resulted in their death.

As to exactly how the snake got out, how it happened to get on the boys and why it did what it did is all pure speculation at this point and we may never know.

The RCMP killed the snake and at least on local news the RCMP said they are not at this time pressing charges on the snake owner saying the snake owner feels guilty enough that criminal charges would serve no purpose.

And yes, you are correct, the snake was owned, illegally BTW, by the person who lived above the pet shop.

Thank you. This was the one piece of information missing from what I read. I'm actually slightly relieved in a way, to find out they really were killed by the snake.

This was all so senseless and tragic.

, Canada
#8New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 19:18:04
@someone_else_again Said

Thank you. This was the one piece of information missing from what I read. I'm actually slightly relieved in a way, to find out they really were killed by the snake.

This was all so senseless and tragic.

I think the autopsy results were only released today. And another tings only released today is that 15 animals have been seized from that pet shop. Dept of Natural Resources obtained a warrant to search that shop and they are taking 15 animals with them. They are illegal exotic animals, right now RCMP and DNR is not saying if they were for sale or pets. They Moncton Zoo, about three to four hours from Campbellton is assisting in placing the exotic animals and assisting in their care.

They are not saying what animals have been seized.

It was stated by Moncton SPCA, who gives pet stores their licenses that this pet store NEVER had a license.

And I was wrong, the RCMP released the comment last night that the autopsy proved the boys died from asphyxiation.

The store was not always a pet store and it seems the SPCA never gave them a permit which is needed to be a legal pet store.

n/a, New Mexico
#9New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 19:21:55
@someone_else_again Said

It's been a while since I have had kids young enough to go to a or have a sleep over , but If memory serves . Isn't the idea for all the kids to be together in the same room, so they can do silly kid stuff till they just can't keep their eyes open? And with that said, It sounds like the first of a whole string strange unanswered questions.

About 98% of the time there is a link or two some where in the newser article linking to the full story in one of the major newspapers. My computer is old and slow ,<<<( I'm not complaining , I'm explaining) I can be half way though the days news stories on newser before just one story from one of the 'major news source load.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#10New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 19:24:21
@DorkySupergirl Said

I think the autopsy results were only released today. And another tings only released today is that 15 animals have been seized from that pet shop. Dept of Natural Resources obtained a warrant to search that shop and they are taking 15 animals with them. They are illegal exotic animals, right now RCMP and DNR is not saying if they were for sale or pets. They Moncton Zoo, about three to four hours from Campbellton is assisting in placing the exotic animals and assisting in their care.

They are not saying what animals have been seized.

It was stated by Moncton SPCA, who gives pet stores their licenses that this pet store NEVER had a license.

And I was wrong, the RCMP released the comment last night that the autopsy proved the boys died from asphyxiation.

The store was not always a pet store and it seems the SPCA never gave them a permit which is needed to be a legal pet store.

The thot plickens!

I had read asphyxiation, too. Unfortunately, that doesn't rule out any people.

The rest of that ... wow.

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 19:30:43
@DorkySupergirl Said

No Way !!! This is nuts. (bold text)
An illegal 100 pound 'pet' snake with a history of escaping it's habitate, small children in the home , at the very least it would be child endangerment .
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#12New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 19:33:33
@white_swan53 Said

It's been a while since I have had kids young enough to go to a or have a sleep over , but If memory serves . Isn't the idea for all the kids to be together in the same room, so they can do silly kid stuff till they just can't keep their eyes open? And with that said, It sounds like the first of a whole string strange unanswered questions.

Yeah. Exactly.

@white_swan53 Said

About 98% of the time there is a link or two some where in the newser article linking to the full story in one of the major newspapers. My computer is old and slow ,<<<( I'm not complaining , I'm explaining) I can be half way though the days news stories on newser before just one story from one of the 'major news source load.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Some news is better than no news I guess.
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 19:36:42
There's been quite a bit in the media about this over here, it was reported the snake escaped through a hole into a vent and that it may have thought they were prey as they'd been playing with animals earlier in the day.

RIP.

, Canada
#14New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 19:43:18
@someone_else_again Said

The thot plickens!

I had read asphyxiation, too. Unfortunately, that doesn't rule out any people.

The rest of that ... wow.

I did not read the autopsy but the RCMP are on record as well as the snake expert and cornorer saying the death is consistent with constriction from a snake resulting in asphyxiation. There is no foul play. The death really was proven to be the result of the snake.
@white_swan53 Said

No Way !!! This is nuts. (bold text)
An illegal 100 pound 'pet' snake with a history of escaping it's habitate, small children in the home , at the very least it would be child endangerment .

I think the snake owner should be charged. This is not the first time the snake got out, the snake is illegal to have in NB and it killed two kids. The RCMP said they are not ruling ever bringing about charges but right now are not seeking to charge the pet owner but that could change as the investigation is still ongoing with the COD only being released last night.

As my local news brings updates, I shall update this thread as information becomes available.

n/a, New Mexico
#15New Post! Aug 08, 2013 @ 19:44:35
@someone_else_again Said

Yeah. Exactly.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Some news is better than no news I guess.

Some of the 'crap' that is published as news is just that 'crap'. I can pick the stories I think are worth the time t taes for them to load and skim past the worthless stuff.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs