The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Child Abandonment; is this an okay policy?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
72 Hour Law?
Yes, probably better for the child in the long run.
No, this should not be legal for any child of any age anywhere.
Depends on the situation.
I don't know.
View Results
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#1New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 21:17:59
Nebraska has a Child Abandonment Law that allows parents to drop off any child of any age at "Safe Haven Centers" (mainly hospitals).

Quote:
Nebraska enacted its safe-haven law in July 2008.In most states, the law allows mothers of new babies to leave their children at safe facilities, such as hospitals and fire stations. Nebraska's wording of the law didn't limit the term "children." Instead of just infants, parents could drop off and leave children up to age 17.

Read more: Nebraska Child Abandonment Law | eHow.com https://www.ehow.com/about_6330941_nebraska-child-abandonment-law.html#ixzz1MeO0CPxl

Quote:
According to "Time," 34 children, none of whom were infants, were left at Omaha hospitals between September and November of 2008.

Read more: Nebraska Child Abandonment Law | eHow.com https://www.ehow.com/about_6330941_nebraska-child-abandonment-law.html#ixzz1MeOtMhfA

This outrage has sparked a new bill to be presented in the Nebraskan Senate that only allows children that are 72 hours old to be abandoned.

Quote:
In November 2008, the Nebraska legislature's judiciary committee started a special session to rewrite the law. The revised Nebraska law states that safe haven is given only when the child is no more than 72 hours old. This makes Nebraska's age restriction one of the most stringent of the nation.

https://www.ehow.com/about_6330941_nebraska-child-abandonment-law.html

Personally, I like the 72 Hour Law better than just dropping any child of any age off (that's monstrous and terrible). This law is better than moms dumping babies in dumpsters and junk yards.
HOWEVER, you should know before you give birth what you're capable of and whether or not you want to parent. They should do the responsible thing and find an adoptive family.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#4New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 21:23:36
@Kristy69 Said

I agree, but with older children it's really not acceptable.
There's a whole lot more psychological issues there.

Well yeah dumping older kids off is not cool. By that point you should be a parent regardless of how they were conceived.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#5New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 21:27:41
I think any minor which is newborn to the age of 17 should be able to be dropped off.

As traumatizing as it maybe, kids face massive emotional, physical and verbal abuse by parents at ALL ages. And at least this way, the parents are recognizing that they can't handle them and are giving them up in a safe place.

Better than leaving them alone somewhere unsafe. And better than keeping them till they are eighteen and inflicting even more damage that can ruin them by the time they turn 18 and are adults without tools to survive.

While I find it horrendous that a mother can leave a 13 year old after so many years of taking care of them... its' better than most other alternatives.

As far as finding an adoptive family... other than family and friends, that would be extremely hard to do. Most people who adopt want kids that are younger not older. Those who are willing to give up their kids like this in the first place... its is usually a decision that clouded with so many things that it's not just simple as finding an adopted family.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#6New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 21:31:09
@Kristy69 Said

Psychological issues that can STILL be dealt with. I agree it's traumatizing but there are parents that are monsters out there too that are a lot worse or in really bad situations where dropping them at a safe haven is the right thing to do FOR the kids.

Teenagers can lose both parents in a car accident. That is traumatizing too but it can be dealt with properly. And these kids that get dropped off definitely will receive counseling because who doesn't recognize that this kind of thing is traumatizing?
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#7New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 21:36:18
@boobagins Said

Psychological issues that can STILL be dealt with. I agree it's traumatizing but there are parents that are monsters out there too that are a lot worse or in really bad situations where dropping them at a safe haven is the right thing to do FOR the kids.

Teenagers can lose both parents in a car accident. That is traumatizing too but it can be dealt with properly. And these kids that get dropped off definitely will receive counseling because who doesn't recognize that this kind of thing is traumatizing?

True, I just don't like that anyone can just dump off their kid because they just don't want to parent anymore. I feel like there should at least be some kind of consequence.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#8New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 21:56:25
What happens to children older than 72hours whose parents can't/won't look after them? There must be a reason they are abandoned, and I would rather kids could be dropped off at a safe, secure place then just ignored, neglected or abused.

Also, I don't think people will necessarily know whether they are capable of being a parent before giving birth. The idea of having children, and the reality can be very different things.

I understand the feelings at being able to just abandon children though. Is there nothing in the middle? Like here we have social services, and if a parent is struggling or can't look after their child it can be taken temporarily. Then the parent can get whatever help they need.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#9New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 22:07:46
@Kristy69 Said

It isn't acceptable, but Kristy, there are a lot of drug addict parents for example, who might drop the kid off with a drug dealer or something. Wouldn't it be better they are dropped off at a safe haven location? These kids are going to be psychologically damaged regardless, at least their physical well being will be better kept.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#10New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 22:13:48
@ninozara Said

Also, I don't think people will necessarily know whether they are capable of being a parent before giving birth. The idea of having children, and the reality can be very different things.

I whole heartedly agree with this. Though I will say that attitude makes a difference.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#11New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 22:44:56
@boobagins Said

I whole heartedly agree with this. Though I will say that attitude makes a difference.

I just meant that there are a lot of things beyond a persons control - illness, death, money. And knowing that you will be capable of taking care of someone for 18 years or longer is a bit naive. I mean, it does work out for most people, but not for everyone.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#12New Post! May 18, 2011 @ 12:51:15
I think it's a fantastic law. So sad for the kid; but then again, perhaps the parent knows that a living situation with them is more detrimental, maybe even potentially fatal...My hat is off to any parent who knows they can't BE a parent, (for whatever their reasons) who would take advatnage of this law.
It's the most selfless, caring, and responsible thing they could do.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs