Pages: 1 2
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#1New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 11:13:29
"Yemen has one of the highest rates of maternal mortality in the world"

"Girls too young to give birth die trying"

10 year old girl married and divorced in Yemen

I know that law in Muslim countries is so different from here! I'm still surprised that children are forced to marry, though. My heart breaks for her!
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#2New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 11:15:07
I met a girl that ran away from a Muslim arranged marriage she even changed her name to hide form her family.
CORN1SH On January 05, 2010

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 11:16:37
this is why our government doesnt have a problem with letting them integrate over here. their just like us afterall
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#4New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 11:22:28
Second Video
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 11:44:47
Poor girl. there's no justification for a 10 year old being married.

It's not so much a marriage as being a sex slave.
claudibee On November 13, 2009
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 11:59:19
Those videos were extremely dismaying. How the Islamic scholar towards the end of the first one can see no problem with child marriage is beyond me. On moral and compassionate grounds the problems should be glaringly obvious. Hillary Clinton's speech was all very well in its optimism but, when taken together with that poor child's subsequent experiences, I couldn't help feeling that the effect on her life was ruinous. Well done, Wingsy.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 12:05:27
and we wonder why theres so much abuse in this country....
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#8New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 12:09:21
@claudibee Said

Those videos were extremely dismaying. How the Islamic scholar towards the end of the first one can see no problem with child marriage is beyond me. On moral and compassionate grounds the problems should be glaringly obvious. Hillary Clinton's speech was all very well in its optimism but, when taken together with that poor child's subsequent experiences, I couldn't help feeling that the effect on her life was ruinous. Well done, Wingsy.

I completely agree with you Claudi. I was shocked that he saw no problem with child marriage, but I suppose if you live in a culture that allows it, it doesn't seem wrong. That little girl had so much courage to stand up and say "no more" but the impact is so harsh and cold.
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 12:14:07
@Wingsy Said

I completely agree with you Claudi. I was shocked that he saw no problem with child marriage, but I suppose if you live in a culture that allows it, it doesn't seem wrong. That little girl had so much courage to stand up and say "no more" but the impact is so harsh and cold.

You make a good point about cultures. It doesn't seem wrong because they're used to it, but at least there are some people there who are questioning the morality of such a thing. To think that, on a personal level, I'm being vigilant about Emma and her developing interest in the opposite sex and people over there think it's acceptable for such young girls to give birth (and die from being too young) is a complete culture shock.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 12:18:43
@claudibee Said

You make a good point about cultures. It doesn't seem wrong because they're used to it, but at least there are some people there who are questioning the morality of such a thing. To think that, on a personal level, I'm being vigilant about Emma and her developing interest in the opposite sex and people over there think it's acceptable for such young girls to give birth (and die from being too young) is a complete culture shock.

their setting up shop here. thats the scary thing.
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#11New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 12:19:57
@CORN1SH Said

their setting up shop here. thats the scary thing.

But if they get caught marrying off children in countries that don't allow it, they're subject to the laws of that country.
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 12:22:29
@Wingsy Said

But if they get caught marrying off children in countries that don't allow it, they're subject to the laws of that country.

True, but here there have long been noises about allowing Sharia law to be practised here. Would our law be upheld or theirs?
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#13New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 12:23:42
@claudibee Said

True, but here there have long been noises about allowing Sharia law to be practised here. Would our law be upheld or theirs?

My opinion is this. If I go to Yemen, I'm subject to their laws. If they come to the US, they'd damned well better be subject to ours!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 12:25:19
@claudibee Said

not meaning LAW

talking about their MINDSET

muslim men think it perfectly ACCEPTABLE to look at minors in that way.

and what does our government do? LET EM IN!!
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Aug 27, 2009 @ 12:26:09
@Wingsy Said

My opinion is this. If I go to Yemen, I'm subject to their laws. If they come to the US, they'd damned well better be subject to ours!

I agree 100%! Let's hope common sense prevails.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs