Health & Fitness

Chantix to quit smoking

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
LovetheProcess On October 19, 2015

Plymouth, Massachusetts
#1New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 09:39:35
I am on Day 5 and have had 3 sleepless nights , I knew some people have vivid dreams that caused sleeping issues but I am worried I may never sleep again....is this drug speed under a new name. I literally feel my teeth buzzing about 2hrs after I take each pill. Wonder what that's all about. So anyone have the same issues? Did it work for you?
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#2New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 09:41:58
hope you manage to quit, good luck
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#3New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 09:44:55
@LovetheProcess Said

I am on Day 5 and have had 3 sleepless nights , I knew some people have vivid dreams that caused sleeping issues but I am worried I may never sleep again....is this drug speed under a new name. I literally feel my teeth buzzing about 2hrs after I take each pill. Wonder what that's all about. So anyone have the same issues? Did it work for you?

Could be. I would speak to the doctor who prescribed it for you. They would be able to monitor the symptoms and make recommendations. I just quit cold turkey shortly after meeting my hubbie to be, since he HATED the smell of ciggies in any form!! Best of luck to you, it's a hard one to quit!

Plymouth, Massachusetts
#4New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 09:47:30
Thanks for the wishes of luck...I planned to call my Dr. today but still wondering how other people did on it, and what side effects they had.
blackfoot1964 On December 08, 2016

Dunstable, Massachusetts
#5New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 10:53:42
It was working quite well for me when I tried it to stop smoking. It was prescribed by my doctor at the VA. Unfortunately it had some nasty side effects. Sleepless nights and when I did manage to get some sleep, I suffered from homicidal ideations. You know, killing people that were close to me. I ended up in a lock down unit at the VA hospital for several weeks. Needless to say, because of my reaction to the pill as well as the reactions of untold others, the VA no longer prescribes Chantix to quit smoking. It is very effective in curbing the desire to smoke, however it tends to have some nasty side effects. The best of luck!

Plymouth, Massachusetts
#6New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 10:57:02
@blackfoot1964 Said

It was working quite well for me when I tried it to stop smoking. It was prescribed by my doctor at the VA. Unfortunately it had some nasty side effects. Sleepless nights and when I did manage to get some sleep, I suffered from homicidal ideations. You know, killing people that were close to me. I ended up in a lock down unit at the VA hospital for several weeks. Needless to say, because of my reaction to the pill as well as the reactions of untold others, the VA no longer prescribes Chantix to quit smoking. It is very effective in curbing the desire to smoke, however it tends to have some nasty side effects. The best of luck!

I was reading about a lot of them over the last few weeks but the more I read the more I wonder if it was a bad idea to start with. My Dr. said I shouldn't worry about sever depression or anything but then I read of suicides and attacks on others kinda scary...
blackfoot1964 On December 08, 2016

Dunstable, Massachusetts
#7New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 11:01:38
Go with your gut instinct. Doctors tend to prescribe the latest and greatest meds out there. I'm involved now in a program at the VA for veterans that suffer from PTSD. It combines the patch and mental techniques to cease smoking and seems to be working. What I've found is that you must really want and be determined to quit for any program to be effective. It is after all an addiction.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#8New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 11:14:19
That's scary. When I had quit for five months a few years ago I did well just sitting in my smoking spot chewing mentholated gum.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 15:40:25
There are a lot of side effects to champix, you must discuss these with a Doctor or Pharmacist. It can be dangerous without proper supervision.

Plymouth, Massachusetts
#10New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 15:59:32
Unfortunately my Dr. isn't the best and has yet to call me back...I should have changed doctors before I started chantix ...did you know the u.s. would not let them market it as champix because it sounded to much like a miracle drug name...
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 16:01:54
@LovetheProcess Said

Unfortunately my Dr. isn't the best and has yet to call me back...I should have changed doctors before I started chantix ...did you know the u.s. would not let them market it as champix because it sounded to much like a miracle drug name...

no i did not know that!

Can you call your pharmacist? I tried it for a couple of weeks but it made me feel depressed. I did quit with patches and inhaler.

Plymouth, Massachusetts
#12New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 16:07:41
@treebee Said

no i did not know that!

Can you call your pharmacist? I tried it for a couple of weeks but it made me feel depressed. I did quit with patches and inhaler.

I think that is what I will do, yea I was reading about side effects and found out about the name change also the same day I picked up my prescription the UK announced they will no longer assist in paying for the prescription due to a high risk of self harm, suicide, and harm to others...among other things.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 16:10:38
@LovetheProcess Said

I think that is what I will do, yea I was reading about side effects and found out about the name change also the same day I picked up my prescription the UK announced they will no longer assist in paying for the prescription due to a high risk of self harm, suicide, and harm to others...among other things.

Have you tried nicotine patches and inhalers?

Plymouth, Massachusetts
#14New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 16:14:12
@treebee Said

Have you tried nicotine patches and inhalers?

Patches I have tried twice have never been told of an inhaler it might not be available in the u.s. I have had many discussions with my Dr. and he never mentioned anything but patches, gum and this pill
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 16:18:34
@LovetheProcess Said

Patches I have tried twice have never been told of an inhaler it might not be available in the u.s. I have had many discussions with my Dr. and he never mentioned anything but patches, gum and this pill

https://www.nicorette.co.uk/cut-down-to-stop/inhalator I found the patches dealt with the physical craving but the inhaler helped with the habitual craving, needing to use hand to mouth. Also when feeling desperate you could get a nicotine hit with the inhaler. It tastes like s***, but when quitting nothing but tobacco will taste like tobacco.

I found that once you have stopped for a week or so the flavour you crave doesnt actually exist, its pure addiction that is messing with your mind.

Perhaps one of those smokeless cigarettes will do the same thing?

Anyways do carry on quitting because its so wonderful to get that monkey off your back.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs