Forums: Art & Literature:
Art History

Cezanne and Picasso help

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
cathylou On May 07, 2008

New York, New York
#1New Post! Apr 29, 2008 @ 15:53:44
I'm writing a comparative analysis between Cezanne's Still life with apples and pot of Primroses and Picasso's still life with a bottle of rum.

Here are the points I've got so far:

-both are still lives, and are housed at the met
-Cezanne depicts literal representation, Picasso depicts abstracted
-Cezanne's use of geometric shapes may have inspired the cubist style, which is what Picasso's piece is demonstrating. Both put emphasis on the sculptural angles and masses created by the still life.
-Cezanne's pallet is extensive while Picasso's pallet is limited.
-Both arists created a "modern" representation of otherwise traditional still lives.

Is anyone familiar with these paintings/movements/artists, and the context (cultural) under which these works were created?

I need more to say, but I'm not sure what. I believe that this is the first time, (or one of the first times) that Picasso incorporated text into his work.

...suggestions?
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 29, 2008 @ 15:56:17
I'm familiar with both artists...
I've studied lots of work by both of them.
Not sure of the paintings you're asking about though, and I was never very good at writing about them, so I don't think I'll be much help. Sorry
cathylou On May 07, 2008

New York, New York
#3New Post! Apr 29, 2008 @ 15:59:28
Thanks anyway Laura.

Regarding Cezanne, I'm curious about why he painted so many apples towards the end of his life. hat was he trying to do? How were they received? Was it a challenge, to represent something average as modern? Or were there just no models around? I feel like what he was doing must have inspired the early cubists...right?
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 29, 2008 @ 16:00:11
Yeah he did paint a lot of apples didn't he I noticed that while doing a lot of research about him earlier in the year.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#5New Post! Apr 29, 2008 @ 16:04:18
@cathylou Said
...suggestions?

Cathylou! singular: still-life; plural (in this case!)ought to be: stills-life

Suggestions:

1. Show what you are speaking about!

Still Life with a Bottle of Rum Source

Still Life with Apples
Source

2, Read....
Part-time Nidologist

#6New Post! Apr 29, 2008 @ 16:12:52
@x_laura_x Said
Yeah he did paint a lot of apples didn't he I noticed that while doing a lot of research about him earlier in the year.

What recourse did he have? It was either apples or the sagging fruit on his available models!
cathylou On May 07, 2008

New York, New York
#7New Post! Apr 29, 2008 @ 16:13:37
ahh, thank you for the catch and the photos.

In my reading I've found some text on what Picasso was doing, but very little on why/what Cezanne was doing.

eta: Thanks a lot, the source link for the apples is helpful.
Part-time Nidologist

#8New Post! Apr 29, 2008 @ 16:18:52
@cathylou Said
ahh, thank you for the catch

I wouldn't trust that... while logically correct, who knows what the grammar powers have dictated!

cathylou On May 07, 2008

New York, New York
#9New Post! Apr 29, 2008 @ 18:08:22
Ok, I've got a decent chunk written. If anyone feels like being a mensch and looking over it for me, I'd be muchly obliged. Hit me up with a PM.

I'm a little stuck as to where to go next. Does anyone have a jstor account? A good journal or reference on how to write about art would be helpful...
blonde_testing124 On June 30, 2008

BLAH, Antarctica
#10New Post! Jun 30, 2008 @ 23:45:00
wait, you know heaps! Can't help you sowwy.
imhotep On November 18, 2009

St Dogmaels, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jun 30, 2008 @ 23:50:07
Cezzanne painted the essence of the apples
Picasso painted the multi viewpoints of a bottle
both share a mastery of draughtsmanship
have you been to see them in the gallery?
if you go ask somebody there who's looking at the painting
what they think.
imhotep On November 18, 2009

St Dogmaels, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jun 30, 2008 @ 23:52:26
Cezzanne used the sphere cone and cube to represent the essence of apples
Picasso expanded the idea adding multi viewpoints
spaniard On August 25, 2008

miami, Florida
#13New Post! Aug 06, 2008 @ 23:03:56
this may be too late... but here it is anyways. cezanne was a great impressionist painter who used painted still lives, portraits, and landscapes in a different way. he did many still lives. like how van gogh sure liked sunflowers, cezanne liked apples. he saw them not as apples, but as a form of shapes and colors. apples are popular artist still life models. if you actually try to paint an apple, and not dissect it into shapes, forms, and color, you'll end up with a kind of bad representation of an apple. impressionists, and post-impressionists were in competition with photographers at the time. photographers basically stole the thunder of the painters. so they came up with a new way to look at things. something photography couldnt do. thats basically what cezanne's intentions for the apple still lives.

picasso abstracted his still live. its like a hierarchy in imagery. realim, impressionism, abstract. theres other styles in and arund that, but whatever. abstract is more of an imagination rather than truth. if you look long and hard, you'll see bits and pieces of a bottle. but picasso doesnt want things to be that simple. he also incorporated ofther things in the painting thats not rum bottle. like, theres refference to msheet music, spanish wine bottles, letters (which may be from the bullfighting magazine "el torero" or it could just be him being a dork, and putting "LETR" in there because it his 1st time using letters in his painting, and he just wanted to incorporate it as a joke for being "letra" spanish for word, or "lettre" french for word.
spaniard On August 25, 2008

miami, Florida
#14New Post! Aug 06, 2008 @ 23:06:15
***and by word i mean letter***
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs