Cervical Cancer Vaccine...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
bellestrange On March 08, 2012
Coo Coo Kachoo

South Australia, Australia
#1New Post! Nov 29, 2006 @ 02:54:24
The Australian gov has made Gardisil, a vaccine for women/girls that guards against cervical cancer, available through the PBS(Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme).
Aimed at young girls (primary school age), the drug will also be available to girls aged 13-18 yrs in a catch up scheme, and 18-26 year olds for a 2 year period from their GP's next year.
The vaccine provides protection from cervical cancer, and could guard against human papiloma virus which is known to cause the tumors.
I think this is a great use of taxpayer's money...finally they are thinking with their heads and not their own pockets...
Only hope this fantastic Australian drug will be made available to women everywhere, thus decreasing the occurrence of this disease.

What do you think?
garfunkel On December 29, 2008
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#2New Post! Nov 29, 2006 @ 02:58:54
Isn't it still really expensive for those not at school? I heard something like it still cost us a few hundred dollars. I could be wrong.

I think its a step towards the government doing something about it, but if it is costing that much that I heard, theres still a lot more the government should be doing.
undergroundpunk On December 17, 2010

Las Vegas, Nevada
#3New Post! Nov 29, 2006 @ 02:59:50
Thats nothing for the price of cancer.
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#4New Post! Nov 29, 2006 @ 03:01:10
@undergroundpunk Said
Thats nothing for the price of cancer.

But for a lot of people they simply cant afford to pay that much!
twiztidangel On May 19, 2010
Why So Serious?

kingdom of muggles, Canada
#5New Post! Nov 29, 2006 @ 03:01:57
perhaps insurance should cover it lol
undergroundpunk On December 17, 2010

Las Vegas, Nevada
#6New Post! Nov 29, 2006 @ 03:05:17
It's horrible though. Where humans, and we do this to each other. Simply because we don't have enough money.

They would price air if they could.
Coo Coo Kachoo

#7New Post! Nov 29, 2006 @ 03:12:47
@garfunkel Said
Isn't it still really expensive for those not at school? I heard something like it still cost us a few hundred dollars. I could be wrong.

I think its a step towards the government doing something about it, but if it is costing that much that I heard, theres still a lot more the government should be doing.

18-26 year olds can get it via the PBS, so you'd be right, Garf. I think the idea was to start off by helping young women get it, as the majority of women older than 26 could probably afford it more easily...
Otherwise I guess its up to the individual and there own fiancial situation/priorities. Regular pap smears are still effective so long as they ARE regular and people don't become complacent and not bother going back for their results...
Coo Coo Kachoo

#8New Post! Nov 29, 2006 @ 03:16:01
@twiztidangel Said
perhaps insurance should cover it lol

yeah right, private health is stingey as over here, and if I understand, you'd still have to pay a gap which IMO, defeats the purpose...
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#9New Post! Nov 29, 2006 @ 03:21:36
@bellestrange Said
18-26 year olds can get it via the PBS, so you'd be right, Garf. I think the idea was to start off by helping young women get it, as the majority of women older than 26 could probably afford it more easily...
Otherwise I guess its up to the individual and there own fiancial situation/priorities. Regular pap smears are still effective so long as they ARE regular and people don't become complacent and not bother going back for their results...

Oh ok. I still think the government shouldn't stop here. The price of the vaccine is just way too high. A lot of people just won't be able to afford to get it and the price will just deter people from getting imo..if it was more affordable, i think the initiative would have a much greater success in vaccinated women.

Personally for myself, if it is the price that I've heard, I know I can't afford that at this point in time. I just don't have the spare cash to be able too. And I know you can't put a price on health, but its just not that simple sometimes
Coo Coo Kachoo

#10New Post! Nov 29, 2006 @ 03:35:26
@garfunkel Said
Oh ok. I still think the government shouldn't stop here. The price of the vaccine is just way too high. A lot of people just won't be able to afford to get it and the price will just deter people from getting imo..if it was more affordable, i think the initiative would have a much greater success in vaccinated women.

Personally for myself, if it is the price that I've heard, I know I can't afford that at this point in time. I just don't have the spare cash to be able too. And I know you can't put a price on health, but its just not that simple sometimes

I agree, I couldn't afford it either. I just wanted to let people know that it is available to some, so at least they can benefit from it.

This quoted from ninemsn...kinda says that they tried to lower the cost a bit...?? If not only for themselves :

The total cost is estimated to be $436 million between 2006-07 and 2009-10," he said.(Howard)
"The original price, I understand, was in the order of about $600 million."

The government's Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee (PBAC) created controversy earlier this month when it rejected a $150 million-a-year proposal to immunise all young women aged 12 to 26, saying it was not cost effective.

But Mr Howard and Health Minister Tony Abbott stepped in and said the drug would be made available as soon as manufacturer CSL offered the right price.

Hopefully that means it will eventually become more affordable for eaveryone...
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#11New Post! Nov 29, 2006 @ 03:36:39
@bellestrange Said
I agree, I couldn't afford it either. I just wanted to let people know that it is available to some, so at least they can benefit from it.
"The total cost is estimated to be $436 million between 2006-07 and 2009-10," he said.
This quoted from ninemsn...kinda says that they tried to lower the cost a bit...?? If not only for themselves :

"The original price, I understand, was in the order of about $600 million."

The government's Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee (PBAC) created controversy earlier this month when it rejected a $150 million-a-year proposal to immunise all young women aged 12 to 26, saying it was not cost effective.

But Mr Howard and Health Minister Tony Abbott stepped in and said the drug would be made available as soon as manufacturer CSL offered the right price.

Hopefully that means it will eventually become more affordable for eaveryone...

here's hoping
Coo Coo Kachoo

#12New Post! Nov 29, 2006 @ 03:41:30
Thanks for taking an interest, guys...
skanky_hoe On January 18, 2007

Deleted

melbourne, Australia
#13New Post! Nov 29, 2006 @ 06:40:26
I thought they it was only available for free to girls in year 7 or something from now on... I didn't think they would everyone get it. Also I thought they were charging something like $400 dollars for it for everyone else? And don't you have to be a virgin for it to work? just stuff I've heard
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#14New Post! Dec 02, 2006 @ 02:01:00
I saw a commercial on this the other night. Of course most of you know that I'm a cancer survivor and i crusade for a cure every chance I get so this subject is close to my heart even though it's not the kind of cancer I had.

I have an employee at work that is 18 and she's just found out that she has cervical cancer, very sad indeed.
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#15New Post! Dec 02, 2006 @ 02:04:58
@wildchild Said
I saw a commercial on this the other night. Of course most of you know that I'm a cancer survivor and i crusade for a cure every chance I get so this subject is close to my heart even though it's not the kind of cancer I had.

I have an employee at work that is 18 and she's just found out that she has cervical cancer, very sad indeed.

at 18? Thats so young. You think oh it won't happen to me, im too young..but it can strike anyone, its scary
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs