Racism

Census Take Heat For Use Of The Word "Negro"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#1New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 05:02:47
https://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6814629.html So this is just one example of this issue of the term "Negro" being used to describe, classify, and refer to Blacks here in America!!!! It's BIG deal folks.....
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 11:02:52
People would go apes*** here if they put Negro on a census.

What is the history of this term "Negro"? I am under the impression it is an enirely offensive term.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 11:17:22
Isn't Negro just French for black? Wouldn't that be like describing white people as Blanc?
retep On May 18, 2010

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 11:17:22
@Spinkiegirl Said

https://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6814629.html So this is just one example of this issue of the term "Negro" being used to describe, classify, and refer to Blacks here in America!!!! It's BIG deal folks.....

The link says the following

?Negro? has remained on the form because the population counters kept getting forms back with the word written in ? more than 55,000 in the 2000 Census ? even though it was included as one of the selections. That suggested that some blacks still preferred the term and had not noticed it as a third choice.

The point was to be as inclusive as possible, to make sure the racial demographics were as accurate as could be, the bureau says.

Seems a reasonable explenation I dont think that in this day and age they were trying to hurt anyones feelings... but someone somewhere is going to get their knickers in a twist no matter what, and no doubt see if they can sue some poor sod for the trauma caused them.

Enter lawyer and weeping traumatised client who's life has been made so unbearable by this that only a couple of million will ever get them back on track to a normal life... and we hope put a stop the nighmares.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 11:22:34
@jmo Said

Isn't Negro just French for black? Wouldn't that be like describing white people as Blanc?

ahh yeah it is, so where the hell does the word negroid come from? which basically sounds like some kind of robot.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#6New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 11:25:12
I just looked it up.

Apparently 'Negro' was the term used when blacks found the term 'coloured' offensive. Negro was deemed a more suitable and less-offensive term. The reason it went out of disuse and 'Black' became more popular was due to 'Negro' being a term that had previously been used by slave owners. Although not racist in itself because some people related it to slavery it was decided that the term 'Black' would be more suitable so as to avoid any relation to slavery.

Essentially it can be racist if used in the wrong way, but isn't necessarily a racist word in itself as far as I can tell.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#7New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 11:26:14
@treebee Said

ahh yeah it is, so where the hell does the word negroid come from? which basically sounds like some kind of robot.

Negroid, never heard that term, but yeah it does sound robotic. Maybe thats what white nationalist robots will call their black painted counterparts in 100 years time.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 11:29:57
@jmo Said

I just looked it up.

Apparently 'Negro' was the term used when blacks found the term 'coloured' offensive. Negro was deemed a more suitable and less-offensive term. The reason it went out of disuse and 'Black' became more popular was due to 'Negro' being a term that had previously been used by slave owners. Although not racist in itself because some people related it to slavery it was decided that the term 'Black' would be more suitable so as to avoid any relation to slavery.

Essentially it can be racist if used in the wrong way, but isn't necessarily a racist word in itself as far as I can tell.

Cheers for that, I cant look up much at work.

I can understand why people would get upset over it.
retep On May 18, 2010

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 11:31:19
@jmo Said

Negroid, never heard that term, but yeah it does sound robotic. Maybe thats what white nationalist robots will call their black painted counterparts in 100 years time.

It refers to the typical physical characteristics of black people such as thicker lips... and the rest.

Chicago, Illinois
#10New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 02:13:37
@treebee Said

People would go apes*** here if they put Negro on a census.

What is the history of this term "Negro"? I am under the impression it is an enirely offensive term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro I didn't know that.....well, most blacks here in America......find the term "Negro" to be racially offensive!

Chicago, Illinois
#11New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 02:22:42
@retep Said

The link says the following

?Negro? has remained on the form because the population counters kept getting forms back with the word written in ? more than 55,000 in the 2000 Census ? even though it was included as one of the selections. That suggested that some blacks still preferred the term and had not noticed it as a third choice.

The point was to be as inclusive as possible, to make sure the racial demographics were as accurate as could be, the bureau says.

Seems a reasonable explenation I dont think that in this day and age they were trying to hurt anyones feelings... but someone somewhere is going to get their knickers in a twist no matter what, and no doubt see if they can sue some poor sod for the trauma caused them.

Enter lawyer and weeping traumatised client who's life has been made so unbearable by this that only a couple of million will ever get them back on track to a normal life... and we hope put a stop the nighmares.

I think maybe YOU just don't fully understand the term "Negro"...and the FACT that in this country...MOST blacks find the term to be racially offensive......for a number of justifiable reasons! Besides that....I don't see why we have a need to be accurate in the 'racial demographics' anyway.

Chicago, Illinois
#12New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 02:26:38
@jmo Said

I just looked it up.

Kudos....that was really helpful what you posted here...thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
#13New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 02:28:25
@treebee Said

Cheers for that, I cant look up much at work.

I can understand why people would get upset over it.

And Kudos for that as well.....
tantan On May 21, 2011

Jacksonville, Florida
#14New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 02:36:41
I don't find it offensive. And normally, I'm pretty damn sensitive when it comes to racial slurs of any kind, doesn't matter what race it's towards..
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#15New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 02:55:55
If the word "Caucasian" is on the census then the word "Negro" should be as well.

Caucasian is short for Caucasoid, and Negro is short for Negroid.

And Caucasoid and Negroid are the "accurate" terms for white and black people.

Just because people don't use them in conversation is no reason to dumb down the language.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs